Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-19-2008, 04:23 AM   #57

Well I don't know the ins and outs of vehicle laws as some of you seem to, but I live in NY and have never heard of special licenses for non commerical drivers in RVs.
Be that as it may, I don't care if my truck badge says it is a 3/4, 1 or 2 tons. The only important numbers are GAWR and GCWR. If you don't exceed either you are ok.
My rig is a 2005 F250, 4x4,crewCab short box, V10, 4.10 LSD.
According to the Ford "2005 RV and Trailer Towing Guide" the F250/350 have EXACLY the same GCWR and Maximun Loaded Trailer Weight for 5th wheel w/Automatic Tran(21,000# and 13,900#).
The only difference between these two vehicles in in the solo GVWR; the F250 is 9600# and F350 is 11,000#. The F350 has a 1300# cargo capacity advantage and the rear axle is rated at 7000# vs 6000# for the F250.
My truck weight in at 6358# that leaves 14,648# in the combination rating for trailer and cargo properly divided between truck and trailer so as not exceed the axle rating.
I have to trust that the vehicle manufacturers know the limits of their trucks and regardless of badging you will be safe if you don't exceed their recommendations.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2008, 05:23 AM   #58

I just read over this entire thread and it has lot's of good reading. One point that keeps coming out in the weight wars in other forums is the argument that the Ford Superduty SRW F350 and F250 are the identical trucks which is not true because they have different GVWRs.
Even if they were identical in every way, which they can be if ordered with the same equipment, that little sticker on the door jamb makes them different in the eyes of Ford and the law.
In most cases the guy buying the F250 thinking it is a stealth F350 does not know that to get the 7000 lb rear axle rating you need the 18" tires and the 3640 lb rated rubber. He gets an F250 with 17" wheels and lower rated tires because some high posting fool in some forum has convinced him that the F250 and F350 are the same truck.
This forum is excellent and a real breath of fresh air compared to the owner forums where the high posters become the RV experts.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:29 AM   #59

Seeing the title of this thread (More folks with out a clue!) reminded me of a family that camped next to us this past summer. A ton crew-cab pickup pulling a fifth wheel parked next to us this past summer. The husband and wife in the front seat each easily weighed over 250 lbs each. In the back seat were their three teenage sons each weighing over 200 lbs each. In the truck bed the fellow had an in-bed fuel tank-tool chest. He said the tank held 100 gallons.

Think about it.

In round numbers the truck weighed around 7,000 lbs.

The passenger load was over 1,100 lbs.

The fuel tank/ tool box another 1,000 lbs.

Adding in the hitch weight and other items in his truck bed the truck's weight was close to or exceeding it's GVWR rating.

AND you still have to add the pin weight of the fifth wheel !
tnance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2008, 06:32 AM   #60

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey Terry!
Not hijacking the thread, but it's good to see you over here again, come back more often. Your advice and comments are always welcome!

Best,
ruppr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:35 AM   #61

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Ray,IN:
There is a very informative sticky on the towing board, on another large RV forum, written by a retired State policeman, about weights, overloading, and the law.
In a nutshell, the only legal limits are axle limits like big trucks, and the amount of weight your truck is plated to gross.(my interpretation) He continues to say that he is not addressing safety or practicality, just the laws.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup!! And if you add up the front and rear axle ratings ON EVERY OCCASION they add up to more than the GVWR of the truck. Why?? Who knows. One Ford engineer told years back it had to do with what the parking brake would hold. Funny thing is all my semi's where i work are 44,000 rear and 12,000 front with NOTHING for a GVWR EXCEPT THE AXLE RATINGS!!! I have 2 of them that are stretched with tag axles and can go 54,000 on them without any kind of certification needed. The axle ratings on a pickup should add up to the GVWR, no more, no less. In fact why even have the GVWR?? Just go with the axle ratings! BTW, From 99 to 03 (maybe later but i'm not sure) Every part on a 250 and 350 SRW are identical part #'s EXCEPT for the door sticker, D vs E range tires and fender badge.............

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 07:19 AM   #62

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Wrenchtraveller:
I just read over this entire thread and it has lot's of good reading. One point that keeps coming out in the weight wars in other forums is the argument that the Ford Superduty SRW F350 and F250 are the identical trucks which is not true because they have different GVWRs.
Even if they were identical in every way, which they can be if ordered with the same equipment, that little sticker on the door jamb makes them different in the eyes of Ford and the law.
In most cases the guy buying the F250 thinking it is a stealth F350 does not know that to get the 7000 lb rear axle rating you need the 18" tires and the 3640 lb rated rubber. He gets an F250 with 17" wheels and lower rated tires because some high posting fool in some forum has convinced him that the F250 and F350 are the same truck.
This forum is excellent and a real breath of fresh air compared to the owner forums where the high posters become the RV experts. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>I agree with you, if you don't do your homework and know the real ratings for your vehicle you will be in trouble. My 9600# GVWR F250 sits on 275/70R18 Load range E tires, thats part of the package needed to carry my weight. If people assume all F250's of F350's for that matter are alike they will be wrong. Remember what ASSUME spells.
Old 03-22-2009, 12:58 PM   #63

unless you are towing commercial you don't need a cdl. also the post about overweight is wrong. weight laws are not manufacturers laws but are enforceable in a court of law and are set either by the state or federal goverment. and a short course in weight is 12,000 lbs on steering axle, 32.000 on drive tandems or trailer tandems or 20,000 on single axle if dual wheels and if single wheels 12,000lbs. so that makes the pickup at about 24,ooo and the trailer at about 24000 so i don't think either are over weight and as far as over length he could buy a over length premit for either one trip or a month or a year depending on state.
Old 03-22-2009, 06:00 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgillagorilla View Post
.....a short course in weight is 12,000 lbs on steering axle, 32.000 on drive tandems or trailer tandems or 20,000 on single axle if dual wheels and if single wheels 12,000lbs. so that makes the pickup at about 24,ooo and the trailer at about 24000 so i don't think either are over weight......
According to this logic, a Ford Ranger (12K on steering axle, 12 K on drive axle with single wheels) would be legal pulling a Teton. Is that your posit?

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:52 PM   #65

no what i was posting is the law about what you are legal under the federal bridge law to weigh without getting a ticket and pay the judge. i did not say you could put 12000 lbs on the front axle of a ranger. i doubt the pickup could hold 12000 lbs on both axle.
Old 03-23-2009, 03:32 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Which I think is precisely the point. Many states' weight laws have nothing to do with the ability of a given vehicle to operate safely. Rather, they are geared to (1.) protection of roads and bridges and (2.) revenue generation.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote