Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #1

OK I did the numbers and slowing down from 70 mph to 65 mph, saved 3/10 of a mpg.

My tip last year running right around 70 mph gave me 9.5 mpg one fill up (Both tanks) and 9.6 the other.

This trip was 1049 miles on 107 gallons. Which worked out to be 9.8 mpg. All but about 30 miles were hooked to the fiver towing.

Now a "Full load of fuel" in both tanks is 125 gallons or so. So this trip was one fill up. Last years trip was a bit longer (1,600 miles) thus required two fuelings.

Now another varible was this year I had the fresh water tank full as I planned on a few days without being at a campground. So that is around 80 more gallons of water than I had last year. Last year I had maybe 20 gallons of water on board. This year the 110 gallon water tank was full.

So instead of the 23,000 pounds I scaled last year, I scaled almost 24,000 pounds this year.

The rig/combo is the one in my sig.

That's the facts Jack!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2008, 08:21 AM   #2

OK I did the numbers and slowing down from 70 mph to 65 mph, saved 3/10 of a mpg.

My tip last year running right around 70 mph gave me 9.5 mpg one fill up (Both tanks) and 9.6 the other.

This trip was 1049 miles on 107 gallons. Which worked out to be 9.8 mpg. All but about 30 miles were hooked to the fiver towing.

Now a "Full load of fuel" in both tanks is 125 gallons or so. So this trip was one fill up. Last years trip was a bit longer (1,600 miles) thus required two fuelings.

Now another varible was this year I had the fresh water tank full as I planned on a few days without being at a campground. So that is around 80 more gallons of water than I had last year. Last year I had maybe 20 gallons of water on board. This year the 110 gallon water tank was full.

So instead of the 23,000 pounds I scaled last year, I scaled almost 24,000 pounds this year.

The rig/combo is the one in my sig.

That's the facts Jack!
Old 05-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #3

Thanks For sharing... :-D

https://www.wsdot.wa.gov/traffic/passes/white/ not far from home...
Frankenstien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 06:50 PM   #4
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Hey Don, it has been my experience that wind affects my mileage much more than speed. If I am facing a strong headwind my mileage really suffers conversely if I have a good tail wind I really realize better mileage. I usually vary my highway speeds from 60 to 70 MPH depending on the conditions.
Old 06-01-2008, 05:11 AM   #5

Don,

I am new to the forum and apologize for not knowing how to contact you with a private message. I tried but to no avail. I am interesting in doing some wiring changes. Our fifth wheel is prewired for a generator, but we do not have one. I have purchased portable generators that I would like to leave in the truck bed. Our electric plug in is at the very rear of the trailer. Can I work the wiring so they could plug in at the spot where the generator would normally go, that way I could run a short cord from the truck to the generator compartment. Seems like it would be much better than running 50 foot of line. Thanks,
Ted

Silverado D/A diesel 2500
Prin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2008, 07:12 AM   #6
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ted I ran 10/2 romex from my on board circuit breaker box to an outdoor jucntion box that I installed close to the kingpin box. I wired 6ft of 10/2 flexible wire to the junction box and installed the 30A locking plug that was supplied with the generator on the flexible wire. I keep it rolled up under the pin box when not connected to the genset.

I wired the romex to a new breaker I installed in the rigs breaker box. I leave the breaker in the off position when not plugged into the genset to prevent a HOT genset plug when the rig is hooked to shore power.