Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Sorry to have to get right to the point. You do not have enough truck. That is it.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2016, 03:10 PM   #30

Link to a way to determine tongue weight without buying a new scale. It may not be as accurate as a dedicated scale, but probably close enough. You may have what you need to do this in your garage...
Measuring trailer tongue weight with a bathroom scale
SailorSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:05 PM   #31

Here's a YouTube video of the bathroom scale idea.
https://youtu.be/nMoLA44lcgU
DieselDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 06:31 PM   #32

Not sure on the u-tube video. If the distance between the two pipes is 6 feet, 5+1, then the weight multiplier should be 6. The greater length between the load points, the lower actual weight on the scale. If you test with a known weight, you can insure you have confidence in your measurements.
Old 07-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #33

I went back and watched the video again. The distance between the pipes is 5 feet.
DieselDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 08:49 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by DieselDummy View Post
I went back and watched the video again. The distance between the pipes is 5 feet.
Good to know that he did it right.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:59 PM   #35

I would be worried you are undersized on your truck size. I had a very
similar issue with our TT and SUV. Regardless what the sales folks tell
you often your under in your truck size.

When we upgraded to our 3500 Ram our swaying issues disappeared, even
when a trucker passes us. I adjusted, fixed on the swaybar, WD, front weight even put the trailer on a diet. But in the end we were simply
under trucked in size.
Old 07-15-2016, 06:15 AM   #36

Truck size regardless. When you install the bars on the equalizer, how hard are they to install? When you put full weight on the truck, do the bars bend at all? It's a friction away hitch, if the L-brackets are not high enough, it won't put enough tension on the bars, and thus they won't have enough friction to control sway with. I'd consider moving the L-brackets up one notch and see how it acts then, maybe taking a washer out of the pivot head to compensate for level. With that hitch, it's okay to have a slight (less than 1 inch) sag on the rear of the truck and front of the trailer, what you really don't want is the rear of the truck or front of the trailer sitting higher than level.

I too have a heavy trailer with a 1/2 ton truck, getting the Equalizer balanced right can be trying, but works great once you find the right combination. It's still no substitute for too little truck for the trailer, but you shouldn't have that much sway issue either. The Equalizer is a good performing hitch once setup correctly.
MagnaPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:27 AM   #37

The truck is rated for 10100 pounds I don't carry a lot with me just what we use. Going to take it to scale. Weight of the trailer as it sits is 7163? Why do I not have enough truck ?
crack.40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 09:30 AM   #38

The only time I have a sway issue is in cross winds. This is it what I am trying to control tail of the trailer moving instead of it moving as one unit like it is suppose to.
Old 07-15-2016, 09:58 AM   #39

If cross winds are your only problem, then you simply need to slow down.
timetogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 10:49 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack.40 View Post
The only time I have a sway issue is in cross winds. This is it what I am trying to control tail of the trailer moving instead of it moving as one unit like it is suppose to.
Bingo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We have a winner. With that big a trailer and the light weight truck..........the wind against the trailer is a lot of weight pushing that light weight truck around, thing the tail wagging the dog. As others have said "you need a larger truck".

But go ahead and stay with the 150, you'll never have any fun going on a trip.
Happy Prospector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 12:22 PM   #41

Thanks to all for the ones that want to help the situation I have looking for the right set up. I realize a bigger truck is always the better way to go. Also realize I'm at the top end of my limits. Just looking for help adjusting what I have. Once again thanks I will be taking all your help in figuring this out and I will let you know how I make out.
Old 07-15-2016, 01:16 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by crack.40 View Post
The truck is rated for 10100 pounds I don't carry a lot with me just what we use. Going to take it to scale. Weight of the trailer as it sits is 7163? Why do I not have enough truck ?

It's not the tow rating, it's the payload rating of the 150 truck. Soft rear suspension and soft tired don't help either. Your truck could likely tow a 10k flat trailer or boat (although I wouldn't want to), but that's completely different than towing a box through the air that acts like a wind sail. If you are set on keeping your truck, get a pro pride hitch and your issue should be gone..it doesn't fight sway, it eliminates before it starts. Completely different than an equalizer hitch....if I had a travel trailer it would have a propride on it no question.
gtsum2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ems, problems