Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-21-2010, 06:53 PM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Michelin or General Grabber Tires?

Looking for some help in our decision. I had typed this out earlier, so hopefully you won't see it twice. I hit submit, and got a message the server was down.

Our truck doesn't know how to get out of it's own way in the snow (and we don't need to use it, so no point in putting on chains or loading weight in the back), so it's seldom in the snow.

We are replacing our truck tires just because of age. We have narrowed it down (unless I get better suggestions) to:

Michelin LTX m/s for $204.99 + tax installed
General Grabber HTS for $158.99 + tax installed.

They both seem to get the same reviews on line. We might get a little bit better price, since we are replacing out car tires at the same time..but both prices would be a little lower..still $184 difference, since we aren't replacing the spare.

Anyone have some thoughts or suggestions for us? Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-21-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I'd put the Michelin's on it, you'll never regret spending the extra money.

Old 04-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #3

Doris: I agree with Richard...I just purchased six Michelin LTX, M/S on our Dually and they are great. I was also quoted a price of $204+ per tire but after talking with the owner, he called several of his sources and came back to me with a price of $170 per tire. Regards, Jim
10thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 08:41 PM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10thcav View Post
Doris: I agree with Richard...I just purchased six Michelin LTX, M/S on our Dually and they are great. I was also quoted a price of $204+ per tire but after talking with the owner, he called several of his sources and came back to me with a price of $170 per tire. Regards, Jim
Thanks guys for the opinions. I guess I'm wondering what makes them better? They both have the same scores online.

I can bargain some, if I buy our car tires at the same time. What type of a shop was this that you bargained with? I haven't found too many places around here, other than Samsclub, BJ's and Mavis that has them.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
Sears carries Michelin's, maybe you could catch a sale.
Old 04-22-2010, 07:55 AM   #6

Doris: I went to an independent tire dealer who handles several name brands. I like to give small business a chance when I can. Good luck. Regards, Jim
10thcav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:00 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Michelin all the way. No comparison between Michelin and General as far as I'm concerned other than they're both black, round and hold air. Tires are not the place where I cut corners to save money.

I have 6 each Michelin XPS Ribs on my truck (all steel commercial construction). If you price those, the LTX fabric and steel radials are a bargain!

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 10:44 AM   #8

Nor'easters Club
Certainly not trying to cut corners, but a few spots have them reviewing the same.

In any case,I've called all around, and Sears, with their great sale today is over $1000, by the time you add their $15 a tire extra charge and sales tax.

BJ's is $835 everything included, (lots of extra's without extra cost) so I made an appointment for tomorrow. I tried the independents and each one of them said the prices have gone up so much for them, there isn't a deal to be made. Some were as high as $1200 .

Mavis would prob beat BJ's by a little, but they don't have them in stock, and when we bought tires for the trailer there, they had our trailer for so long and still no tires, we ended up bringing them home and Gil put them on. Found out they had no room to jack it up in their parking lot and it couldn't fit in their bay.

This truck owes us nothing..so I guess a little extra for the tires isn't a big deal. Hey, with these tires, maybe it can actually make the incline in our driveway in the snow.

Thanks everyone.
Old 04-22-2010, 08:11 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
It's not going as I planned, but the tires are getting less expensive. Went to BJ's for the tires, paid the $835 and went into the actual store to pass the time. Came back to them telling us that their torque wrench only goes to 140 (I may have this mixed up, since I don't know what's normal), told Gil to take it somewhere to have the torque brought down to less than 150 or they couldn't put the tires on. We told them we'd like a refund, in case we weren't able to find someone to do it and didn't come back. They sent us back around to the front and into the store where they processed their refund. I told her it was for too much, they forgot there was a $70 coupon on the tires. The gal helping us said she was the auto manager, and to keep it, since we wasted our time.

We stopped at Mavis (assuming unlike the trailer, the truck will fit in their bay) and they said no problem they would match BJ's. Said we should have an alignment, they would only charge $60 instead of the usual $90. I said we would have to look at our truck papers to see when we had the last one, and he said, never mind I'll throw it in. Then added that on the 28th Michelin was starting their spring sale and if we wait, we'd get off another $70. So now the tires (using fuzzy math and counting the free alighnment and the money BJ's gave us for wasting out time) are only $151 total each with tax and we have an appointment for the 28th. I think we did pretty good LOL.
Old 04-24-2010, 04:42 PM   #10

Americas/Discount tire has both Michelin, BF Goodrich and a lot of other brands at competitive prices. Sears IMHO charges for everything and refuses to install anything other than what came from the factory citing some sort of nonsense law. If you like the Michelin check out the BF Goodrich tires. IF it is for your trailer they offer a Commercial TA that is about 2/3 the price of the Michelin XPS Rib.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2010, 11:24 PM   #11

Nor'easters Club
We replaced the trailer tires last year. It's the truck's turn now. We idd get what I think is a good price, and have an appointment for the 28th to get them put on.

Thanks.
Old 04-25-2010, 07:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I don't like the Michelins because I haven't been able to get more than 10-15k out of them. I have gone thru 4 sets of michelins in 4years and 1 set of BFG's in 3years. Now figure that out The only good thing is that I have only bought OEM takeoffs so the price is usually around $125 a tire or less. Alot of times that includes the rim as well. I've got one more set to use then I will switch to the Bridgstone Durivas that I have waiting to install.
Old 04-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Never had much luck with General tires on anything. The Michelins have never given me a problem. Shop NTB and Discount. Don't be afraid to offer them less than they are asking...they will bargain. I got NTB to back off $150.00 on a set of 6 Michelins for my truck.

I won't let the discount tire places do the front end alignment, oil changes or brakes. They just do not know how to align something larger than a car. They also can't be trusted to align a car either.

Ken
Old 04-25-2010, 09:29 PM   #14

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
I won't let the discount tire places do the front end alignment, oil changes or brakes. They just do not know how to align something larger than a car. They also can't be trusted to align a car either.

Ken
Really? It's just a 1/2 mile from our house and there are always a lot of pickup trucks in there. I figured it was done by machine. I figured as a tire store that would be what they do.

Where else woud you suggest? I called every tire place for prices in our area, and there wasn't a lot of lowering of the price going on. The smaller guys didn't have the tires and the bigger guys were was over my price.

We prob don't need an alignment..he tossed it in, but we don't have to get it.