Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 PM   #15

Don't ever let a chain tire shop touch the alignment. Not only do they not know how to set up your truck for towing but normally they will find all sorts of parts that they need to replace. Only let a reputable front end alignment shop work on it and that does not include the truck dealer also. Even if you have to drive some distance for a shop it will pay off in the end.
Also specify the date of tire manufacture that you will accept as some tires have been setting around for a long time. Had two Goodyears that tread seperated on and found that tho they were only purchased a year previously, that they were nearly five years old and were not covered by warranty because of age.
Dumped Goodyear and went to Michelin and haven't had any tire problem for nearly three years now.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2010, 11:31 PM   #16

Nor'easters Club
Set up a truck for towing? I"m getting a bit confused here. What does the alignment have to do with the towing?

I guess I'm in over my head. Maybe we'll just keep the old tires for now and deal with all of this when we have more time.

Just trying to be proactive..thought it was as simple as having new tires put on the truck since the old ones are 10 years old LOL.

Unfortunately, around us, just about all the tire shops are parts of chains or they take forever to get the tires, and most can't even get the tires we wanted..add to that they are way higher in price, and it makes it difficult to follow the suggestions on this thread.

I just googled front end alignment in my area and all but one was a chain, and the one that wasn't is a really dinky little shop that tried to get me to buy different tires because he seldom deals with Michelins. And right now, the truck tracks straight, so we prob don't even need an alignment. It's low mileage, we only use it to tow the trailer.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:37 PM   #17

Your truck is normally set to factory settings which is setting level and unloaded. When you hook on your RV you change the amount of weight on the front end and in turn the angle at which the wheel is pointed. (Both sideways and top to bottom. This is calculated in degrees of angle). This may or may not affect your alignment. It does affect my truck alignment ( Ford 350 crew cab dually).
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 AM   #18

Michelins for me. I also use the XPS Ribs. I tried several other brands, but was getting cracking around the sidewalls and bubbles around he rim area on the front axle after a short period of time. In some cases less than 500 miles. The bubbles were probably defects, but the cracking was caused by the weight, per the different tire places I visited. The diesel engine isn't light. I have had the Michelins for just under 50K now and there looks to be another 25 - 30 K left on them. I'll probably replace the truck before the tires, since I am looking at a new truck near the end of summer.

Don't go cheap on yoru tires. They are the only think you have in contact with the surface fo the road and cheap tires will cause you all kinds of problems down the road.
Wolf-Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:17 AM   #19

Nor'easters Club
I guess I'm just not into this enough to know what all means. Are you saying you get your alignment done with your RV hooked up? If not, then wouldn't you alighnment always be off either when towing, or when not? I guess I always figured the equalizer hitch takes care of the load. I thought that that is what distributed the weight to make it even on all four wheels. Wouldn't that make the truck have an even load?

In any case, the tires (Michelin) will be put on today, and we decided against the free alighnment they offered and will have it done at Chevy instead when the truck goes in for it's next service. But that's only because we don't want them to find problems where there aren't any, the day before we go camping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Your truck is normally set to factory settings which is setting level and unloaded. When you hook on your RV you change the amount of weight on the front end and in turn the angle at which the wheel is pointed. (Both sideways and top to bottom. This is calculated in degrees of angle). This may or may not affect your alignment. It does affect my truck alignment ( Ford 350 crew cab dually).
Old 05-03-2010, 06:51 AM   #20

I know you allready have your tires but Im running General Grabber AT2 on three vechiles my sons Liberty with a 3inch lift running 265s after seeing how good his was in the snow and 4 wheeling I installed them on my Wrangler that is only used to plow snow and as a toad for the moho. Now I just installed 35inch AT2s on my diesel pickup. Also im not sure but does the Michelins have the snowflake symbol stamped on the sidewall for sever snow rating??
1998 36ft Country Coach Magna #5499
Gillig chassis with a Detroit series 40
2002 F250 CC 7.3 PSD
mike brez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 09:24 PM   #21

I'm not going to get into this brand selection debate. Just going to inject a point. Warranty. If you're going to put a lot of money out on new tires you need to research the warranty aspect of the deal. One of the brands being debated has very popular tires but the company is really hard to deal with on warranty issues. On the other hand there is major American company that has a super warranty program. I use them because of it.

FastEagle
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 01:40 PM   #22

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike brez View Post
Also im not sure but does the Michelins have the snowflake symbol stamped on the sidewall for sever snow rating??
They do not have a little symbol, but they do have M/S for mud and snow. This truck doesn't leave the driveway if there is any snow, so while Michelin had another tire for heavy snow and off road, it wasn't one we were interested in.

They do have 900 more lbs towing capacity than out original tires.
Old 05-05-2010, 07:53 AM   #23

Michelin the only way to go.

Rich
Old 05-05-2010, 09:48 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVhauler View Post
Most or maybe every ford I see with a fifthwheel is low on the rear so I can understand what you are telling about the alignment.
chevman
Old 06-26-2010, 05:54 PM   #25

Late post but others maybe interested. I guess I'm in minority on this issue but I'm impressed with the General HTS on my van, the best tire in all-around conditions I have ever owned. Exceptions could possibility be the Revos. Check Tire Rack for feedback by owners. The HTS are rated one of the best.
I've had factory installed Michelin on a couple of vehicles and was very disappointed with those tires, great in the beginning but fell off drastically.
Old 06-26-2010, 07:27 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am a big fan of Michelins also after a bunch of trouble with Goodyears.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:06 PM   #27

I bought the Michelin LTX M/S2 for my 05 2500 Yukon XL. Got a good deal on them and was very happy with them driving home. Very quiet and an excellent ride.

Went camping this past weekend, and now I absolutely hate them. The side walls seem weak and when taking corners the truck oscillates while straightening out. I'd hate to have to do an emergency maneuver on the highway while towing with these tires. I've towed my rig with two different vehicles and 4 different sets of tires and never experienced the uneasy feeling I had towing this past weekend. They're going back. Now just have to decide which tires to get. Ugh!
Campin Fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #28

For what its worth at this point (since you already decided), I chose michelins. They have been a great performing tire for over 53,000 miles. I replaced the back set and will do the front when they hit the tread bars. They pulled me out of North Dakota during the winter with about two inches of snow on the ground. Got me out right ahead of a massive snow storm last Christmas.

I have great confidence in the Michellin tires. I paid 236 a tire for them, but it was worth the peace of mind!