Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2014, 06:57 AM   #15

It sounds like somebody needs to get or print a copy of the towing guide and sit down with Dad and figure out the actual loads involved.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2014, 08:36 AM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It sounds like somebody needs to get or print a copy of the towing guide and sit down with Dad and figure out the actual loads involved.
The towing guide won't help. It will only confirm what Dad thinks he knows. The towing guide includes the truck manufacturer's "tow rating" of the tow vehicle, but ignores the payload capability of the tow vehicle.

For example, the towing guide for my pickup says the tow rating is 8,400 pounds max trailer weight. But my pickup is overloaded over the GVWR of the pickup with my TT that grosses only 4,870 pounds. My previous pickup had a fifth-wheel tow rating of 13,000 pounds, but it was overloaded over the GVWR of the pickup with my 5er that grossed only 8,000 pounds.

The towing guide includes the word "maximum", but very few people consider what that word means. It means that provided there is nothing in the truck but a skinny driver so without the trailer it weighs no more than (GCWR minus tow rating), and the hitch weight is the minimum safe percentage of trailer weight (10% for TTs and 15% for 5ers), then the truck can tow a trailer that weighs up to the weight of the tow rating without being overloaded. But it's a very rare rig that can meet those conditions. TTs average about 12.5% tongue weight, not 10%. 5ers average 17.5%, not 15 percent. And any pickup wet and loaded for a towing will weigh a lot more than (GCWR - tow rating).

So you shouldn't recommend newbees rely on the towing guide unless you also caution them to read the fine print which states: "Never exceed the GVWR or GAWRs of the tow vehicle.)
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 08:42 AM   #17

I've seen these posts a million times. Nobody's going to convince Dad. He's going to get a 1/2 ton and learn the hard way. We're all just wasting our breath.....
Old 07-23-2014, 07:38 AM   #18

If you look at that Ford 2012 towing guide it spells out why it will not work. Assume (I know) the others are the same. All one has to do is look at the conditions spelled out.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote