Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2010, 11:09 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Not to take over the thread or cause a bunch of hate. Most of the older 5th wheels are alot heavier than you might think. The hitch weight is also up there and that is why you go with the 1ton dually when possible. He even stated he has made the mistake of down sizing before and now he is doing what most of us end up doing is UPSIZING because we really like it and want to be very comfortable.

Now that said, can all just get along It was just IMHO
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2010, 12:46 PM   #16
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynn boyd View Post
did I missread his post?? he says hes looking at 5er UNDER 31ft. most weights ive seen on 25-30ft range go from 5k-11k lbs.
its funny the range of opinions on towing. folks here telling him he needs a 1 ton dulley.. and the dealers would probably tell him he can pull a 5er in that range with a 1/2 ton.
I must agree it is better to have too much truck, than too much trailer
You can tow a 747 with a 1/2T but that's about all you can do with it. I have seen a video of that.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:25 PM   #17

I towed this for two years with no problems.34' 5er with 21' bassboat.they together weighed 16,000#

transamz9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2010, 08:31 PM   #18

I now tow this. 39' Sandpiper that weighs 13,000# + loaded.I will be putting the boat behind this also when I get time to build the hitch. So yes you can pull it safely with a 3/4 ton cummins. Dry pin weight on this is 2150#. I do it without bags.

Old 09-13-2010, 06:18 PM   #19

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
I now tow this. 39' Sandpiper that weighs 13,000# + loaded.I will be putting the boat behind this also when I get time to build the hitch. So yes you can pull it safely with a 3/4 ton cummins. Dry pin weight on this is 2150#. I do it without bags.

No one said you could NOT tow it, but to do it legally and within the rated standards of the TV is what it all about. To be safe for your self and for the others out there is what it all about. I want to get there in one piece and enjoy the trip.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:42 PM   #20

So why do you say that it is not safe and will not get there in one piece. I will say so no one gets confused that it is not legal in most states without permit. I was 76' long in the first picture and will be 82' in the second when I hook the boat to it.

My GCVW will be 25,300# +or-

Yes that is more than the recommended GCVWR of the truck.

RV 's do not have the same restrictions as a commercial vehicle.If you are not trying to go through downtown one way streets then the D.O.T will not likely bother you.

My truck will more than stop itself. The fifth wheel will more than stop itself. And the boat has more than enough brakes.

I drive a semi at work hauling equipment and there are time I weigh over 150,000#.As long as you do not overload any axles then you are legal with permits.

I have talked to D.O.T officers and they have all told me that as long as I am not doing anything stupid then they won't bother me. I am going to Guntersville Lake in April.

No it don't handle like the truck does empty but it is a heck of a lot more stable and safer than an 80,000# semi.Stops WAY better also.

It may not be your cup of tea but don't tell someone it's not safe if you haven't tried it first.Everyone has different limits.
Old 09-13-2010, 08:01 PM   #21

Now back to the question at hand.Depending on how much money you want to spend.My rig is a 2005 Dodge 2500 4X4 crew with a 5.9 Cummins that has a K&N air filter with a Bully Dog GT. I pull a 2011 Sandpiper 345 RET and I get 14 MPG + or - @ 70-72 MPH. I think it would be the perfect 5er for what you want. If you would like I can post up some interior pics.Here is one just to show the living room.

Old 09-13-2010, 08:02 PM   #22

Picture of the recliners.........

Old 09-13-2010, 08:46 PM   #23
CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by transamz9 View Post
So why do you say that it is not safe and will not get there in one piece. I will say so no one gets confused that it is not legal in most states without permit. I was 76' long in the first picture and will be 82' in the second when I hook the boat to it.

My GCVW will be 25,300# +or-

Yes that is more than the recommended GCVWR of the truck.

Here's an example why many of us think that it is not safe.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 03:49 AM   #24

I am so sorry for this loss.It is never good for anyone to have to lose their life over something stupid like a car cutting them off.

I can see that this is going to be one sided so I will leave it at that. I hope you guys don't never get cut off .
Old 09-14-2010, 07:10 AM   #25

weight limits are not looked at very close until there is an accident. you have clearly exceeded what your truck is rated to tow.

bump someone and they will be sleepin in your 5er.. fishen with your boat and still have enough money left over to get a DRW TV to leagally pull it with.
lynn boyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 11:09 AM   #26

Tiffin Owners Club
Given the parameters that the original poster set for himself, his proposed trailer with that truck should be a good combination. The Dodge will very comfortably handle a fifth up to 13k pounds and remain within the factory recommendations.

Bill
Old 09-14-2010, 11:19 AM   #27

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1374 View Post
The Dodge will very comfortably handle a fifth up to 13k pounds and remain within the factory recommendations.
With all respect, I suspect that a 2500 is going to be over its GVWR limit with a roughly 2,600 lb (20% of 13,000 lbs) pin weight.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 05:31 PM   #28

Bill1374,
Just for grins, what ARE the factory recs on the truck in the discussion?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote