Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2014, 07:30 PM   #1

Lube for Equil-i zer WD components

Does anyone know what lube I can/should use on the WD spring arms where they ride on the L bracket?

I checked the manf website and they are very clever sand say you should use their lube or one like it, but not WD-40. Very helpful!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2014, 08:31 PM   #2

Pretty sure you DON'T lube the bars on the brackets. You have an integrated sway control system, so that is your sway control. Lube it, and you lose sway control.

Old 07-21-2014, 11:10 PM   #3

A small amount of lube on the L bracket and where the bar goes into the hitch, and where the hitch arms rotate makes a huge difference is quieting down the popping and grinding, and is recommended by Equalizer - that's why they sell the stuff. I would put a quarter size squirt on each L bracket etc everytime I hooked up. Hitch worked great and didn't turn everyone's heads when turning through the campground or gas station. Would go through a tube or so annually.
Old 07-22-2014, 06:40 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
The manual for my E-2 clearly states to NOT use lube on the bars where they contact the L brackets. As Jesilvas said above, that is how your sway control works, lube it, and you loose sway control.

So you have 2 options:
A. Quieter operation, weight distribution, and no sway control.
B. The grinding and squeaking during tight turns and backing, weight distribution, and sway control.

You pick
Old 07-23-2014, 07:11 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goneracin View Post
The manual for my E-2 clearly states to NOT use lube on the bars where they contact the L brackets. As Jesilvas said above, that is how your sway control works, lube it, and you loose sway control.

So you have 2 options:
A. Quieter operation, weight distribution, and no sway control.
B. The grinding and squeaking during tight turns and backing, weight distribution, and sway control.

You pick
The above is why it always pays to read your specific owners manual. You are referring to the E2 hitch which is not what I own - and the original poster states he has an Equalizer...I may be assuming wrong, but I am guessing he has the "original".

The Equalizer owners manual clearly states :

lubricating the socket joint may help reduce this noise, and is part of
the required regular maintenance routine.
lubricating the
l-bracket joint is
optional. A better solution is a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Bracket
Jackets™. They quiet the ride without the mess of using a lubricant.

I was also told I could lube the L brackets by an Equalizer tech support person. The E2 may be different.

Again, always check your owners manual.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:55 AM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wiresdave View Post
The above is why it always pays to read your specific owners manual. You are referring to the E2 hitch which is not what I own - and the original poster states he has an Equalizer...I may be assuming wrong, but I am guessing he has the "original".

The Equalizer owners manual clearly states :

lubricating the socket joint may help reduce this noise, and is part of
the required regular maintenance routine.
lubricating the
l-bracket joint is
optional. A better solution is a set of official Equal-i-zer brand Sway Bracket
Jackets™. They quiet the ride without the mess of using a lubricant.

I was also told I could lube the L brackets by an Equalizer tech support person. The E2 may be different.

Again, always check your owners manual.
I agree, thats why I said the manual for my E-2. I am aware that it is not the exact same setup. The manual for your exact setup should be followed, however, they both work on the same principal as to how they limit sway. Therefore, lubricating will lessen the anti sway effectiveness. For some, that is not a problem at all, and in that case, lubricating would have no negative effects. But if your setup is prone to sway, for whatever reason, then lubricating might not be the best idea.

The best bet is to probably buy the lube that your manual recommends and try it. If the trailer doesnt sway and is quieter, then good for you. If it does show some signs of sway and it makes you uncomfortable, then I would clean the lubricant off. It is really your personal preference.

Thats just my opinion
Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #7

Equalizer assured me there would no loss/lessening of sway control - but that there would be a mess if using grease. The L bracket jackets sounded like an ongoing cost as they are self sacrificial and must be replaced.

YMMV
Old 07-24-2014, 11:34 AM   #8

My hope for the lube was as much controlling rust as it was anything else.

One trip and my protective paint/coating is gone on the arms and bracket, now I am exposed to rust. I hate that. Maybe just some gun oil to protect it?
Old 07-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #9

I have an Equalizer brand WDH (some people use "equalizer" in the general sense), and I use a very light coating of axle grease on the brackets. It cuts down on the noise significantly.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:46 PM   #10

Should I lubricate my Equal-i-zer hitch?
Where should I lubricate my Equal-i-zer hitch?

Yes, as part of regular maintenance we recommend that you clean and lubricate the top and bottom of the spring arm sockets in the hitch head. How to do this can be viewed in our Installation product video.

From Equal-I-Zer website. Not sure where you guys are getting instructions to lube the sway control friction brackets.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:26 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post
Should I lubricate my Equal-i-zer hitch?
Where should I lubricate my Equal-i-zer hitch?

Yes, as part of regular maintenance we recommend that you clean and lubricate the top and bottom of the spring arm sockets in the hitch head. How to do this can be viewed in our Installation product video.

From Equal-I-Zer website. Not sure where you guys are getting instructions to lube the sway control friction brackets.
Page 26 of the owners manual which can be found here:

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/pdf/EQOwnersManual.pdf

I quoted directly from the manual.
Old 07-25-2014, 06:42 AM   #12

Also, found this on the sway jackets order page in small print:

"NOTE: Utilizing lubrication on the Equal-i-zer L-Bracket, in the form of the Sway Bracket Jacket or any grease type lubricant, may lessen or decrease your sway control by a small degree."

I was assured the "small degree" was in fact very small. I actually felt as if the whole system worked better with some grease, much less popping and grinding.

Some people are going to grease some aren't, Equalizer says both are OK. So maybe try it both ways, the grease is completely gone after a days drive, or you can wipe it off sooner, so it isn't a permanent commitment.
Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM   #13

I use the original Equalizer WD hitch and have for years. I tried grease on the L brackets and lost a good deal of sway. I since run it dry on those brackets letting it pop and grind. Watching people jump at the gas station is amusing. I'm going to look into the jackets this year as it would be nice to quiet things down a little. If sway isn't an issue for you then try the recommended lube on the brackets, it certainly did quiet things up. In all the years I've used the hitch, the spring bars didn't wear or really show any rust. The little L clips bend from use and I keep spares of those.

Joe
Old 08-04-2014, 09:20 AM   #14

Yeah, I just hte the sight of rust, will maybe just spray some gun oil on there to keep it in check.

Good idea about a spare L clip!