Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-30-2015, 03:29 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
dcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 415
May be coming to the diesel family

Found what I think are 2 sweet deals on different trucks.
Our trailer is a 37ft bunk house 3 slides and weights 10k loaded.
Tow currently with a 02 yukon xl 2500 8.1
1st truck: 2002 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd 2wd quad cab LWB 170k, new lift pump and injector pump. 1 owner since 20k. Asking 13k
2nd truck: 2005 chevy 3500 4x4 DRW LWB, 170k new tires, 1 owner for 160k and 2nd owner for the last 10k until his wife had an accident. Asking 12k.

We are really leaning towards the dodge for the cummins and the MPGs where incredible considering we will be traveling about 10-15k the next 2yrs.

The dodge is a little cleaner but the chevy I figure wil be the better tow vehicle

Any opinions?
__________________

__________________
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-30-2015, 03:51 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
bamaboy473's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Gulf Coast, Alabama
Posts: 1,733
DRW is safer for constant heavy towing, whether you get one of those or not.
__________________

__________________
Rick and Sandy
2003 American Eagle, 52K miles
bamaboy473 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:01 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
tuffr2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Palm Coast Florida
Posts: 2,454
I have only been following trucks since 2010 into the 2011 model year.

Not sure which frame is being used. I would try look at the frame and pick the one with the better one.

I would lean toward the dually if the frames look about equal.

Good luck
__________________
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 06:45 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Florida
Posts: 581
I have a Dodge 2500, but the deal on the Chevy sounds better to me. Pre 2006 Dodge dashes tend to disintegrate and cave in. Motor and transmission are almost bullet proof. Driver seats wear out getting in and out and I just had mine fixed for $200. The Chevy has 4x4 and DRW and new tires for 1k less. New tires are $1200 easy, so that makes it $2200 cheaper and 3 years newer. Do you want to shift all the time? Really consider all your options, you know what is best for you. I have given my opinion for what it is worth.
__________________
Bob and sometimes - Nina - a Staffordshire Terrier/a SPOILED pit and her kitty Spaz
2006 Dodge SLT 2500 4x4 Cummins Quad Cab w/AT and 3.73
2007 Salem Sport LE 26FBSRV (TH) w/ my Victory Motorcycle in it or a EZ GO Shuttle cart.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 07:05 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
dcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 415
I appreciate the advice thus far.
I will look into the frame. Hopefully somewhere I can locate that info.
The dash on the dodge is cracked but it has the coolest cover I've seen. Wouldn't have known it was a cover unless he told me. It's like he laid a new dash on top of it perfectly.
The tires are a big deal, however I just realized my tires will fit off my yukon xl 2500.
Yes the chevy seats are worn but just the seat backs, the bottom is perfect somehow.
The shifting is in the back of my mind, however I can't get a history on if the Allison was ever serviced appropriately. The dodge just got a new South Bend clutch.
Oh when driving the chevy, it pulled HARD to the left when stopping and the ABS light came on and then went off. Suggestions on that?
__________________
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Found what I think are 2 sweet deals on different trucks.
Our trailer is a 37ft bunk house 3 slides and weights 10k loaded.
Tow currently with a 02 yukon xl 2500 8.1
1st truck: 2002 dodge 2500 5.9 cummins 6spd 2wd quad cab LWB 170k, new lift pump and injector pump. 1 owner since 20k. Asking 13k
2nd truck: 2005 chevy 3500 4x4 DRW LWB, 170k new tires, 1 owner for 160k and 2nd owner for the last 10k until his wife had an accident. Asking 12k.

We are really leaning towards the dodge for the cummins and the MPGs where incredible considering we will be traveling about 10-15k the next 2yrs.

The dodge is a little cleaner but the chevy I figure wil be the better tow vehicle

Any opinions?
Snap up that RAM! That truck is barely broken in. The 6sp is awesome in that year.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
I appreciate the advice thus far.
I will look into the frame. Hopefully somewhere I can locate that info.
The dash on the dodge is cracked but it has the coolest cover I've seen. Wouldn't have known it was a cover unless he told me. It's like he laid a new dash on top of it perfectly.
The tires are a big deal, however I just realized my tires will fit off my yukon xl 2500.
Yes the chevy seats are worn but just the seat backs, the bottom is perfect somehow.
The shifting is in the back of my mind, however I can't get a history on if the Allison was ever serviced appropriately. The dodge just got a new South Bend clutch.
Oh when driving the chevy, it pulled HARD to the left when stopping and the ABS light came on and then went off. Suggestions on that?
Sounds like someone knew what they were doing with the RAM. SouthBend is the best!
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 08:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Salisbury NC
Posts: 126
DRW is a must for long distance towing and Chevrolet makes a great truck. In my opinion this is a no brainer.
__________________
pitcrew18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 09:03 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
I agree about the DRW being a great platform but at 10K the Ram would be fine.

I think in 05 they had overheating issues with the D Max.

The RAM is a very dependable truck. look for the same Ram but DRW then you will have room to grow.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 10:14 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
dcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 415
Well I think I'm leaning more towards the dodge. Guy knows the history and he's done all the upgrades with quality components that I would do through my research. I just can't see paying a grand over retail and 4 grand over trade in value.
Also I was seeing 25mpg at 70mph. What could I potentially see towing the 10k TT?
__________________
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 11:33 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
bjlakatos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 885
My 06 ram 5.9L drw gets 10-12mpg 70mph towing 10k lb 35' trailer, even through mountains. Ram is my vote. Look up the buyers guide on turbo diesel register
__________________
Brian
2016 RAM 3500 6.7L DRW
2018 Chaparral 360IBL, Andersen Ultimate II hitch
bjlakatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2015, 08:08 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 1,346
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarver View Post
Well I think I'm leaning more towards the dodge. Guy knows the history and he's done all the upgrades with quality components that I would do through my research. I just can't see paying a grand over retail and 4 grand over trade in value.
Also I was seeing 25mpg at 70mph. What could I potentially see towing the 10k TT?
With my 98 RAM 2500 4X4 auto I towed a combined load of 20,500# and had a "hand calc" average of 10.5. That was West Coast towing. Low of 7.5 up to 13. You would do a bit better with thew 2wd and 6sp. The older RAM's are really going up in value.
__________________
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 12:08 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
dcarver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 415
Well finally did it! Bought a 2000 f250 7.3. Has a 149k, 98gal aux fuel tank with digital read out, and an A.R.E utility camper shell. Pristine condition so I jumped on it for 9k. I'll post pics tomorrow.
__________________
dcarver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:44 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 204
My dad has a 2000 7.3 with 215,000 miles on it. Only thing he has changed is the fuel pump last month! And, goi g down the road he runs used cooking oil from Sonic in it and has for years! Bulletproof...
__________________

__________________
tucsonrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
diesel



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hmmm... rethinking the diesel vs gas argument! cptgregger iRV2.com General Discussion 59 01-02-2015 09:52 AM
To diesel or not to diesel? FixerCQI Canada Region 29 11-23-2014 12:59 PM
Biodiesel/biomass diesel blends hpykmpr47 Monaco Owner's Forum 9 11-02-2014 09:44 AM
Cummins Releases 25th Anniversary Turbo Diesel Package DriVer RV Industry Press 1 03-26-2014 11:39 PM
How to Drive a Diesel MH for Dummies? reubenray Class A Motorhome Discussions 6 03-25-2014 09:34 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:36 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.