Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-27-2014, 10:29 PM   #1

MOPAR RAM Hitch

I recently purchased a RAM 2014 3500 DRW with factory hitch prep and am having a hard time finding a hitch to fit the factory prep package. Are any of you having the same problem. Are any of you using the 25,000 pound MOPAR hitch or know anyone that is. If so what are the results and satisfaction/thoughts. Also any other hitch solutions would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2014, 04:36 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewstx View Post
I recently purchased a RAM 2014 3500 DRW with factory hitch prep and am having a hard time finding a hitch to fit the factory prep package. Are any of you having the same problem. Are any of you using the 25,000 pound MOPAR hitch or know anyone that is. If so what are the results and satisfaction/thoughts. Also any other hitch solutions would be appreciated.
I am by no means an expert but I "thought" that the same hitches (i.e., b&w, Reese, etc) that worked on ford prep would work on ram. Somehow use pucks to attach. I would call and check B&W as they are american made and very reputable company. I have used turnover ball many years with nary a problem.
Chad

Old 02-28-2014, 10:12 AM   #3

Ram factory prep pucks are different measurements than Ford prep.

I have talked to hitch manufacturers multiple times. Dodge didn't work with all of them prior to this. Best bet right now is NOT get it.
Old 02-28-2014, 10:36 AM   #4

The B&W companion hitch will work with the Ram trucks. There are two links for Ram trucks with the B&W hitch. One of the threads does get off track but the jest of it is that B&W will work on your truck. This is for a short bed truck with a slider; but the static hitch for a LB truck will also be able to use a B&W hitches.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/forums/showthread.php?242160-B-amp-W-Companion-SLIDER-Hitch

And the LB truck hitch for B&W hitch tread.

http://www.turbodieselregister.com/f...it-for-the-RAM

Jim W.
Old 02-28-2014, 11:14 PM   #5

You can buy the adapter from Reese Reese 5th Wheel Rail Adapter for Ram OEM 5th Wheel Towing Prep Package - 25,000 lbs Reese Fifth Wheel Installation Kit RP30154 that will let you any standard 5th wheel hitch (I use the Reese 20K). B&W should also have a hitch COMPANION OEM - 5TH WHEEL HITCH FOR RAM | B & W Trailer Hitches that will drop right into the Ram "pucks" in your bed.
'13 Ram Laramie 3500, Aisin auto,4:10, Reese adapter and 20K hitch, '10 HitchHiker 36LKRSB
Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2014, 09:02 AM   #6

B&W does not have a system out yet that fits the pucks in the new 2014 Ram truck 5th wheel prep puck system......trust me, I know....I currently have one of their first production run attempts sitting in the bed of my truck and it did NOT fit.

This was not B&W's fault.....good old Mopar sent them incorrect measurements and they missed the mark by about 2/16 of an inch. I was very sad when it did not drop in.

The folks at B&W are awesome though and they are working quickly on acquiring the correct measurements so they can go back to manufacturing. PullRite is coming out with their adapter plate approximately 17 March, but I am going to try to be patient and wait on B&W as I have pulled with both hitches in the past and prefer the Companion hitch system.

You can buy the Reese adapter or the Mopar one and get any ISR series from PullRite or any other hitch that is designed to fit industry standard rails.....but if you are like me and specifically want a B&W hitch, you are going to have to wait.
Old 04-15-2014, 08:37 AM   #7

I am looking at purchasing a Ram 3500 DRW, so what I am reading is not to get the FW tow prep from manufacturer? Do you still recommend to get the tow prep at Ram dealership? Also has anybody used the new camera feature that points in the bed of the truck ( not the backup camera) . This feature started in 2013. Do you use it?
Old 04-15-2014, 12:19 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCO View Post
I am looking at purchasing a Ram 3500 DRW, so what I am reading is not to get the FW tow prep from manufacturer? Do you still recommend to get the tow prep at Ram dealership?
There is nothing wrong with the MOPAR hitch prep pkg if you don't try to get by cheap and try to buy a cheaper hitch than the one made for the prep pkg. The correct hitch is the Reese Elite. Outstanding relatively-new design for a 5er hitch. You can buy it from any Dodge dealer.

Or you can probably get a bit better price from a discount hitch supplier such as Trailer hitch, hitches and bike rack (800)298-8924 - but if you buy it from someone other than Dodge then you must know enough to also buy the Reese Elite along with the correct adaptor kit that allows the Reese Elite hitch to plug into the MOPAR prep kit.

I don't know if Dodge sells the 18k slider hitch for the prep kit. If not, then you can buy that from etrailer.com for your short-bed tow vehicle. Just be sure you also buy the correct adaptor kit.

The "industry standard" rail kit is the antiquated Reese/Drawtite hitch rails that mount on top of the floor of the bed and attach to the frame of the tow vehicle. Reese Elite makes one that can mount to those bed rails if you don't order the prep kit from the truck manufacturer. Reese sells that one for folks with older trucks that have the bed rails but want the most modern 5er hitch head available.

The RAM (and Ford) factory installed prep kits are the under-bed rails the Reese Elite hitch was designed to use. When you remove the hitch, there is nothing in the bed but some holes filled with a plastic filler. They are a lot less expensive if you order them installed at the assembly plant than if you buy them from a hitch supplier than pay someone to install them. Experienced hitch installers have determined that the best way to install the Reese Elite under-bed rails is to first remove the bed, then the rest of the job is easy. But even easier is to let the RAM assembly plant do it for you.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #9

Mopar Ram hitch

I had to research many hitch manufacturers. What I finally got was a REESE adapter and a REESE 20K hitch. Not the r20 but the older version.
I wanted the B&W companion OEM RAM but they were having problems getting it released and I need to tow then. I tried two REESE R20 hitches but they would not lock onto my pin. After finding out thai was a China Product I got the older version which I think is a 30081 and like it. I found that the MOPAR package was a RTEESE adapter and a CURT hitch. Many hitch manufacturers are making RAM OEM plans to release soon. Also the Reese adapter will allow use of any standard rail mount hitch. It comes with both up to 20K pins and 20-25K Bolts for locking the standard rail hitches in.