Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-24-2016, 02:52 PM   #1

Marvelous Mystery Oil are to diesel fuel

Good idea or bad idea. A friend is thinking of doing this on his 2003 Ford Diesel with the trouble prone engine.

Anyone doing this?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2016, 03:38 PM   #2

Smile Marvel Mystery Oil

Marvel Mystery Oil is a very old product that is still being made today. Basically it is very lightweight oil with a chemical compound added. That chemical compound causes rubber to swell. Rubber "O-Ring" seals in valve guides was the the original intended target. Additional targets are other rubber seals and rubber gaskets. When added to gas or diesel fuel it will clean carburetor jets and now, fuel injectors.

If your engine sends out a puff (or a cloud) of smoke when pulling away from a stop light or when starting the motor after sitting for awhile, Marvel Mystery Oil added to the crankcase oil will probably help lessen the problem. It is not an overnight fix, give it a week. Note that some valve guides have nylon or composite O-rings which Marvel Mystery Oil doesn't affect.

Best wishes, Tombones49
tombones49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 07:24 PM   #3

"trouble-prone engine'? is he having problems are thinking he will head them off?
Can't see where this would help with the 6.0L problems I am aware of.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 10:54 PM   #4

Would it keep the injectors cleaner? That would help the engine...correct?
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2016, 11:07 PM   #5

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Injectors would normally be clean. Usually if you need a "mystery oil" to keep the engine running well or well enough, it would be better to find and fix the main problem instead of pouring band aids into the fuel tank or oil.
Old 04-25-2016, 03:37 AM   #6

The older diesels used fuel with a higher sulfur content. That fuel is not available at most fueling stations today. The sulfur added lubricity. The newer diesels have emission systems that require ultra low sulfur fuel and will not tolerate additives that weren't designed for them.
lynnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 11:09 AM   #7

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I had a 03 Cummins and I added lots a stuff, MMO also, to the fuel tank with no issues. I now have a 14 and will never put anything but the best #2 diesel I can find in it. With all the new smog devices the days of fuel additives are over, for me.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:25 PM   #8

Ditto what highway said... my 05 cummins ate a steady diet of fuel additives due to being designed pre-ulsd. My 14 just eats clean #2, except in winter she will get some anti-gel.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

In my days, I have used it to free sized engines. Mainly when the rings have stuck to the cylinders in marine engines. That it does . Anything else I would question. Dave-R
Old 04-29-2016, 05:41 PM   #10
Ste

Search online for stiction additive(it is real!) Some International engines with HEUI injectors needed this to run properly. Helps with lubricity which is a real concern as the lubricity rating that is "acceptable" for most fuel refineries is lower than the minimum requirement that engine manufacturers want.
Ste is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, fuel