Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-28-2012, 02:33 PM   #1

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Move a fifth wheel for someone else?

As we were packing up today, one of our neighbors asked if it would be possible for me to move his fifth wheel next weekend. He lives in it full time and his financial situation caused him to lose his TV.

I'm more than happy to move it for him, but I want to protect myself legally. My insurance covers anything I'm towing, but I'd like him to provide his own insurance. I'm also not sure I wouldn't be considered commercial, since I'd be doing it for someone else.

How would be the best way to go about this? Or, what other option could I give him?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EMD_Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-28-2012, 02:52 PM   #2

Hard question to answer, a lot depends on how well you know him as I always like to help folks when I can, however there's always the liability factor. I would run the scenario by my insurance agent and get a reading from them as to how your liability coverage would work if when moving another person's 5th wheel if it gets damaged.

If it covers moving another person's RV then it would be up to you. Personally I wouldn't do it and risk the chance of something going bad during the move, but then that's your call.

Best of luck

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:02 PM   #3

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVJ58 View Post
Personally I wouldn't do it and risk the chance of something going bad during the move, but then that's your call.

Best of luck
I really appreciate your reply!

I know I'll have to get him to sign a release of liability.. I figured that would be the minimum. If I end up doing it, I would only ask him to pay for the fuel. I wouldn't feel right, asking for more than that. BTW: We're only talking a 25 mile move..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #4

See if your insurance can put a 24 hour rider on your policy and get your friend to pay for it and gas.

When I bought my 5er, I had a friend from work move it from the dealer to my house. He wouldn't take anything for gas and insurance never came up.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
I've rescued friends and relatives by moving their 5th wheels in the past. Quite honestly, we never discussed insurance - perhaps we should have.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 03:29 PM   #6

I know when you buy a new vehicle, you are automatically covered for so many days. Don't know if that would apply to buying a new rig or moving someone else's.
Old 05-28-2012, 03:40 PM   #7

Excel Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
See if your insurance can put a 24 hour rider on your policy and get your friend to pay for it and gas.

When I bought my 5er, I had a friend from work move it from the dealer to my house. He wouldn't take anything for gas and insurance never came up.
The rider sounds like a good idea... I just met this guy this afternoon, but he's a fellow RV'er in need..

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
I've rescued friends and relatives by moving their 5th wheels in the past. Quite honestly, we never discussed insurance - perhaps we should have.

Rusty
When our truck broke down two years ago, we had a friend come pull our fiver the rest of the way to the CG for us. When the weekend was over, my GF's son came and hauled it home for us.. We got help when we needed it.. I just want to help pass it forward..
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 05-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #8

Texas Boomers Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EMD_Driver View Post
As we were packing up today, one of our neighbors asked if it would be possible for me to move his fifth wheel next weekend. He lives in it full time and his financial situation caused him to lose his TV.

I'm more than happy to move it for him, but I want to protect myself legally. My insurance covers anything I'm towing, but I'd like him to provide his own insurance. I'm also not sure I wouldn't be considered commercial, since I'd be doing it for someone else.

How would be the best way to go about this? Or, what other option could I give him?
I would probably offer to pay for a professional tow company move his rig. Couldn't be that much for a short tow.

2015 F-150 King Ranch LB 3.5 L twin turbo Ecoboost Toad, Texas Boomers RV Club
FMCA F292298, NRA Benefactor Life Member
dlovitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:31 PM   #9

Commercial Vehicle Regulations

Hi

The DOT regulations both state and federal exempt private trucks from the Commercial Vehicle Regulations for a truck or truck trailer combination when the truck or truck & trailer combination are both the property of the truck driver / operator and all items contained in the vehicle and trailer are for the personal use of the driver / operator of the truck or truck and trailer combination.

When you back under some else’s trailer you become a Commercial Vehicle and this has nothing to do with money changing hands.

I saw a post on one of the diesel truck forums where a fellow had gone and picked up his neighbors car with his pickup truck and trailer that was capable of hauling the car. He was complaining about $600.00 in fines for operating a Commercial Vehicle without the proper driving license and certifications for the vehicle.

3665RE
Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 PM   #10

That's ridiculous. So DOT says I can't tow or pull a friends trailer or boat on a trailer with my truck?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:03 PM   #11

So... Where's the rest of the story(law). The ifs, ands and buts?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:12 PM   #12

Seems to be a grey area. If you could prove you were doing it as a favor and not accepting any payment you should not be subject to commercial regs. As far as liability goes, does your state require a tag or temporary operation permit to be on the road? Would this include mandatory liability insurance? That is the case here in British Columbia. The downside would be assuming responsibility for damage to the trailer
Old 05-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #13

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunner View Post
I know when you buy a new vehicle, you are automatically covered for so many days. Don't know if that would apply to buying a new rig or moving someone else's.
Two totally different scenarios. In the first you bought it, in the second someone else owns it.

OP: call the insurance co. or agent and ask.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post

Rusty

Ditto. What has happened to just trying to help someone? Problems if the stinking lawyers.

Ken