Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-23-2012, 04:41 PM   #1

Maximum tire load

I am confused by something and hope someone can enlighten me. I have Goodrich Rugged Trail tires on my Ram 3500. According to the tire sidewall the maximum load for a tire on a dually is 2919 lbs at 80 psi but for a single tire load it is 3195 at 80 psi. I don't have a clue as to why the maximum load capacity would be lower for dual rear axle than a single.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-23-2012, 05:04 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's not just Goodrich, it is all makes of tires are that way.

Old 12-23-2012, 05:11 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Because the adjacent tires of a dually can't get rid of the heat buildup as efficiently as a single tire. The adjacent sidewalls of a dually radiate their heat onto each other and are relatively shielded from the passing airflow.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 06:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty is right on. The heat build up in the DRW due to radiation from the adjacent wheel.

Ken
Old 12-23-2012, 07:11 PM   #5
CD

This is not official but a couple thoughts. First, when 1 dual goes flat the other is caring all the load. The other thought is on uneven road (such as with ruts) 1 tire can carry most if not all the load of both tires.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2012, 07:54 PM   #6

Goodyear says this;

Load Carrying Capacity Single Versus Dual Tire Capacity Difference

A tire mounted as a single can carry a greater maximum load than the same tire mounted as a dual. This is because tires in a dual set will carry unequal loads due to differences in the crown of the road. Tire to tire inflation pressure and tire diameter differences also factor into the difference in load capacity."

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

And this from the tire docter.
"The main reason that dual tire load limits are set at a lower rating than single tires is that tires paired up as duals do not always contact the road surface equally. Examples of this would be ruts in the road surface, climbing over curbs, mismatches in inflation pressure and/or remaining tread depth, to name a few.

This unequal road surface contact results in one of the dual tires ending up carrying more than its fair share of the load. In order to provide a “safety cushion” for when this happens, the maximum weight allowed is set lower than for a single application.

Best regards, Tire Doctor
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl View Post
I am confused by something and hope someone can enlighten me. I have Goodrich Rugged Trail tires on my Ram 3500. According to the tire sidewall the maximum load for a tire on a dually is 2919 lbs at 80 psi but for a single tire load it is 3195 at 80 psi. I don't have a clue as to why the maximum load capacity would be lower for dual rear axle than a single.
To answer your question as to the AXLE capacity......the max load capacity for a DRW rear AXLE is not lower that a SRW. For the new Rams, the SRW GRAWR is 6100# and for the DRW version it is 12,300#. The max load for the DRW tire may be lower than the max on a SRW, but you have 4 and not two.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogerl View Post
Okay, now I'm really confused by the answers, and enquiring minds (mine) need to know: The OP states the tire load for a dually is lower and I understand the Goodyear response. But, in his case at 2919lbs/80psi, there are a total of four tires on the rear axle that can carry up to 11676lbs, so a dually will always be able to carry more than the two tires on a SRW axle (understanding of course the rear axle weight should not be exceeded.) Am I just being dense here.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:52 AM   #9
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
Okay, now I'm really confused by the answers, and enquiring minds (mine) need to know: The OP states the tire load for a dually is lower and I understand the Goodyear response. But, in his case at 2919lbs/80psi, there are a total of four tires on the rear axle that can carry up to 11676lbs, so a dually will always be able to carry more than the two tires on a SRW axle (understanding of course the rear axle weight should not be exceeded.) Am I just being dense here.
You are correct that the axle cap is more with duals. Roger was stating the cap for a single tire which is correct for the reasons stated above in other posts.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #10

Ralphie, you have the correct understanding and are 100% correct.
Old 12-24-2012, 02:53 PM   #11

Thanks, I thought I was losing my mind!
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #12

Here is a quote from the current Michelin truck tire maintenance manual.

“Due to the effects of load distribution and road inclination, the four tires in dual may not equally share the axle load. Therefore, to protect the tire carrying the largest share of the load, the capacity for duals is not twice the capacity for single formation. But is usually between 5 & 15% less depending on the tire size. Insure the pressure between dual tires and/or tires on the same axle does not differ by more than 5 psi. Also insure tires run in dual are within ¼” diameter to help achieve equal loading.”

FastEagle
FastEagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
I guess this is a little off-topic, but:

What's the formula for tire load limits on a tandem axle setup?
Old 02-06-2013, 08:16 PM   #14

Tandam axle setup as in a trailers tandem axles ?? Tire load limits will be the tires load capacity.
Example is a LT235/85-16 E has 3042 lbs of capacity. Four of them = 12168 lbs.

JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote