Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2010, 04:17 PM   #1

Smile Mor-Ryde Pin Box System

I recently acquired a new 5th wheel and truck combination (Komfort 291fs, 10,000 lbs UVW, 35', and a Silverado long bed 2500 Duramax). After two trips with it, I think I would like to install the Mor-Ryde pin box. We experience some horizontal motion in the cab as we cruise down the road. I'm not feeling any up and down motion so I feel like the pin weight, balance, and suspension of the 5th wheel is adequate.

I've read most of the postings to this site regarding the pin box, still, I would love to hear comments from anyone with similar experience - good or bad. Especially bad - these pin boxes aren't cheap.

Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #2
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I have a Demco Glide Ride on my 5th wheel and it really makes a difference on the fore/aft surge that used to be present on my previous trailer. You might want to consider it as an alternative to the Mor-Ryde.

Old 01-21-2010, 07:00 PM   #3

The Mor-Ryde pin box and suspension on our 5er is great. The pin box moves 4 ways to absorb shock(plastic springs and wear plate), requires no maintenance.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitchhiker View Post
I have a Demco Glide Ride on my 5th wheel and it really makes a difference on the fore/aft surge that used to be present on my previous trailer.
+1 We added the Demco Glide Rite after towing our 5th wheel for a number of years. It reduced the fore/aft "chucking" and surge by probably 80% to 90%. We're a satisfied customer.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2010, 12:08 PM   #5

Uh no one has mentioned this, but there should be no forward movement at all between truck and 5er. If there is, something is not right with the hitch. I had a Reese 20k hitch and after some years towing I developed some slop... not between the 5er pin and the jaws, they were fine, but between the head of the hitch and the base. Turned out the u shaped cradle that holds the head were bent and needed reallignment. I called Reese and they said it was common and to use a large hammer to get the legs of the U back parallel with each other. It fixed my forward movement coming to a stop. If you have movement you need to fix it. If no movement and all you are feeling is chinking then, a Mor-Ride will help.
-Paul R. Haller-
Old 01-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

The MorRyde pin box has 3-4 different weight ratings for different GVW trailers--heavier units stiffer rubber biscuits in the box I had to go from a '3' to a '4' rubber due to the 17k GVW load I pull. It works very well and the Demco unit is very similar.
Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010, 05:33 AM   #7

I did the MorRyde pin box, and am happy I did, took out out a good deal of the chucking.
Old 01-26-2010, 01:25 PM   #8

Thanks everyone. I think I'm ready to pull the trigger on the Mor-ryde.
Old 03-22-2010, 10:28 AM   #9

well did you ?
We have the rubber pin box as well as a trailer saver air hitch and the Dexter EZ Flex system
Loving it
Old 03-23-2010, 07:27 AM   #10

Perfect timing. I did the install myself last Friday night. Since then, I've only put about 10 miles on it, so it may be too early to really tell the effectiveness. But, with an empty trailer and truck, the Mor-ryde pin box has reduced half of the chucking and start and stops are much smoother and there is absolutely no clunking of the pin against the receiver jaws when starting from a dead stop.

We have a trip planned for Easter weekend, I think that will be a good test as we will be traveling with a full tank of water and provisions.

I was thinking about doing the Dexter EZ flex system next, but I don't think I will tackle that one myself. I saved enough money doing the pin box myself to justify having someone else work on the axles.

So my next question is - has anyone experience a reduction in fore and aft chucking after installing a rubber-based spring equalizer? (Dexter, Trailair, Mor-ryde)

Thanks in advance for sharing your wisdom.
Old 03-23-2010, 09:56 AM   #11

The ez flex is a breeze if you have the tools & common sense. 2 of my sons and my self installed the system and also built & installed these http://www.morryde.com/php/products/aftermarket/xfactor.php
In the past tire blow outs I have broken a shock so we just changed all of them to these
http://www.monroeheavyduty.com/products/trailer_retrofit_kits.asp
The trailer was allready set up with shocks so it was just a on/off replacement
We also upgraded the 15" wheels & tires to Green ball 6 lug 16" 3750lb rated wheels. The tires Michelin Ribs 245`s. I have cracked 2 wheels & have had about 12 flats or blow outs in the 30k miles we have on the trailer.
We had it back on the ground by 1pm 5.5 hrs from gathering the tools (that included 1 trip to home depot) to putting everything away. O-yeah we also eat breakfast in there too

If you are un comfortable with that level of work then do sub it out because I was nerves getting the trailer that high in the air period & having the cribbing & jack stands that was required to block the trailer we also used 3 floor jacks 1 for each axle that made it a breeze. The ball joint press...... haven sent, we also used it to remove the old plastic bushings so as fast as the impact could run the press it would push out the old bussing and vice a versa also install the new bushings & wet bolts.
Old 03-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #12

Wow, seems like you've done everything possible to smooth out the ride. Do you go off-roading?

I also just replaced my Michelins with Green Ball tires. I purchased a 5th wheel that sat on small dealership lot for 3 years in the Phoenix sun and two of the tires, on the sunny side, showed signs of cracking. After doing some research on tires, I discovered that everyone has had great and terrible experiences with every tire possible. So, I went with what was readily available and requested fresh manufacturing dates. I got 5th week of 2010! They were still warm!

Good for you, installing the ez flex yourself, I'm going to pay for this mod - next year. I've put too much cash into this rig already this year.

BTW, what make/model of 5'er did you do all this work to?
Old 03-23-2010, 03:04 PM   #13

We do go off roading allot. We live in the desert & ride dirt bikes allot. I have also added 4" to the pin box Mount and bolted a boxed gusset in the original pin box position thus lowering the pin box I think I have about 12" of bed rail clearance. We also flipped the axles and I think we have about 28" of ground clearance from the frame to the ground. We also installed 9" stairs & pulled out the stock 6" folding stair set out. The truck & trailer set level when unloaded and when loaded I can adjust the air in the hitch to make up for a heavy trailer. But I just keep about 80psi in the hitch & it rides real nice.

My truck is a 08 f450 King ranch w 4:88 4x4 the trailer is an 05 Holiday Rambler Next Level 38CK w480 watts of solar, wine guard 1200 dish & a lot of mods
Old 03-23-2010, 04:33 PM   #14

Sweet!