Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-22-2012, 05:04 PM   #1

Making decisions but need more info

We have a 2004 F150 with a 4.7V8 3.55 axle ratio and a tow package. Literature says we can tow 6300#. Thinking about purchasing a travel trailer around 5000-5500 GVWR. Is this a feasible situation? Would a flat front or a v- front trailer be a better choice?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-22-2012, 05:18 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The manufacturers tow rating are over inflated and based on a base model truck, ONE 150 # driver, no passengers, no cargo, no options or accessories....not even the weight of a hitch. Once you load up the truck, truthfully I would not expect to tow much over 4500# for a loaded and wet trailer....not dry weight.

Read the foot notes on the 6300# rating....you are not to exceed GVWR, GVWR or axle GVWR limits when towing.

ken

Old 04-22-2012, 06:14 PM   #3

I both agree and dissagree with TXiceman. You don't say what part of the country you are from. If you are in the flatlands it improves your ability to tow. If in the mountains it won't be pleasant. I would stay closer to the 5000# Gross vehicle weight, get a good WDH and brake controller. When we had our TT we could tow 6400# and our weight was about 5500# fully loaded trailer and 4 people in the truck. It would do it, but going uphill was not fast. I would also stay under 24' on the TT and that will get you more options. Some of the newer models can come in at under 4000# and have alot of room. But make sure you are set up correctly. The lower the weight the better experience you will have.

Good Luck
Arnold
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 06:31 PM   #4

Thanks for your replies. I am in Ohio and would be camping mainly in Ohio, Michigan , Kentucky and Indiana until we retire (not for 5 or 6 years). Before retirement, we plan to purchase a 3/4 ton to haul with. I am mainly looking to find a camper and will do trips less than 700 miles from home until we retire and have time to travel further. There would only be two of us and two Labradors. I was looking at Cruiser TTs with one slide around 19-21 feet in length. Dry weight around 3000-3500 and GVWR around 5500-6000. Looks like I need too either buy a bigger truck or a smaller camper.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I was looking at Cruiser TTs with one slide around 19-21 feet in length. Dry weight around 3000-3500 and GVWR around 5500-6000.
If there are any tt's with a dry weight in the 3000-3500 range, I don't think many are going to have cargo capacity of 2500 to 3000. My last tt (hybrid) had a dry weight of 3900 and a cargo of capacity 1100. My new tt (hybrid) is 4300 dry and a cargo capacity of a whopping 2275 lbs. I would say I have 500-600 max of stuff. So I'm looking at about 4800 to 4900 lbs being towed. My TW is rated at 7200, but I wouldn't want to go any larger for a shorter wheel bases SUV.

The weight distribution hitch sure helps....The new tt (2013 Aerolite ) is 25' long with a couch / kitchen slide.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdjay View Post
We have a 2004 F150 with a 4.7V8 3.55 axle ratio and a tow package. Literature says we can tow 6300#. Thinking about purchasing a travel trailer around 5000-5500 GVWR. Is this a feasible situation?
I had a 2003 SuperCrew Lariat with 3.55 gears and 4.6L 2V engine. I towed a cargo trailer that grossed about 5,000 pounds from Midland to Phoenix, and towed it back empty. There are no real "mountains" on that route, but several passes over ridges, and long grades pulling up out of dry river bottoms and over the next ridge. We made it okay, but the poor little Ford was straining up those grades. I was not at all satisfied with the performance, so when we got home I decided to trade it for something with more towing capability. My new pickup has a tow rating of 8,400 pounds, so I hope it will do a better job of towing that trailer.

And to go with the new tow vehicle, we bought a new Nomad Joey 196S TT, which has 5,600 pounds GVWR. No long trips yet, but just dragging it around within 30 miles of home it's going to do fine. It's perfect for two old folks and a couple of dogs.

In addition to the normal TT amenities of AC, microwave oven, furnace, hot and cold running water, etc., our requirements were
- less than 6,000 pounds GVWR,
- walk-around bed so Darling Wife doesn't have to crawl around on the bed to make it up,
- seperate shower/tub so we don't have to sit on the pottie to take a bath,
- a big closet (in addition to those tiny things in the bedroom),
- and a dinette that converts to a bed in case one or two grandkids decide to go with us sometimes.

Here's what we bought:

Quote:
Would a flat front or a v- front trailer be a better choice?
I don't think it matters as to your ability to tow the trailer, or the handling of the trailer, but the more aerodynamic front end will result in better MPG at highway speeds. You'll soon learn that your tow vehicle will get a lot better MPG at 60 MPH than at 70 or 75. My tow vehicle will easily pull the Joey at the local interstate speed limit of 75 MPH, but the tattle-tale gauges in the Lariat say it's getting only 8 MPG at that speed.

Here's my new combo. Click on the little picture to get a bigger picture:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012Joey196S.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	20347  
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 12:42 PM   #7

For a point of reference, I pull a 6500# TT with a 7500# (loaded) E350. The van handles it without problem, but that 5.4L is comfortably, Maxed Out. I imagine the 4.6L would have trouble with less weight.
Old 04-24-2012, 01:05 PM   #8

Thank you for all the advise. I need to rethink things as right now I can't afford the TT and a TV :-)