RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2019, 07:17 PM   #1

Mercedes GL Class 350 Diesel

Put a down payment on a Travel Lite F-23TH (3,100lbs dry, 7,630GVRW). We'll only be hauling bicycles and ourselves.

Not interested in a truck. Checking out the Pathfinder, 4Runner and just "discovered" the Mercedes Benz GL-Class 350 Diesel.

Anyone else towing with one of these MB SUVs?

Thanks!

radpagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-28-2019, 09:48 PM   #2

Mercedes GL Class 350 Diesel

No, but realize there are several GL SUVs. The GLC is the smallest and not meant for towing. The new GLE is their midsize and is/was the old M class, which is a similar in a way to the Jeep Grand Cherokee when MB owned Chrysler. Similarly, the new GLS is their large-ish SUV and was the previous generation GL class, which in the old MB-Chrysler hookup was very similar (but not a twin) to the Dodge Durango. Obviously, the MB variants were much more upscale and the divergance grew when MB and Chrysler split. The current MB GLS and V8 Durango should be more than up to the task for that lightweight TT. Even the MB GLE, BWM X5, and Jeep GC will tow that small TT, but their wheelbases are on the short side and may not be an enjoyable tow. Just be careful of rear axle GAWR. I would be careful with the Pathfinder and Highlander type vehicles...only if very lightly loaded.

All of the previous mentioned vehicles are Crossover SUVs, or CUV. Unibody and not body on frame. OK for light duty only. The 4Runner on the other hand is a true body on frame SUV with true 5,000-lb towing capacity. Itís upscale twin is the Lexus GX460 with the V8; but it is heavy with all the luxury add ons and its payload capacity is no more than 4Runner. With any SUV/CUV, you have to watch payload capacity and that dang rear axle. If you are in that rarified air of MB, BMW, Lexus, you might want to look at full size Ford Expedition/Lincoln Navigator as well as Suburban/Yukon XL/Escalade for an even better TT towing experience. The domestics have been doing this for decades and know how to do towing right. Yes they are big, but sooooo satisfying.

Old 11-28-2019, 10:35 PM   #3

My wife has a 2015 ML400, which is one size smaller than the GL, and has a 7200 lbs. tow rating. The GL has has a bit higher tow capacity than the ML and a longer wheel base. I can tell you the ML400 is a superior (and much more stable) tow vehicle than my wife's previous Toyota Sequoia, which is itself a superior tow vehicle than either the Pathfinder or the 4Runner (and I have experience towing with both of these Toyotas and the Pathfinder). I don't have any seat time in the GL, but I doubt based on my experience in the ML that it is even a close call between a diesel GL and either the Pathfinder or the 4Runner. I'd choose the the Benz for towing all day every day over a 4Runner or Pathfinder.

Note: I am assuming you are referring to the older full-size "GL" 3-row SUV and not one of the new compact SUVs under the newish Benz naming convention.

https://www.edmunds.com/mercedes-ben...732532/review/
jjackrash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 01:02 AM   #4

I have a 14 bluetec. Think max towing is 7500 lbs. Don't know abut that, but my 3000 lb trailer is no problem.
Old 11-29-2019, 08:01 AM   #5

We had a 2011 GL350 and towed an enclosed trailer with motorcycles in it. Probably about half the weight you want to tow and it did it easily. It was a great car.
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 03:15 PM   #6

We drove an '08 and a '12 GL-350. Nice vehicles. Then we drove an '09 and a '12 Tuoareg. Winner, winner chicken dinner! Going with the '12 Tuoareg Diesel.
7,700lb towing capacity and up to 28mpg on the highway (not towing of course).
radpagoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 04:47 PM   #7

Solid choice.

jjackrash is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel