Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2009, 02:33 PM   #1

Montana Travel Trailer Towing Issues

Here is a description of what is happening with our 33.5 RLBS 2005 Montana TT.
We bought the unit used back in December. The trailer had been stored and then brought out for use and then put back. Didnt see any towing from the owner. From the day we bought the trailer we have had issues with it doing the dog tail wagging. Not only that but when I am being passed on the freeway the trailer feels like its being sucked over toward the passing vehicle.
I was told that a single sway control unit from Husky would do the trick..but being the type A person that I am..I put two of them on. Even with the load stabilizers and the the two Husky sway control units real tight...it will still take spells of the wagging its tail.
The trailer has new tires of the size that came on it and are aired up to max cold pressure. I tow this unit with a 97 Dodge Cummins long bed 2 wheel drive. The tires are the load range E and they are aired up to max cold pressure. We dont run with the tanks on the trailer full. We carry enough water for a potty break if needed. The trailer runs level with my truck...
We have owned 3 5th wheels and 2 TT and I have NEVER had a trailer tow as bad as this one.
If I cant get these issues worked out...its going up for sale.

Thank you
Rick

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
First thing to do is check your weight and make sure you have 10 to 15% of the totla trailer weight on the tongue. Having a bit more weigh on the tongue is a BIG help.

Next, I don't like friction type sway controls on anything over about 25' or so. You might want to look at your hitch set up and make sure the trailer is level and the W/D system is set up correctly. I personally prefer the Reese Dual Cam HP hitch which includeds sway control. Depending on the hitch you have, you may be able to add the Dual Cam to it.

Hope this helps some.

ken

Old 08-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #3

The trailer runs level....and I did double and triple check the WD and its on correct. Also I did check with Resse to see if my current WD bars could be used on the Dual Cam setup...and it wont. I would not only have to replace the bars but the hitch assembly as well.
What is the major different in the Reese over the Husky? If I am going to make a change...I need to know. Is there that much different in the two systems. The friction over the dual cam system?

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #4

That is a LOT of trailer for a bumper pull. Personally I would never consider a bumper pull over 25 feet ever again. Had a 30 footer once and it was terrible too. But that was before I had ever heard of the Hensley Arrow. It is expensive but will cure your problems.
I am guessing that the tongue weight is probably over the hitch rating and overloading your truck rear end too much. Get the correct hitch setup and you should be good to go.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:15 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
HERE is the web site to get the Dual Cam HP instructions. The HP uses a cam arrangement on the WD arms to keep the trailer tracking straight behind the truck. In the straight ahead position, the arms are in balance and apply an equal force on the trailer. It is a tried and proven design.

If you have not had problems before with other trailers, I would really look at your weight distribution for the trailer. It may be light on the tongue. If the water tank is forward of the trailer axle, try filling it half way and see if it tows any better. Or just load anything that is safe to load toward the front of the trailer...try about 200# or so to start with.

I can't find any literature on your trailer, but what does it show for a dry trailer weight and a dry tongue weight?

Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 08:41 AM   #6

Ken,
Did some looking around on the Keystone website and found some specs on this trailer. They didnt show the GVWR and dry weight but they did show the hitch weight of 940lbs. Whether that is fully loaded or empty...it didnt say. I believe that dry weight of the trailer is a little over 9k and the GVWR is 11.5k to 12k somewhere in there..
How does the Dual Cam system compare to the friction units? I know that the friction is like brake material and is clamped together and is suppose to help with the sway. Is the Dual Cam system that much better?
Also how easy is it to hook up in an rv park where the truck and trailer are at a 45* to each other. Does it go together like the regular Husky bars?

Just want as much information before I sell what I got which is nearly new and buy something that doesnt change the way the trailer tows..

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
In my poat above, click on the HERE link that is the site for Reese. On that side you can get the instruction and see how a Dual Cam works. The bars are located on cams that cause and increased pressure on the bar when it is taken from the straight ahead position. It wants to excet a force to keep the truck and trailer straight...no friction involved.

I just have a feeling that the tongue weight is a bit on the light side. That is why I suggest loading a couple of hundred pound forward in the trailer and try a test tow and see if it is better. I like to see the tongue weight closer to 12% of the loaded trailer weight. If you are around 11000# loaded, you need a minimum of 1100# on the hitch and I'd rather see somethng closer to 1300#.

With your present hitch, what is the rating on you WD bars?

Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 10:13 AM   #8

Not sure about the rating on the bars...I need to check that after work. I also need to get the trailer on some scales.
How is the Reese to hook and unhook when truck and trailer are at bad angles?

Thanks
Rick
Old 08-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not much different in hitching and unhitching than the Non-Dual Cam styles. If I am at a bad angle for hitching, I will pull the trailer forward enogh to straighten out and then attach the bars. Same thing backing, if it is a bad angle, I will drop the bars before I get all the way in.

Ken
Old 08-04-2009, 05:58 PM   #10

towing issues

I have a 5th wheel and last year we pulled it to fla. i had the same problem anything over 55 and i was all over the road. a few times we were almost side ways. after we got to fla. i climbed under the trailer and found loose bolts on the springs. and spring shackels. couldnt see them from out side had to climb under, replaced two bolts tighten the rest and never had another problem all the back. hope this helps. Greg
Old 08-04-2009, 09:41 PM   #11

You might want to check out this hitch: http://www.propridehitch.com/3P_trai....php?item_id=1.
This is a completely new design from Jim Hensley, of Hensley Hitch fame.
If we had a TT instead of a 5er, I would be using one.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:51 PM   #12

Took the instructions from the internet on how to check the WD and hitch height. I ended up dropping the ball 3 inches and the chain is now 6 links instead of 7. The instructions said that the truck should drop in height front and back equal if WD and hitch is correct height. We tried and tried and was never able to get the front suspension to move any.
Cant wait to try the new adjustments. We are headed for a 3 hour trip Friday. We will see...

Rick
Old 08-05-2009, 08:58 AM   #13
CD

rharveysr
I would suggest 2 things to try. First, check load capacity of the tires. I had a TT that only had enough tire for about 300lbs over the empty weight. I couldn't tow it over 45. I put on much bigger/heavier tires and could tow it any speed that I wanted. Second, if you know some one with a dually have them tow it. I found that our 28' TT handles much better with the dually. I don't think you are being sucked towards the trucks but the bow wake pressure (from the passing truck) on the side of the TT is pushing the back of PU away causing the front to move towards the truck that is passing.
Good Luck

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 09:19 AM   #14

Cliff, The tires that are on the rig now are ones that Costco put on back in May. They went by their book and also what was on the trailer already. I agree that different tires might do it but not sure. A trailer like this should not be this kind of trouble to tow. I have plans of converting my truck to a dually. Not only will it handle stuff like this better but it looks cool! Going with a flatbed as well...and lots of lights...lol Thanks Rick