Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 06-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #1
Moving a breakaway switch

I just ordered a weight distribution hitch for my trailer and I just realized the frame brackets need to install right where the current breakaway switch is installed. My question is should I just cut the wires and remove the breakaway switch then remount it somewhere else or should I purchase a new breakaway switch and re-run the new wires that come with it and tie it into the trailer brakes?

bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2016, 06:33 PM   #2

No problem re-locating the current switch .

BUT : Match the wire size and solder your connections and shrink wrap the joints. The safety factor provided by the break-away switch is the last thing you want to trust to a butt connector or two or four.

99DSDP 3884, Freightliner, XC, CAT 3126B, 300 HP /ALLISON 3060
2000 Caravan toad, Remco & Blue Ox.
Skip426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 09:53 PM   #3

Whichever choice you make the point of arresting corrosion is a valid one. I'd be surprised though if the original splice you find was soldered.
I've found some "flowing silicone windshield sealant" that seals most splices and wire joints very well.

Some light spray silicone works well on the harness plugs, bulb sockets, as well as that b-a switch plunger.

Do keep in mind if re-wiring, that the break-away (b-a) brake is powered by your house battery(s) 12V circuit and not the TV harness.

I wonder if anyone ever tests their B-A brakes periodically ??

Happy trails.
J & J + Kickr's the Vonderhund
DRV, ES-38RSSA, 19.6K#
GMC, 3500HD-Max, CC, 8'-DRW, 9.1K#
MtnTrek is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2016, 09:21 AM   #4
Thanks for the advice everyone.
bsmith95610 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 05:27 PM   #5
Thanks for the reminder mtn trek.
Just checked my breakaway switch and it doesn't work at all. I will be checking switch tomorrow .
nomad95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 06:48 AM   #6
Originally Posted by MtnTrek View Post
I wonder if anyone ever tests their B-A brakes periodically ??

Happy trails.
I was making a turn off the highway into a parking lot when all of a sudden I came to a quick stop! Turns out I attached the breakaway cable too short, and thank goodness I was off the highway when it happened. Got me thinking though, if 5th became unattached from hitch, would I want the trailer brakes to come on as it would then cause the unit to slide back into the trucks tailgate. I can see with a TT as your crossed safety chains would keep it with the TV.

Ok, getting back to regular programming, X2 what has been said above re: moving BA switch.
David & Marion, MacGregor, Manitoba
2015 Ram 2500 CC, SRW, Cummins
2002 Titanium 29e34RL
dmstepa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 10:16 AM   #7
Winnebago Owners Club
I find it hard to believe that there would not be a bit of slack in the wires to the switch. I hated the location that Camping World mounted my switch and moved it. All that was needed was to cut a bundle tie and redirect the wire with no need to cut either wire. Hopefully, yours will be just as easy.

Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote