Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone noticing any change in performance? Our PSD seemed to act up a bit last trip but seemed to level out after an hour or so....Only a couple hundred mile trip so can't say too much yet. Anyone else have any pro's or con's yet?

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2006, 12:56 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Anyone noticing any change in performance? Our PSD seemed to act up a bit last trip but seemed to level out after an hour or so....Only a couple hundred mile trip so can't say too much yet. Anyone else have any pro's or con's yet?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 11-13-2006, 03:02 PM   #3

No noticeable difference for me -- I've run 2 full tanks and don't feel any difference from either power or mileage.

2009 Komfort Trialblazer 285S
Riverdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 06:00 PM   #4

EPA standards for S15 has all the answers.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 10:41 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ray,IN: the site is informative for producers; but I didn't find anything there to tell me what effect this was going to have on my vehicle over the short or the long term. It really appears to be nothing more then a beurocratic bunch of flim flam and EPA rules which have been madated to begin this year.
There is no hard evidence telling us what effect this will have.
Folks with F250-350 PSD's that I've spoken with have noticed 1-2 mpg. less in mileage meaning this stuff has to burn more to do the same as before.
Anyone have any facts on it yet? Or is the Jury still out?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 11-15-2006, 03:56 AM   #6

I just got my truck back from the dealer .....again....Had the EGR and the Turbo cleaned AGAIN,,,,,I was told by the techs..to use a cetane booster or additive to help the diesle burn hotter and cleaner...which I have been doing...I was also told that the ULSD is perfect for the Ford sick litre engine..turbo and EGR because of its low low sulphur content..sulphur is like a lubricant in the fuel, and apparently that is what is causing the problem with these engine parts, it soesnt burn off and creates a scum(Coking) which sticks to the internal surfaces of the parts and eventually plugs them, during the engines conversion from one fuel to the other there may be a bit of "computer/sensor sickness) but it will adjust..use it evey chance you can .....dont hang the messenger, I am repeating what I was told....

2004 Keystone Sprinter LA 292FWRLS
Skip298 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2006, 04:01 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Skip: that is essentially what I have been told by the guys I work with that own PSD's.....as I had some strange reactions to mine as well what you're saying makes sense.

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 11-17-2006, 04:28 PM   #8

You're right woodburner. I'll take another stab at it. The effects of end users using S15(USLD) are discussed here. After several hours of sifting through pages of Google results I found two possible negative effects of using ULSD. The first is fuel system seal damage from the reduced aromatics in ULSD, the present buna-N seals in older diesel engines may leak. The second is unnecessarily high EGT. After all the dust settled I discovered sulphur is not a lubricant in diesel fuel after all. Lubrication is related to the aromatic content. The process of removing sulphur by higher than normal cracking temperatures also removes aromatics. Man, I've learned a lot researching engine damage from using ULSD. I'm kinda glad you pointed out my over-sight.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Old 11-17-2006, 04:39 PM   #9

Well__ here goes again. My rather long second post is lost in cyber-space I guess. I'll shorten this one up. Possible damage from ULSD use is seal damage, and unnecesarily high EGTs. After hours of reading results of a Google search I've educated myself. Sulphur is actually not a lubricant in diesel fuel. The reduced lubricity in ULSD is caused by the reduction in aromatics, which is a result of higher cracking temperatures to remove sulphur. If anyone has doubts, Google "ULSD engine damage", grab a drink and begin reading. Right now ULSD(S15) is somewhere near 15 cents higher than LSD(S50). the price should drop to 4-5 cents more as ULSD permeates the market place.. Approximately a 1% reduction is fuel economy is normal.
I've got to go now, my glass is empty.
Old 11-18-2006, 04:43 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Chevron article nailed it Ray; Thanks for the response! It really stinks that we have to keep switching fuels to meet some beaurocratic standards that end up costing the consumer more and more so the oil companys can profit....If we loose mileage; we burn more to accomplish what we did prior to the change; thus creating a need for more processing and more polution in the whole process. WHO REALLY BENEFITS FROM THIS CHANGE?

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 11-25-2006, 04:09 PM   #11

I lost about 1 mpg with the ultra low. It is here to stay, so I will be adding a shot of stanadyne every fill up.

Grandpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 03:45 AM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, on my 4th tank of the new stuff an am noticing small mileage difference but nothing to get my boxers in a bunch about! just hope that's the extent of it...

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
Old 11-26-2006, 06:02 AM   #13

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Now that we're in the winter of our discontent (at least for those of us that live in the north), are you seeing a drop in mileage because of:
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
<LI>The ultra-low diesel fuel?
<LI>The fact that we are now using "winterized" diesel fuel (which always causes a drop in mileage)?
<LI>A possible combination of previous two?[/list]I ask this because I just finished my first tank of ultra-low and my mileage seemed about the same if I assume the fuel I used is also winterized.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 04:02 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Contributor"

Posted November 26, 2006 10:02 AM Hide Post
Now that we're in the winter of our discontent (at least for those of us that live in the north), are you seeing a drop in mileage because of:

The ultra-low diesel fuel?

The fact that we are now using "winterized" diesel fuel (which always causes a drop in mileage)?

A possible combination of previous two </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I honestly couldn't say; all I do know is there is the little sticker on the pump verifying it is the ULDF/ 15 PPM

2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport