Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2014, 04:07 PM   #1

Magnaflow mufflers

Well I pulled off my magnaflow cat back exhaust today to replace it with a gmpp cat back exhaust. Which is made by borla.

I removed the magnaflow system because of dron and a rattling noise. I had a magnaflow resonator also installed before the muffler. All this was installed at the same time and had 80 thousand km on them and was on the truck for 2 1/2 years. Magnaflow tells us that the wrap the inner pipe with stainless wool and then pack with rockwool. In the cut away picture you will see that all the packing has been burnt out.

So next time some one tells you magnaflow is a good product show them this picture that shows you that it is all show and no go.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	68887  
Fast0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2014, 08:46 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Di you report this information and photo or muffler to back to Magnaflow?

I replaced my OEM rusty mufflers with Magnaflow's two years ago and have had no problems. It delivers a Smooth, Deep Tone, is 100% Stainless Steel and has a Lifetime Warranty.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:54 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
That's one of the things that Flowmaster touts, they have baffles that do not blow out, but of course unless they are stainless, they eventually will rust out. We'll see how my MBRP holds up, but in the other thread Jim W. (jimcumminsw) was very happy with his after 5 years.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:01 PM   #4

Mine has the lifetime warranty. And I returned the cat back to my dealer and they refunded me. I went out and bought the gmpp which is made by borla which builds one of the best exhaust on the market.

And I am sure if we cut your magnaflow we will see no packing left in it. The deep sound you hear is all the packing blown out. And they use cheap 400 grade stainless so crawl under your truck and you will see everthing covered in rust.

Yes flowmaster goes on about the baffles. And funny part is they may sound good but actuall they flow the worst out of every muffler company out there.

Your mbrp should be in great shape for years to come.

Here is the wonderfull muffler also with no packing in it and look close you can see the hot spots where it would eventually burn through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	212.2 KB
ID:	68925  
Old 07-24-2014, 05:46 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

I had a Magnaflow turbo-back 409 stainless exhaust system on my diesel for over 10 years. It was still doing the job when I sold the truck. I don't know (and don't care) what was inside the straight-thru performance muffler, but as long as it sounds good with no droan, why should you care what's inside it? And as to the 409 stainless, that's what Ford uses for their OEM exhaust systems on diesels. Yeah, it's not a shiny chrome-looking finish and it looks awful after a couple of months, but the only people that ever see it are the grease monkeys that change the oil. That "ugly" on the 409 stainless exhaust parts is not the kind of rust that east up exhaust parts, BTW. It's just surface blemish that doesn't affect the life of the exhaust system. So what do I care that it's not shiny chrome-looking? The price difference between 409 stainless and 304 stainless is significant. If you can afford the extra cash for the 304 stainless, then good for you.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:01 AM   #6

According to this on LS1 engines, Borla is the clear winner. It's the quietest muffler but near the top in HP gains, at number 4.

Muffler flow and dB comparison, Hooker Maxflow & Bassani Real Street? - LS1TECH
gggplaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:06 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
I had a Magnaflow turbo-back 409 stainless exhaust system on my diesel for over 10 years. It was still doing the job when I sold the truck. I don't know (and don't care) what was inside the straight-thru performance muffler, but as long as it sounds good with no droan, why should you care what's inside it? And as to the 409 stainless, that's what Ford uses for their OEM exhaust systems on diesels. Yeah, it's not a shiny chrome-looking finish and it looks awful after a couple of months, but the only people that ever see it are the grease monkeys that change the oil. That "ugly" on the 409 stainless exhaust parts is not the kind of rust that east up exhaust parts, BTW. It's just surface blemish that doesn't affect the life of the exhaust system. So what do I care that it's not shiny chrome-looking? The price difference between 409 stainless and 304 stainless is significant. If you can afford the extra cash for the 304 stainless, then good for you.
Well thanks for sharing.

What packing inside is important due to the fact that's what makes a muffler sound and last. And yes ford and Gm and I am sure dodge also all use 400 grade stainless. My new exhaust is not all shiny that is a magnaflow thing to do. I am showing how this product does not hold up. And the fact the magnaflow tells us how good there product is.

I don't expect you to understand this and if you think your magnaflow system held up well that's great.

And yes I got a great deal from a company that knows how to build a real cat back exhaust system.