Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-13-2011, 11:38 PM   #1

Does anyone know if a brookstone 367RL 5th wheel can have a lift installed to haul a gold wing motorcycle and if so what type of lift??

jaru93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-13-2011, 11:51 PM   #2

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I would doubt very much that it can be done. Usually the frame is marginal for the weight anyway as are the axles/tires. You'd be better off looking for an MDT and putting the Gold Wing up on it, between the cab and 5th wheel. I've seen some on the used market that were already set up that way.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:03 AM   #3

What's an mdt?
Old 10-14-2011, 12:33 AM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaru93 View Post
What's an mdt?
Medium Duty Truck
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:42 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
I believe for most motorcycle lifts, the frame must be at least 8 or 10". You need to check the specs for the lift. Additionally, most 5ers don't run the frame all the way to the rear "bumper" so it would need to be extended.

When I was spec'ing my 5er out with the Newmar Rep, I wanted to do the same. I had the info from Blue-Ox for their lift and, while Newmar would not mounted the lift, they would have extended the frame for me. At the very last minute I changed my mind. I really did not want to have a 900+ pound bike (Ultra Classic) plus the weight of the lift hanging on the back of the rig. So in the end, I passed on doing it.

Now I know Freightliner makes a Sport Chassis (I think that is the one with the "garage" behind the cab) but it is a fairly pricey choice.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 12:58 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Here is a 5th pulling a Gold Wing a better and cheaper way then any lift.
Old 10-14-2011, 01:05 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
5th wheel frames are not noted for being strong. Montana puts a small receiver on their rigs with a max weight of 200#.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #8

Excel Owners Club
I have a Hydralift on my Peterson Excel Winslow 28 RLW that the factory installed. The Excel frames are some of the strongest in the industry and it helps that my trailer is short.

Go to a competent hitch shop and find out what they recommend before you hang anything off the back of your 5er. If you're not careful you can bend the frame so that your slides will bind.
KTM Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:35 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triker56 View Post
Here is a 5th pulling a Gold Wing a better and cheaper way then any lift.
I second that. Below is a link where you can make your own swivel trailer for a lot less $. I'm building one now with double wheels for my 5th.

Double Hitch Company

I'm going to build it like a lowboy trailer so the bed is only 12" from the ground for easy loading. It will also have an alum. toolbox up front with my gen. in it. All for around $2000 and better built.

On our way back from our last trip we saw a goldwing laying on the side of the road still attached to the lift. A few miles down the road we saw the 5th wheel it was attached to. We stopped them and they never knew it had fallen off.... ouch!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would never hang a 800+ plus bike on the back of a 5er. That is way too much load back there when going down the road. Most people never consider the fact that the bike is a dynamic load and the stresses are several time that of the static (at rest load).

I addition, all that weight hanging out the back is going to unload the pin weight and WILL effect the trailer handling.

You might consider something along the lines of the Double Hitch.

Ken
Old 10-23-2011, 10:34 AM   #11

You might get away with carrying a very light motorcycle back there but I would consider something like a Goldwing out of the question (and remember you are not only carrying the weight of the bike back there but the weight of the lift as well.) 5th wheel frames are just not designed for that and as was also mentioned you would probably severely mess up the pin weight balance. One day the bike just might not be back there when you arrive .

There are some contraptions that carry the weight on an additional set of wheels but there are issues there too (can't see the rig while driving, they inhibit backing, and your bike will get dirtier than you ever imagined possible.)

If you really want to have the bike along (and I can certainly understand why you would) then the best answer is a toy hauler... that's what they're made for.
Old 10-23-2011, 12:08 PM   #12

Thanks everyone for all your thoughts and info! I'm currently looking at toy haulers for all the reasons you've shared! I'm leaning towards a Cyclone 3010 by Heartland. If any of you have any thoughts one way or another I welcome them!

Thanks in advance!

Jim Johnson
Gig Harbor, Wa