Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2016, 02:11 PM   #43

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crack.40 View Post
The truck is rated for 10100 pounds I don't carry a lot with me just what we use. Going to take it to scale. Weight of the trailer as it sits is 7163? Why do I not have enough truck ?
There are many other things that add into this than just "Tow Rating", which is a marketing term more than an actual rating. You will never be told this stuff by a car, pickup truck, or RV salesperson.

- Payload (I think you already know about this from previous replies)
- Rear Axle Weight Rating (RAWR) What your rear axle can safely carry
- Front Axle Weight Rating (FAWR) See above, for front
- Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) what the total weight of any one vehicle can weigh to be driven. This is either your tow vehicle, or your trailer, alone. Not together.
- Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR) Probably not your issue, but you still need to know this number. Your truck and trailer all together make this weight.

And don't forget all the stuff you take camping with you adds up really fast. You may not notice it, because lots of little things seems easy to load up, but it adds up, even if you aren't doing the math. Especially if you aren't doing the math.

You can be less than GVWR, and be over on RAWR. A pickup can be pulling a trailer, and be under the truck's GVWR, and be over on GCWR (this is very likely not your problem).

Weight transfer is a whole other kettle of fish. When I hook up my 6K pound trailer, and use the WD hitch, my truck axle weights are 4820 front, and 4800 rear, well under their rating, and well under the truck GVWR. The trailer is about 5500 pounds more or less depending on water, sewage tanks, propane, junk, etc.

I know I'm under in all weight rating respects of the entire vehicle, and I know my Gross Combination Weight Rating (GCWR), and I'm well under it.

And towing is a breeze. Even in a breeze.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2016, 09:47 PM   #44

Meh... I am not sure I buy into the "bigger truck needed" theory and I drive a 2500. Sure that would be ideal, but if it's not realistic then look at what you have. Tons of guys reporting terrific results pulling big trailers with the new F150. It seems to be a stout little truck. How is the trailer loaded? Try changing the hitch setup a bit. Trailer tires are at correct PSI? One thing that I always found is the garbage OEM P rated tires are like water balloons when you load them up. Just as many people would argue that with me as agree, but that's my experience. It's always the first thing I ditch. Also a set of airbags would be beneficial not to increase payload but to stiffen the suspension a bit. It's a huge help.

As always, start with the easieat cheapest thing first. That's checking for proper load distribution and hitch adjustment.

Wind will always move you. More pronounced in lighter trucks, but even in my HD I can feel it.

Just my .02.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 09:14 AM   #45

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
Meh... I am not sure I buy into the "bigger truck needed" theory and I drive a 2500. Sure that would be ideal, but if it's not realistic then look at what you have. Tons of guys reporting terrific results pulling big trailers with the new F150. It seems to be a stout little truck. How is the trailer loaded? Try changing the hitch setup a bit. Trailer tires are at correct PSI? One thing that I always found is the garbage OEM P rated tires are like water balloons when you load them up. Just as many people would argue that with me as agree, but that's my experience. It's always the first thing I ditch. Also a set of airbags would be beneficial not to increase payload but to stiffen the suspension a bit. It's a huge help.

As always, start with the easieat cheapest thing first. That's checking for proper load distribution and hitch adjustment.

Wind will always move you. More pronounced in lighter trucks, but even in my HD I can feel it.

Just my .02.
I wonder how many of the "Tons of Guys" reporting terrific results have had the experience of towing with a larger truck so they know the difference? I wonder how many who have towed with a heavier truck have actually down-sized because their tow vehicle was too big for their unit?

Often wonder what "tows just fine/good" really means? Does it mean is tows almost fine, barely adequate or sort of good? Since we have no idea of their experience or what they are referencing their criteria to we have no idea of what their performance is really like.

When a person says I have always done this and never had an issue I start to think that person should be buying lottery tickets.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:04 PM   #46

If you can handle the expense, look into Hensley hitch or ProPride Hitch.
They aren't cheap, but sometimes a used one comes up on ebay or craigslist or there might be a factory reconditioned one available.

Now only do one thing per day
prairie mic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 10:35 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I wonder how many of the "Tons of Guys" reporting terrific results have had the experience of towing with a larger truck so they know the difference? I wonder how many who have towed with a heavier truck have actually down-sized because their tow vehicle was too big for their unit?

Often wonder what "tows just fine/good" really means? Does it mean is tows almost fine, barely adequate or sort of good? Since we have no idea of their experience or what they are referencing their criteria to we have no idea of what their performance is really like.

When a person says I have always done this and never had an issue I start to think that person should be buying lottery tickets.
I don't disagree- I have now used both half tons and an HD and the HD is definitely more comfortable, but OP stated (if I understood correctly) a larger truck is not something that is part equation. Pretty simple to me. If it's not feasible and he's within or at least close to his ratings, let's work the problem rather than continue the rhetoric of "bigger truck" for everything.

I also don't disagree that the trailer is definitely banging on the door of 2500 territory, but the last time I said that on a forum I got my butt chewed to pieces over it. So lesson learned. I just try to help work the problem now.

Not directed at you specifically of course. It just seems that the ratings arms race never has an end. Maybe I am a bit desensatized after a few years on the forums to the one ton dually crowd. If someone says they are pulling something big with great reaults with a half ton, who am I to say they're wrong?
Old 07-17-2016, 06:21 AM   #48
CCH

Heartland RV Club
👍 X100

My way of thinking - and I've done 1/2 ton and 1 ton as well - HD will always be more fun, if you got one.

But when it's not in the picture, ya gotta do otherwise. Maybe not as easy or as pretty, but like a good, sharp handsaw vs. a high end chop saw - with care and attention, you can get every bit as fine a result.

