Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #15

If you want to help a friend out, hook on it and go. I'd maybe call your ins agent and tell them what you'd like to do, but I'd think you'd be covered. Just for reference, I own /operate a for hire trucking company. On the rare occasion I need to pull a trailer that isn't owned by me...and my ins covers them. Also, you are not commercial for pulling your neighbors trailer....you are not in this as a business and aren't doing it for compensation. I'm not an ins agent, so check with them to be sure...but I really wouldn't worry about it too much.
Trent McCain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-29-2012, 08:59 PM   #16

Speaking of my state only, IN. When you hook onto a trailer your vehicle insurance covers the trailer. If you accept any monies you are doing it for hire. My solution, accept/talk about, no money, until the move is completed. The thing that makes me shy away is this is a stranger, you don't know for sure he has title to the trailer, do you?
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #17

What stranger? It's his neighbor. Re-read post #1.

Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 04:47 AM   #18

That is correct

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kunysz513 View Post
That's ridiculous. So DOT says I can't tow or pull a friends trailer or boat on a trailer with my truck?

That is absolutely correct.

The advantage to the Federal law is you can own your 18-wheeler and all of the items in your 18-wheeler are for your personal use you are not a “Commercial Vehicle” and you are not required to comply with the commercial vehicle laws. You are not required a CDL or a DOT number on the truck but you are required to comply with all the weight, speed limit and bridge weight etc regulations.

When you are not in compliance with the “for your personal use” law you are a commercial vehicle regardless of weather or not money changes hands.

Going to court to show your were doing it as a favor has nothing to do with the law in question.

This what I do as a consultant. I audit DOT common carriers paperwork to determine if they are making any errors that would result in a fine.

3665RE
Old 05-30-2012, 05:10 AM   #19

I'm thinking typically the towing vehicle is insured by you and the towed vehicle is insured by him(RV policy), if you owned both they are insured separately (sometimes by the same insurer). Just make sure he has his insurance and I think in the worst case scenario (accident) his insurance will possibly sue your insurance (if they can show you did something stupid). I would be rushing to help...
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 AM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
When you call the insurance, no matter what the reply it will be on your record that you called.
Rebel
rebelone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 06:21 AM   #21

When Michelin decided to damage my truck and 5er, my truck insurance covered the damage to both, even though I had a policy on the 5er. I only had to pay the deductible on my truck.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelone View Post
When you call the insurance, no matter what the reply it will be on your record that you called.
Rebel
Call another insurance company and ask if a 5er is covered if you buy truck policy from them.

Old 05-30-2012, 06:29 AM   #23

Gulf Streamers Club
for all the time it takes to read these posts, you could have been done already
2010 Harley Ultra Classic
racefn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #24
D333RLT Tower

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
What stranger? It's his neighbor. Re-read post #1.
Reread post #7 before you jump down someone's throat. It says-

"The rider sounds like a good idea... I just met this guy this afternoon, but he's a fellow RV'er in need.."
Old 05-30-2012, 02:44 PM   #25

Well excuse me. I just assumed he wasn't a stranger when he posted his "neighbors" living arrangements and financial situation.

Old 05-30-2012, 03:40 PM   #26

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
My only concern would be if he is in so much trouble financially that he lost his tow vehicle to the repo man, it is not too far fetched to consider whether you are helping him hide an asset that that is also on the repo man's list...

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 03:44 PM   #27

If it's his home, I don't think even the gov't can take it.

Old 05-30-2012, 04:43 PM   #28

OK, first funny thing when I read he needed help and had lost his TV, I thought what the he!! dose his TV have to do with anything? LOL

I have a friend that has had to pull a few crazy trailers around for other people, He makes them give him a bill of sale, hooks up and runs the trailer to it's new home, tears up the bill of sale.
cam_c is offline   Reply With Quote