Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #1

Hi all. I want to put a Prodigy in my 2003 Superduty, but its not obvious where a good mounting location would be. I can't tell if the box would fit in the "wallet holder" slot in the dash to the right of the steering column, and the top of the dash Ford foolishly chose to make curved. Where did you guys and gals have your Prodigy installed?

Also, is there a plug-n-play adapter to make the install simple, or will I have to solder the pigtail adapter?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:43 AM   #2

Hi all. I want to put a Prodigy in my 2003 Superduty, but its not obvious where a good mounting location would be. I can't tell if the box would fit in the "wallet holder" slot in the dash to the right of the steering column, and the top of the dash Ford foolishly chose to make curved. Where did you guys and gals have your Prodigy installed?

Also, is there a plug-n-play adapter to make the install simple, or will I have to solder the pigtail adapter?

Old 04-18-2005, 08:00 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
I had a Jordan controller in my '03 and it didnt fit in the hole. I know others have put controllers in there and drilled out a hole in the back of it for the wiring. Can't you slide it in there to see if it fits? I put mine on the right side of the removable knee knocker panel about an inch or so down from the top.
As far as wiring it, you should have a towing plug that came with the truck that you wire to the Prodigy and then that plug snaps into one located behind the dash to the right side under that "removable knee knocker" that I mentioned.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #4

I'm not sure what you mean by "knee knocker panel". I have a manual tranny and 4WD so the dash ***'y over the tranny hump may be different from yours.

I don't have a Prodigy in hand yet, I'm trying to figure out which parts to get. On Tekonsha's web site they show two mounts, a "mounting bracket" and a "pocket mount". And a "OEM Style Wiring Harness" for my truck which has snap connectors at each end. One end goes into the controller box no doubt, and I figure the other end snaps into a matching connector in the dash harness somewhere, but I want to make sure that's what's going on before ordering parts.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:15 AM   #5

DPtoo, just a thought.

If you have the LxWxH dimensions of the controller, then make a wood block of the same size. Then it would be easy to determine where the controller will or won't fit.

I'd suggest to make the "block" controller a bit oversize to allow a bit of clearance on all sides.
Old 04-18-2005, 10:10 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Under the steering wheel, there is a removable panel that goes from the left side of the dash over to almost the hump. That comes off. Behind that and to the right is a grey(I beleve) four or six wire plug(if I remember right) that you will use to plug the controller into. The plug is kinda square.
So I mounted my Jordan on that removable panel on the right side of it and high enough to where I could reach it to adjust it and out off the way of me bumping it with my knees. I am sorry I didnt catch the fact you dont actually have the controller yet as to why you want to know if it would fit in that pocket. Speaking of that pocket, I believe that plug behind the dash is real close to that pocket and to the left of it.
Mike
ISLAPP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 11:54 AM   #7

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
Once you get the controller you can see where your hand can reach it quickly when you need to, but I hung mine just below that cubbyhole. I just use that cubby for too much 'stuff' while on the road to fill it up.
And I just put in XM Radio and in retrospect I should have mounted that right next to my brake controller, but I put that on top of my dash. My feeling now is, anything that lights up is NOT going on top of the dash, its going down below. Too distracting at night.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 12:17 PM   #8

knute, as far as I can tell, the dimensions of the Prodigy are classified. I rooted around Tekonsha's website and downloaded several PDFs, but no dimensions to be had.

FatDog, since I have "old school" 4WD and not the "on demand" bit, I have a beautiful flat spot on the dash immediately east of the steering column; if I ever get off my lazy butt, that's where I want to mount an XM or Sirius box. I take it you used the U shaped bracket to mount your Prodigy? Any difficulty getting it level and square to the chassis?
Old 04-18-2005, 04:22 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I have mine wedged in the wallet holder, widgi spot. I drilled a hole in the back and ran the iwres through. I have the bracket on the Prodigy and I put some velcro on that and the bottom of the wallet/pocket, and it works great and does not move, plus it is at arms length in I need it. Let me know if you need a pic or some help. Just PM me.

2 Boys & My Pups
NYMoose "Lenny" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 07:29 PM   #10

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
DPtoo
I have a Jordan controller and I have mine just attaching directly to the underside and it doesn't need to be flush with the frame, it hugs the bend of the underdash. And that flat spot you are going to attach your XM to is right underneath the heater outlet. I tried to attach my XM away from any heater outlets although one of the brackets that XM gives you just clips the radio right on to a heater outlet vent!!! I couldn't figure that one out !?. Sound safe for the radio to you??
And if I had 'real' 4WD and not the 'on demand' type, I still wouldn't have that flat spot to use because I have a BanksBrake and needed a spot to put the switch. I ended up putting that switch right inbetween the steering column and the 4WD switch.
Hey, we just have too much stuff to put in these things and we need more flat spots.!

And since you bring up the fact that the top of the dash is now curved these days and no longer flat, just where do they think we can put our fries, doughnuts, Thomas Brothers, wrenches, cell phone, and 25 pencils?? Those all sure don't fit in that cubby hole.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2005, 08:26 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by FatDog:
And that flat spot you are going to attach your XM to is right underneath the heater outlet. I tried to attach my XM away from any heater outlets although one of the brackets that XM gives you just clips the radio right on to a heater outlet vent!!! I couldn't figure that one out !?. Sound safe for the radio to you??
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Only a problem for the 3 months a year I need to run the heater. The other nine the sat-radio controller is more at risk of frostbite.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">And since you bring up the fact that the top of the dash is now curved these days and no longer flat, just where do they think we can put our fries, doughnuts, Thomas Brothers, wrenches, cell phone, and 25 pencils?? Those all sure don't fit in that cubby hole. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ah yes, Thomas Bros maps. I drove a delivery van one summer, those things are awesome. I wish they had them for this area. Perhaps if you unscrew the knob, you could slide some doughnuts onto the shift lever. Bear claws would get messy, tho.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:30 PM   #12

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by NYMoose:
Let me know if you need a pic or some help. Just PM me. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

A pic or two would be great. The "PM" on this board software doesn't appear to work the way I am used to, if you have the pics handy feel free to start a "private topic" and I'll try to take a look.
Old 04-19-2005, 06:24 PM   #13

I will second the prodigy in the little cubby hole. Just pushed it in as far as it would go and it hasn't moved yet. I did not drill a hole to run wires, just ran them in on the side of the controller.
Old 04-21-2005, 08:12 AM   #14

I third the cubby hole. It does not interfere with my leg there. Drilled hole in back of hole, used double back tape on bracket to hold in there.