Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #1

Hi:
Need some help from the experienced RViers,
I own a 2001 Ford 250,Super Duty at this time it has 44K's its maintenance warranty has expired and I have the oil changed every 3K to
5K's.I'd like to keep this truck "forever".
What would you suggest to do to keep it in goog shape,(I put at least 10k'S MILES A YEAR)
I'd like to know for instance:how often would one change air filter)?Many thanks for your advice..........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2005, 06:08 AM   #2

Hi:
Need some help from the experienced RViers,
I own a 2001 Ford 250,Super Duty at this time it has 44K's its maintenance warranty has expired and I have the oil changed every 3K to
5K's.I'd like to keep this truck "forever".
What would you suggest to do to keep it in goog shape,(I put at least 10k'S MILES A YEAR)
I'd like to know for instance:how often would one change air filter)?Many thanks for your advice..........

Old 12-09-2005, 07:31 AM   #3

My truck is a Dodge, and I follow the owners manual suggestions. If I am towing I follow the more strict schedule, and if it will be some time before I tow again I use the more relaxed schedule. I keep a record of what I have done and the date and milage of the maintenance. So far so good. I have nearly 100,000 miles on the truck and almost 50,000 have been towing miles.
Retired Navy. 2001 Quad Cab 2500 Auto w/4:10 rear end. PRXB Pac Brake. Miller Manufacturing Truck Bed Cover and Rigged to tow a 1995 29' Automate 5th wheel with 1 slide out
cwsoules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2005, 07:52 AM   #4
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Here's a few:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Change green engine coolant every 45,000 miles.
<LI>Add 8 to 10 oz of VC-8 coolant additive to green engine coolant every 5,000 miles
<LI>Change automatic transmission fluid every 24,000 miles
<LI>Change engine oil and replace oil filter every 3,000 miles
<LI>Check engine air filter restriction gauge every 3,000 miles
<LI>Inspect and lubricate steering linkage, ball joints, suspension and, if equipped, half shafts drive shaft and u-joints every 5,000 miles
<LI>Inspect brake pads/shoes/rotors/drums, brake lines and hoses, and parking brake system every 24,000 miles
<LI>Inspect complete exhaust system and heat shields every 12,000 miles
<LI>Inspect engine cooling system and hoses every 12,000 miles
<LI>Inspect wheel ends for end play and noise every 50,000 miles
<LI>Lubricate 4x2 front wheel bearings, replace grease seals, and adjust bearings every 50,000 miles
<LI>Perform multi-point inspection every 12,000 miles
<LI>Replace engine air filter every 15,000 miles
<LI>Drain fuel filter every 5,000 miles
<LI>Replace fuel filter every 12,000 miles
<LI>Rotate tires every 5,000 miles[/list]
Your best plan would be to follow the owner's manual exactly. If you don't have one, sign up here for the Ford Owner site and they'll provide a schedule online.