Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #1

hello I am new to all this and forums on the net.
I read them all the time just hunting info,but this is first I ever really paticipated at all. I hhave lots of questions for anyone who will listen and respond and it seems lot's of you have been this long to save me some serius headaches and shorten the learning curve.I was washing wheels on 5er and about had heart failure when lug nuts turned with fingertips!!!!Turns out they just goofy chrome caps on the real lugnuts but sure got my attention and made me wonder howoften should you check them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2007, 03:56 PM   #2

hello I am new to all this and forums on the net.
I read them all the time just hunting info,but this is first I ever really paticipated at all. I hhave lots of questions for anyone who will listen and respond and it seems lot's of you have been this long to save me some serius headaches and shorten the learning curve.I was washing wheels on 5er and about had heart failure when lug nuts turned with fingertips!!!!Turns out they just goofy chrome caps on the real lugnuts but sure got my attention and made me wonder howoften should you check them?

Old 05-07-2007, 04:13 PM   #3
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
On a brand new rig I'd suggest re-torquing after the first 50 miles. After that check them every several thousand miles unless the wheels have been removed for a flat, rotation, brake inspection, etc. Then check again after 50 miles.
Old 05-07-2007, 04:40 PM   #4

thanks I was concerned I need to check them every trip.I don't mind some prep work but I simply did not know with the 2 axles pullin sidways and all when you turn these things
Old 05-07-2007, 07:40 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Oklahoma Boomers Club
I never check them after the first few miles after changing the tires or removing the wheels, after that you are probably good to go. Might be a good thing to look at before a long trip though.
Vette Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #6

I check mine with a breakaway torque wrench before starting a trip, and then again about every three towing days. Occasionally I get about one flat of movement on one lug on one of four wheels. As I check tire air pressure daily when towing adding a torque check every three days is not a problem.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2007, 04:19 AM   #7

With steel wheels, if you see rust from the lug nuts, they are loose.
With aluminum, if you see what looks like oil stain from the lug nuts, they are probably loose. Jim

2001 Volvo "Suite-T"
maltruck8 is offline   Reply With Quote