End of the day, maybe paying closer attention to conditions and passing vehicles plus keeping your speed in line isn't such a bad idea.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 07-17-2016, 08:43 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post

Just my .02.
I generally don't buy into it either, BUT I will buy the most truck I can afford for towing. I use a truck daily for work and I like trucks. I believe HD trucks are much more suited to pulling rv's long distances. If I only had an f-150 I would use it and make it work. I think for a lot of people towing a TT or boat is there first experience with a truck so they try to buy the smallest truck they can get away with based on it feeling and driving like the SUV or Minivan they are used to. A lot of non truck people are also extremely concerned with fuel economy. I also think if your no used to towing you may not know how a truck and trailer is supposed to handle. I have a cousin who is new to towing and has a 2016 f-250 pulling a 28ft TT. He says the truck handles well but is still getting used to the wiggle.
I think folks may expect an f-150 and trailer to go down the road the same as if there was no trailer.

With that said I pull my 35ft TT and golf cart with my 3500 drw truck at 68-70mph mostly with one hand on the wheel even with trucks passing. It's very close to fifth wheel handling, because of the weight and length of the truck and six LRE tires on the ground.
2500HD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 09:22 AM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500HD View Post
I generally don't buy into it either, BUT I will buy the most truck I can afford for towing. I use a truck daily for work and I like trucks. I believe HD trucks are much more suited to pulling rv's long distances. If I only had an f-150 I would use it and make it work. I think for a lot of people towing a TT or boat is there first experience with a truck so they try to buy the smallest truck they can get away with based on it feeling and driving like the SUV or Minivan they are used to. A lot of non truck people are also extremely concerned with fuel economy. I also think if your no used to towing you may not know how a truck and trailer is supposed to handle. I have a cousin who is new to towing and has a 2016 f-250 pulling a 28ft TT. He says the truck handles well but is still getting used to the wiggle.
I think folks may expect an f-150 and trailer to go down the road the same as if there was no trailer.

With that said I pull my 35ft TT and golf cart with my 3500 drw truck at 68-70mph mostly with one hand on the wheel even with trucks passing. It's very close to fifth wheel handling, because of the weight and length of the truck and six LRE tires on the ground.
This sums it up very well

Back to the original topic. If you have the EQ hitch, make sure that it's adjusted properly. It will take a few tries to dial it in but even minor adjustments can potentially make a huge difference. I still stand by my statement regarding the tires and air bags. The half tons are sold as capable work horses but they come from factory with plush suspension and soft tires. It's like putting slippers on a mule. Pointless. And make sure it's loaded properly. Lighter trucks can be sensative to this especially.

You will always feel the push/ pull of semis and wind will always have it's way with you pulling that big sail with a light half ton. All you can do is try to mitigate it as best you can.

I am not going to profess to be an all knowing expert, but I have been down this road with my half tons a few times now and these were the things that helped immensely until I finally broke down and lost my shirt and got an HD. YMMV.
Old 07-17-2016, 09:35 AM   #51

If 1/2 tons were so good at towing near their limits then we wouldn't be reading all the threads about sway issues.
Very rarely do we ever read about a guy with a 3/4-1 ton truck complaining about sway problems.
That to me says that it's harder to dial in a 1/2 ton truck and a larger trailer for a comfortable tow.
The guys that keep the weights lower for the trailer are the ones that don't complain.
I've been there done that with the 1/2 vs 3/4 ton tow thing. I towed a 31' 7300lb TT with both trucks. I had the 1/2 ton perfectly dialed in. Had SuperSprings and E rated tires on it. It was a Max Tow with 1857lbs for payload and had a tow rating of 11,100lbs. Yet it was just adequate for that TT. Way under on the tow rating so why didn't it tow as well as a 3/4 ton?
Because it weighs less for one thing. Has a thinner frame smaller brakes and softer suspension.
The 3/4 ton towed the TT as well or better and I just used an EAZ-Lift with the 3/4 ton. I used an EQ with 4 pt sway control on the F150.
JMHO here but 1/2 ton towers need to keep the weights around 6-6500lbs and length shorter than 28'.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 09:10 AM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
I hear what you are all saying. But there is a further consideration that makes me continue to tell users to "pump up" from something that is on the edge or slightly over. If financial considerations are the limiter they may have to think smaller or reassess their priorities to properly equip.

Yes we can add accessories that make the towing experience better. Much better in a lot of cases. Even though it handles better what happens when things go bad? Yup my trailer is now tamed so I can now keep up with traffic. Running on the edge is still there regardless of how it feels. Even though it feels better.

An example is winter driving with 4 wheel drive. Every year we have a rash of rear end collisions involving 4 wheel or all wheel drive. Why? IMO they handle much better on ice and snow. Accelerate much quicker. Feel much more solid. So they are driven faster. But when it comes time to stop they are only marginally better than any other vehicle out there because the braking is on 4 very similar tires.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:20 AM   #53

Your truck simply can't comfortably handle the trailer the way it's currently set up. And while I do think you need more truck, there are a few bandaids you can try:

LT tires for the truck, which are much stiffer than the P tires you probably have on there now.

Roadmaster suspension. It's kind of like adding a leaf spring and will stiffen up the rear suspension. I installed a set on my old F150 and it was a pretty easy job.

I don't think airbags will help you. Your truck is being pushed around, so you either need more weight (i.e., a bigger truck) or more stiffness IMO.
drewtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2016, 10:27 PM   #54

You can try putting more pressure on the bars. Make sure you have 6 washers in the hitch or move the L bracket up one hole. It made a difference on mine.
lcboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems