Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-14-2016, 05:19 PM   #1

Question Maxxis tires and rim width - To upgrade or not

I need new tires on my trailer. I always try to upgrade when buying something. My stock tires are 8 ply 205/75R15 and I'd like to upgrade to 10 ply 225/75R15 I'll be getting the Maxxis M8008's. The Maxxis web site says I need 6" wide wheels with an 80 psi capacity. Mine are 5.5" with a max air of 75 psi. With my low trailer weight, I'm comfortable running at only 75psi. The rim width has me a little worried. I have a Tekonsha P3 Brake Control, so I have some flexibility to adjust for the bigger tires.

This is our first trailer so I'd rather not put a bunch of money into it. My wife and CFO really enjoys having our own trailer. We used to borrow my dads Motorhome. Once the RV'in bug hits her full force, I hope to buy a new one in a year or two.
But I need tires, so....

Would I be safe upgrading to the larger size?
Should I just stick with the stock size?

The weight ratings are faded out on my trailer. So, I can't get actual numbers. Where is a good place to find the ratings for my trailer? 2004 Nash 25s

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #2

I'd contact Nash. I have upgraded to 225 75R 15 E tires on a couple trailers, but I had 6" wide rims.

Old 10-14-2016, 08:51 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

I have upgraded from ST205/75R15C to Maxxis ST225/75R15D or E tires on three of my trailers. All three required new 6"wide wheels. I ordered the wheels from https://www.southwestwheel.com/p-4937-jg15x65gs.aspx, the tires from my local Discount Tire store,and had Discount Tire mount and balance them.

The new tires and wheels barely fit in the wheelwell of the 5er. On hard bumps, the tires will rub against the top of the wheelwell with no apparent damage. No problems of any kind on the cargo trailer and utility flatbed trailer.

I have had zero trailer tire problems on any of those three trailers after I upgraded to the Maxxis tires on 6" wide wheels. And the 5er upgrade was over 10 years ago.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #4

Outdoors RV Owners Club
If you're gonna keep it for about a year, and the old tires did just fine, why upgrade? If the old tires did fine, why spend more? What is it you believe you must "upgrade" for? Failure resistance? Do you have trailer TPMS?
Old 10-15-2016, 01:56 AM   #5

I don't really want to change wheels. I don't think the extra cost of the increased tire size would be that much. If I need to buy tires, upgrading to a larger tire seemed like a good way to ease weight burden of the tires. I really don't need larger tires.
Old 10-15-2016, 08:15 AM   #6
IC2

If you don't have a need for a fancy aluminum wheel, then steel spoke versions, black, white or silver are relatively inexpensive. You can then purchase the tires you feel you need. Be aware that there is a backset or inset figure for those trailer wheels so a conventional passenger car or pickup wheel probably wont work as yours will probably be zero.

I have to assume you have read the posts cautioning folks about many if not most Chinese made tires so wont get into that.
Old 10-15-2016, 11:13 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1361 View Post
I don't really want to change wheels. I don't think the extra cost of the increased tire size would be that much. If I need to buy tires, upgrading to a larger tire seemed like a good way to ease weight burden of the tires. I really don't need larger tires.
You need higher weight capacity of the trailer tires. The only way to increase weight capacity is either higher load rating (load range) or bigger tire size, or both. Assuming your stock size is ST205/75R15C, then Maxxis makes a size ST205/75R15D which will mount on 5" and 5.5" wide wheels, and increased weight capacity from 1820 to 2150. That's an 18% improvement in weight capacity, which is almost enough to be bulletproof. But I prefer 20% and preferably 25% or more increase in weight capacity over stock-size trailer tires.

To get a good jump in load capacity you really need to go to ST225/75R15, which are available in load range C, D, and E. But the tire specs say that the ST225/75R15 size tires require a minimum of 6" wide wheels. If your wheels are not at least 6" wide, then you don't want to mount 225/75R15 tires on them. So you need new trailer wheels at least 6" wide.

Maxxis ST225/75R15E tires have weight capacity of 2,830, which is a 56% improvement over stock. Perhaps that's overkill, but I'd rather have 56% than less than 20% improvement in weight capacity. I have those Load Range E tires (mounted on 6" wide wheels) on my cargo and utility trailers. After thousands of miles, I've had no trailer tire issues with those tires. Before Maxxis came out with size ST225/75R15E, I upgraded the tires and wheels on my 5er to ST225/75R15D. Those tires are now about 10 years old and still going strong.

You cannot "have your cake and eat it too". If you opt for the size ST225/75R15E to replace stock ST205/R15C, then you must upgrade wheels to meet the specs for the bigger tires. If you don't want to upgrade wheel size, then your best available tire size is the ST205/75R15D.

ST Radial M8008 | Maxxis Tires USA
Old 10-15-2016, 02:59 PM   #8

First,,, after 3500+ miles, I love our Maxxis tires !!!! I tend to tow a little faster than some (although safely) because our time is limited. Thats why I instantly replaced the china bombs on our 2016 5vr...
Now,,, as said, if you don't want to spend for new wheels, (or used ones ) then just go up from C range to D range and have some peace of mind. Our 5vr came with D's, it now has E's... Overkill? maybe, but as said, better too much than not enough. Even the customer service at Maxxis is amazing as in my case I asked what the speed rating was of their M8008 tires... I never expected a reply, but 10 minutes later I had an email explaining it all.... Amazing !!!!
"So Far",,, when these wear (or age) out, I'll be buying Maxxis again... Peace Of Mind is priceless at my age...... Good luck....
Monkey
Oh ya, ours are 225/75R15E Just go up one rating from C to D and feel fine. These are good tires !!!
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 04:52 PM   #9

I will be the odd one on this question. Do you NEED more capacity or just feel more is better? How much margin do you have now? Running higher psi tires will result in a stiffer riding trailer with more feedback to the tow vehicle and increased risk of damage to the trailer and contents. But as a plus that heavier capacity tire will flex less with a specific weight so your trailer will sway less. We tend to forget that tires are a suspension component so tire changes affect suspension performance.

You really need to know actual loaded weight vs. stock tire capacity. A larger size tire (if it will fit) but at the same load range in some cases provides extra weight capacity with minimal impact on suspension performance.
Old 10-15-2016, 07:47 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
I will be the odd one on this question. Do you NEED more capacity or just feel more is better? How much margin do you have now? Running higher psi tires will result in a stiffer riding trailer with more feedback to the tow vehicle and increased risk of damage to the trailer and contents. But as a plus that heavier capacity tire will flex less with a specific weight so your trailer will sway less. We tend to forget that tires are a suspension component so tire changes affect suspension performance.

You really need to know actual loaded weight vs. stock tire capacity. A larger size tire (if it will fit) but at the same load range in some cases provides extra weight capacity with minimal impact on suspension performance.
This is very correct... The fact is most all rv trailers are supplied with minimum everything,,, including tires... Most all "good" manufacturers of tires offer a "load inflation chart". I used that with our class A and Coopers... That being said a lot of people here think that ST tires need to be at maximum inflation. More is better than less in this case. But personally, I don't always run 80 PSI in my E rated Maxxis tires,,, I might only run 73-75 PSI as they are over rated for the load... Another fact,,, it Never hurts to have Too Much tire..... Keep your wheels and go one load range higher to D... (Maxxis) ....
My opinion... Monkey

monkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires, upgrade