Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #1

Max comfortable weight for 2500HD 6.0 gas

Hi guys and gals. I'm brand new here so I might make a few errors as posting in the wrong place, etc. My primary purpose right now is picking your brains. I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD SRW 6.0 gas (which I'm keeping) and looking to purchase a fiver. More than not say 3500 deisel.

The truck is rated for 12,000 lbs. towing capacity but I'm certain at that weight it wouldn't be very comfortable on grades. I'm looking for information as to what would a comfortable weight fiver for my truck.

I'm single so I don't be loading it heavily and don't need a 38 footer. Probably 28-30.

Feel free to either post or private message me.

Thanks for listening everone.

Tom
Tom Brower is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2017, 01:05 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
RV Trip Wizard
In most situations the issue is not towing capacity, but is GVWR. Check the sticker on your truck. Total weight on each axle and add tongue weight of the loaded fiver.

Too much weight is illegal, and will drastically affect how the rig drives and rides.
BuzzWolfAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:06 PM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Tom, I can't answer your question, however you might want to check the figurers for the 2017 models, as the Fed's have changed the rules for the manufacturers. Overnight the units lost between 1200-2000# of capacity from 2016 to 2017 for the exact same model with identical specs. I would suspect you could also apply that to 2015 models.

Would be worth a little to be safe.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:15 PM   #4

Open drivers door....see Yellow sticker on jamb
What is the 'cargo carrying capacity' listed?

That is the payload truck is rated for....all passengers, stuff inside truck (pockets/console/on seats/under seats/backpacks/bags etc), stuff in truck bed (hitch---Anderson 70# or traditional hitch 200#) PLUS wet pin weight of 5th wheel
(20%-25% of trailers weight)

Payload could be 3600#

Also keep in mind Trucks RAWR/Rear tire max load ratings and truck/trailer GCVWR

12,000# trailer GVWR if loaded to full weight will be 'doable'
Better if it starts at 10K dry weight and you load light

Just stay under RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings and GCVWR

Nothing illegal about exceeding ratings especially GVWR
You are NOT commercial, you will NOT be able to reach 26,000# and axle ratings are de-rated due to tire limitations
Just get truck weighed 'camp ready' so you have real weight numbers to use
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:19 PM   #5

Hi Tom, welcome aboard!

First, your towing capacity has (virtually) nothing to do with how well the pickup and 5er will handle grades. Of course, if they made a 3,000 lb 5er, you would zip up a 7% grade, weight of 5er being somewhat of a function of its length. I would first concentrate on determining your towing capacity based on actual calculations, not what the salesman or sales brochure touts. You will learn all about GVWR, GCWR, etc. If you search "towing capacity" in this or the Travel Trailer / Fifth Wheel forums, you will find a wealth of information. Then you can start to make qualitative judgments on how much HP or torque you need for a specific weight 5er.

A couple years back, we towed a 7k lb TT behind a 3500 conversion van powered by the 6 liter GMC. Made it over all grades up to 9,000 ft, but that engine was screaming at times. Decided not tackle the Vail or Eisenhower tunnel passes. At 11,000 ft, the altitude really cuts your power.

Trailer Towing Guides | Trailer Life Magazine
Towing Capacity Chart | HowStuffWorks

I will venture to say that you will not be towing a 12,000 lb 5er with your rig, even if you stay on the flat. But hey, I was wrong once a few years ago.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 01:29 PM   #6
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
My GMC 2017 2500hd pulls our 6500 lb travel trailer easily. Steep grades you can tell its back there. If I were to double that I don't think I would want to pull it.
Spdracr39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
My GMC 2017 2500hd pulls our 6500 lb travel trailer easily. Steep grades you can tell its back there. If I were to double that I don't think I would want to pull it.

Thanks for understanding my question. I was thinking 7000-8000 max. I had a 3500HD DRW and with an inch of snow would get out of my driveway without going to 4WD. My truck isn't a single purpose vehicle. Like I said, I'm single and don't need a 36-38 ft. rig. Thinking a nice 28-30. Thanks for your reply.

Tom
Old 03-07-2017, 03:15 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Biscuit View Post
Open drivers door....see Yellow sticker on jamb
What is the 'cargo carrying capacity' listed?

That is the payload truck is rated for....all passengers, stuff inside truck (pockets/console/on seats/under seats/backpacks/bags etc), stuff in truck bed (hitch---Anderson 70# or traditional hitch 200#) PLUS wet pin weight of 5th wheel
(20%-25% of trailers weight)

Payload could be 3600#

Also keep in mind Trucks RAWR/Rear tire max load ratings and truck/trailer GCVWR

12,000# trailer GVWR if loaded to full weight will be 'doable'
Better if it starts at 10K dry weight and you load light

Just stay under RAWR/Rear Tire Max Load Ratings and GCVWR

Nothing illegal about exceeding ratings especially GVWR
You are NOT commercial, you will NOT be able to reach 26,000# and axle ratings are de-rated due to tire limitations
Just get truck weighed 'camp ready' so you have real weight numbers to use
Duh, how do you open the door?
Old 03-07-2017, 10:06 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brower View Post
Duh, how do you open the door?
I apologize that my post was TOO technical for you to grasp
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:49 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

I gave you a detailed reply in your "checking in" thread.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f45/checking-in-329592.html
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 12:31 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Brower View Post
Hi guys and gals. I'm brand new here so I might make a few errors as posting in the wrong place, etc. My primary purpose right now is picking your brains. I have a 2015 Silverado 2500HD SRW 6.0 gas (which I'm keeping) and looking to purchase a fiver. More than not say 3500 deisel.

The truck is rated for 12,000 lbs. towing capacity but I'm certain at that weight it wouldn't be very comfortable on grades. I'm looking for information as to what would a comfortable weight fiver for my truck.

I'm single so I don't be loading it heavily and don't need a 38 footer. Probably 28-30.

Feel free to either post or private message me.

Thanks for listening everone.

Tom
You have gotten a lot of "you should do this or that" in the thread. I will not tell you what to do, but rather what worked for me.

We towed a Cougar 31SAB behind a 2007 Chevy 2500 2WD, Ext Cab, long box with a 6 liter and 4.10 gears. I think the 4.10s are essential to towing with a gas engine.

The trailer weighed about 10,500# the way we had it loaded and the truck pulled it fine.

Now my definition of fine might be different than yours.

It pulled the trailer in OD on the flat at 60 mph. Pulling a 6% grade, the truck shifted down into 2nd gear and would pull the hill doing 45 mph @3600 rpm. I was fine with that as it met my expectations.

Pulling the hills we got around 7 mpg and 9 on the flat. Combined was 7.5 to 8 depending on how many hills be had to pull.

It was a good combination for us. The only reason I sold the truck was to get one with 4WD to get us into the back country as we had bought some property that was a ways out.

I do believe 11,000# to be the max that I would want to pull with a gas engine though.
Old 03-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #12

Outdoors RV Owners Club
I have an 07 2500 with the 6.0 and 4.11 gears 4x4 I currently tow an 05 Arctic Fox 22H which I have weighed at just under 6000 lbs in ready to camp mode - but no water. Using tow haul mode this combo has traveled from Portland Oregon to Glacier NP and back with relative ease. This included Fourth of July Canyon and Lookout Pass. It also travels over the Oregon Coast range with equal ease. By that I mean I can maintain 55 MPH in 4th gear at 3500 RPM on the hills. Most of the flats I can do 60-65 and jog between 5th and 6th. When new the truck got around 10 MPG when towing over our coast range with over 90K mi and 10yrs the MPG has dropped off to around 8. On the Glacier NP trip in 14 the combo averaged around 12 for the entire trip - towing there and back and running around the park.

I think that if you don't care about maintaining 55-60 on hills, you could tow more weight and the truck would do just fine.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:44 PM   #13

Assuming you stay within your weights I think a comfortable real world weight for that truck is around a 10,000# loaded 5th wheel. I'm currently at 11,000# with my 6.4 Hemi and it's okay but not great. If you're starting from scratch and can choose a unit and don't need a monster, staying under 10K would be ideal. The truck could likely carry and haul more but the ease it does it with will start falling of drastically as you get north of 10,000#.
mtofell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 12:56 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by spdracr39 View Post
I was thinking about 7-8K single slide fiver but I'm still going to crunch the numbers. Mostly flat hauling except for for an occasional hill. No mountains and no long distance.

Thanks for the info!

Tags
gas, weight