Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #29

Now you are thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cam_c View Post
OK, first funny thing when I read he needed help and had lost his TV, I thought what the he!! dose his TV have to do with anything? LOL

I have a friend that has had to pull a few crazy trailers around for other people, He makes them give him a bill of sale, hooks up and runs the trailer to it's new home, tears up the bill of sale.

Now you are thinking.

You would own the TV and Trailer and there isnít any cargo.

Then the only problem you have is the towing vehicle insurance that automatically covers a newly purchased trailer is only liability insurance not loss insurance for the trailer. At least thatís the way it is in the state of Florida.

3665RE

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-30-2012, 08:48 PM   #30

That is terrific as long as the towing party doesn't disappear with the trailer and paper work. Too much risk involved doing favors like this unless the trailer owner is a trusted friend and not just an acquaintance 'in need'.
I responded to a craig's list ad looking for someone to move a fiver, the guy sounded good. Sounded like a pleasant excuse for a Sunday drive.We set a time but he never called back with an address.

Old 05-30-2012, 10:26 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
If it's his home, I don't think even the gov't can take it.
So all the foreclosures that have put the homeowner on the street are not allowed??
denverhank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:38 PM   #32

Aren't those bank foreclosures?
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:51 PM   #33

Solo Rvers Club
Commercial Vehicle Regulations? DOT? Why do those entities even come into the equation. If I wanted to help the guy move his trailer 25 miles, I would have him follow in a separate vehicle as a watchdog which would eliminate any "rear-view" worries, and take my time.... For that matter, you could put someone else in a car directly in front, have another car behind and all use radios to communicate for stops, turns, etc. Jeez. You're just trying to help a guy out.... Hope you can do it.
steelheadbluesman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:12 PM   #34

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by racefn View Post
for all the time it takes to read these posts, you could have been done already
lol... I was just thinking that. Why overthink a simple situation??

I read a post on here a few months back where a gentleman made a 400 mile trip for someone as a gas money favor. It didnt turn out well as the favor soliciter left him on the hook for fuel, storage and theft.

As for the DOT auditor... guess you forgot 1 thing. RVs are not commercial vehicles and are not subject to the same regulations. Sure weight and length violations are one thing... towing a trailer/rv is completely different.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:38 PM   #35

Quote:

I have to disagree with you on this one. If he owes money on it, it can be
repossessed.
The bank can take your house, truck, or RV if you don't pay for it...
The bank doesn't care if you have a place to live...

Maybe you are thinking of a bankruptcy, usually the govmt lets you keep
your house when you do that.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:55 PM   #36

Yeah, that is what I was thinking about.

Todd, that was what I was talking about a few post ago. 400 mile trip gone bad, real bad. The do-gooder ended up with a police record and was out a bunch of $$s.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 01:55 AM   #37

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Quote:
WRONG! There is no longer any such thing as property rights or exempt homestead in this country.

One of the reasons I am now full timing is a medical emergency caused me to get two months behind in my mortgage. The lender changed the locks on my house four years ago and threw me in the street. I rented for awhile but the situation with my landlord became intolerable with sky high rents and no notice "inspections".

I had to go broke with a bankruptcy filing. My wife and I have reestablished credit. I have the credit scores and the income for a new home, but Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac, the quasi-government agencies that buy most of the mortgage paper in this country, have rules that will keep me from EVER getting another home. Why? The lender on my previous home lost the mortgage note and can't foreclose, but was awarded the home when we surrendered it in the bankruptcy (a moot point, since they already HAD the home for nearly a year before we filed). Fannie and Freddie won't buy the mortgage on a new home for seven years after the borrower had a previous foreclosure. No note, no foreclosure, no clock starting. Your government at work there...

Meanwhile, the house I spent $7000 for a new roof four months prior to having it stolen out from under me has been vandalized, broken into, and the copper piping and air conditioner stolen. It isn't worth the powder it would take to blow it to hell.

My parents had their home seized twenty years ago by the IRS after my father had the same medical emergency that did me in, and he couldn't pay his taxes due to mounting medical bills.

I had my home stolen by a bank and my only recourse was a lawsuit which would take years. Anyone who thinks there is such a thing as property rights in this country is fooling themselves. Just Google Kelo vs. City of New Haven, or ask any of the thousands of people who got screwed by big banks with the aid of a "benevolent" government.

So much for the thread hijack, back to the original subject already in progress.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 02:23 AM   #38

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd move it for him and not give it a second thought.
But if you don't feel you abilities are up to snuff without getting into some kind of beans; get some extra coverage if needed.
I sure wouldn't think too much on the issue.
It's a favor!

2012 Tiffin Allegro 34TGA
2013 Jeep Wrangler Sport
woodburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:58 AM   #39

Newmar Owners Club
Isn't it a shame that "Legal Liability" issues always crop up in everything We do these Days.
We used to just do it in the past...Now We have to seek Legal Council to cross the Lawn!
Old 05-31-2012, 03:18 PM   #40

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
I called my insurance company today and asked what the pros and cons would be. I was told that with the policy currently on my truck, it is fully covered. The trailer is also covered, since a fifth wheel is considered part of the tow vehicle, while it is hitched up. The only thing my insurance will not cover, is the contents of the fifth wheel. If anything in it gets damaged, it is the responsibility of the owner and not myself, or my insurance company. My insurance would also not cover any damages to the fifth wheel, in the event of a blowout, etc.. The comprehensive coverage is the responsibility of the owner. Since I don't own it, I cannot insure it.

Also, since I've decided to do it as a favor, I am in no way commercial. This is the guy's home now. His wife and kids will be following us in their van.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 03:19 PM   #41

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobRV View Post
Isn't it a shame that "Legal Liability" issues always crop up in everything We do these Days.
We used to just do it in the past...Now We have to seek Legal Council to cross the Lawn!

It is a crying shame!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-31-2012, 03:24 PM   #42

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3665RE View Post
Now you are thinking.

You would own the TV and Trailer and there isnít any cargo.

Then the only problem you have is the towing vehicle insurance that automatically covers a newly purchased trailer is only liability insurance not loss insurance for the trailer. At least thatís the way it is in the state of Florida.

3665RE
Only problem with that, would be the registration.. It would still be titled and registered in his name... When we bought our current fiver, the insurance from the previous one carried over for 30 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyM View Post
That is terrific as long as the towing party doesn't disappear with the trailer and paper work. Too much risk involved doing favors like this unless the trailer owner is a trusted friend and not just an acquaintance 'in need'.
He's going to be riding with me and his wife & kids will be following us... No chance of me stealing it...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]