Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2013, 08:37 PM   #1

Mosquitos coming in RV

Nothing is open but the Mosquitos are still getting in ...how come? Any ideas?
Rojobro
Rojobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2013, 09:01 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
They're sneaky! If you open a door no matter how careful you are, some will get in.
Curious - where are you? Are they heavy outside or you just attracting them? Have you flushed all the pea traps - emptied the tanks? Has this happened before? Screens are usually pretty effective if no holes. Fog around door before going in and out is all I can think of.

Looking forward to hearing what others say and the solution.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 10:07 AM   #3

Grew up in MN and spent a lot of time in WI and MI, even were Yoopers on occasion.

They will get in. We fogged the place if they were real dense inside at bedtime. Dont know if there are any safe to use foggers.

Now, we just go where they are not.

Dave
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 06:06 PM   #4

Don't have a big problem here in the PNW, but I don't have any lights on near the door and I place Mosquitos coils out on each end of our campsite. Never a problem. Now if I could only get rid of the flies I would be in heaven.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #5

As flagship1 alluded, they may be breeding inside the trailer - or- coming in with you. To protect the open door, place a fan blowing out, in front of the door' they don't fly in wind. Even a fan outside blowing across the door helps. Of course if you are dry-camping fans are not an option. Inspect your trailer for openings that might be an entry point, hole in window screen, etc. Spray the screens with DEET once in a while to deter any that might be able to sneak through.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There are openings you can not see... SOME hardware stores carry a product called Hot Shot as I recall, this is a Vapona (TM) strip in a holder, It is sealed in a plastic/aluminum pouch and you glove up before opening, hang it up and then un-glove and wash your hands. (Full Haz Mat procedure).

They work very well.. I looked all over the south for 'em and no joy... Got a pair soon as I returned north (Michigan) at the first Hardware I visited.. Hung them up and the flying insect problem I had had for months... Vanished.

YOu need to replace 'em a couple times a year (3-6 months) when you start to notice excessive fllying pests.

Back in my Dairy farm boy days we bought the active chemical compound in 5 gallon pails and sprayed the stuff. The flys would... Well, "Drop like flys" when we sprayed it.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:17 AM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Another suggestion is to look for any gaps in the corners of your slideouts (where the rubber moldings may overlap)...

go6car is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:43 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by go6car View Post
Another suggestion is to look for any gaps in the corners of your slideouts (where the rubber moldings may overlap)...
That's where we found our gap. Could easily happen if your slide is slightly misaligned too. We had a major infestation in TX once and closing the slide was the only thing that stopped them getting it.
Old 07-30-2013, 08:49 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rojobro View Post
Nothing is open but the Mosquitos are still getting in ...how come? Any ideas?
Rojobro
You are obviously camping in the wrong place. You need to be in Arizona....
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 08:53 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
They are likely getting in somehow, but they might be breeding inside. Do you have any open drains that are not used? Mosquitoes can breed in a BOTTLECAP full of water.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:19 AM   #11

Thanks to all for their help with this problem. Someone asked where I was camping...we are in the lower Laurentians near Montreal. Will let you know what works once I have tried out your suggestions.
Rojobro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 11:18 AM   #12

If your rig has a sealed underbelly, there could be water pooling in the material that covers the underside. Check for places that are bowed down on those covers, there could be water accumulating there.
road dogs is offline   Reply With Quote