Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-06-2013, 12:30 AM   #1

Missing standard option

Now that I decided on a truck I noticed that it didn't have the running boards which is standard on Lariats. When talking to the salesman(before i knew it was standard) I told him I wanted the mainly due to the kids getting in and out. He said he would take me over to the shop tomorrow to get them (at my expense). Now that I know they are standard I feel as if they should replace as I am paying for a full lariat... Right?? P.s. nothing has been signed yet.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-06-2013, 12:41 AM   #2

If you have paper work that says their standard equipment , stand your ground , don't pay for them or buy elsewhere.

Old 06-06-2013, 12:53 AM   #3

I forgot to mention it is used also... 2008. I will definitely not buy them from the dealer. My daughters boyfriend says he could fine me some cheap or free even that are like new from a shop or salvage yard. But I just feel like they should included since it is standard for the truck I am paying for.
Old 06-06-2013, 12:59 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Good luck with getting the running boards for free or getting out of the contract. You bought the rig as presented, you had a chance to inspect it and probably drive it too. The dealer did nothing wrong, you didn't do your due diligence and find out before purchasing it.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 01:11 AM   #5

A stated above I haven't signed anything yet and was doing my due diligence which is how I found out. I'm supposed to sign and pickup Friday. I was going to take a final look and go to the shop tomorrow. With that.. Now what do you think??
Old 06-06-2013, 01:37 AM   #6

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Well, if you haven't signed anything yet then you're free to walk away. They're also free to ask more for adding the running boards. They may give you a break on the cost to keep the deal, but then again they may not. I guess the ball is in your court now. If you don't take it then they'll just tack the cost of the running boards onto the price and someone else might buy it.
Old 06-06-2013, 01:51 AM   #7

We shall see.. I am going to head up there today to see what I can work some magic.. Probably more bozo the clown rather then David copperfield :/ but anyway, I will update but I have a feeling your right and they will not do anything because we have already knocked the price down, although I am buying the truck and leasing a new car too while I'm there. So they would lose 2 deals. Again, we shall see!
Old 06-06-2013, 01:54 AM   #8

Also they do have the running boards listed on their website as an option.. For what its worth .....
Old 06-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #9

I'd say the dealer did nothing wrong as it's a used truck. Maybe the previous owner pulled them before they traded it. Maybe the dealer pulled them and installed on another truck. I'd say it's as is where is. Now if it were a new truck and they were on the invoice, then you'd have a complaint. In all fairness, if you like the truck, get it and add boards later. OEM can be found on EBay, Craigslist all the time, or you might like something from the aftermarket better. I pulled the steps off my 2009 F350 Lariat and bought a used set of Luverne stainless steel cab and box running boards from a friend. He owns a body shop, and had them on several of his Super Dutys from 1999-2007. He had to rework the brackets on the box boards as they wouldn't clear the rear springs on the 2008+ trucks. Luverne quit making that style 10 years ago.

Trent
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 09:58 AM   #10

Sorry re-read your post. I'm guessing this dealer used a "template" to make their web-page. It looks like Ford dealer company sites do this. When the trim level is inserted, it possibly lists all the standard options associated with that package, wether it's on the subject vehicle or not. It's also possible that the person building the web-page has never seen the particular vehicle, or may not realize when items have been added or deleted from factory spec. I'd ask the dealer about it nicely, but I'm thinking it's still a used vehicle and sold as -is.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:25 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
we have already knocked the price down

They are in buisness to make money, even if you feel as the above quote states. As OP states, how can they prevent the previous owner from removing them. They represented the USED vehicle to you as they received it, and you agreed to some point. If your so concerned about such a small item, I would shop elsewhere as you would be happier.JMHO
david g.
justimagination is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #12

It's used. It's as is. That's about all that matters.
Old 06-07-2013, 01:50 AM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by justimagination View Post
As OP states, how can they prevent the previous owner from removing them.
My parents ran into that bigtime. Sold their 7,000 Sq ft house. Had stained glass windows in one of the dinning rooms. They had to take it back as the buyer couldn't make the payments. When the got the keys all the stained glass windows had been replaced with regular glass. Father went to an attorney and found out there was nothing they could do since they weren't the "owners" of the house, they just held the paper on it and the buy was free to do as he wanted while he owned it.
Old 06-07-2013, 10:53 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

On my 2012 Lariat SuperCrew, cab steps were NOT standard. Darling Wife has to have them, so I ordered them and the MSRP on my window sticker is $695.

I'll bet they were an option on your 2008 Lariat as well.

But some buyers hate cab steps, so if they are on the new truck the buyer really wants, they have the dealer remove them. My dealer has some sets lying around, and I'll bet he'll make you a good deal on a pair of them.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote