Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #1
Moderator Emeritus

My F-150 EcoBoost is amazing

2012 F-150 SuperCrew Lariat EcoBoost with OEM integrated trailer brake controller (ITBC) and 52,000 miles, including about half of those miles towing a trailer of some sort.

It will safely tow and haul (and stop) a lot more weight than the specs state, without being the slowpoke holding up traffic and withouit overheating the engine or tranny.

I recently had to haul an old John Deere 310A backhoe to my step-son's place near Blanco. About 300 miles, including about 100 miles through the Hill Country. I tried to rent a dually or bigger truck with a gooseneck hitch, but no luck. I tried to rent a lighter gooseneck equipment trailer than the 40" gooseneck dually I had available, but no luck. (Renters tend to overload the lighter equipment trailers and tear them up, so the trailer rent places won't rent them.) So I bought a Reese "The Goose" gooseneck hitch that plugs into my Reese 5er-hitch bedrails, and loaded the backhoe on that trailer, and towed it with my F-150.

Long story short, we made it, no problems. We were loaded heavy, so I kept a close eye on the tranny temp and coolant temp. I pumped the tires up to 50 PSI. I have a Lariat Plus with an OEM digital tranny temp gauge. It never showed over 212°, and about 225° is the red line. The coolant gauge is an "idiot gauge" that doesn't show actual temps, but it never showed over "normal". I checked truck and trailer tire temps with a lazer temp gauge, and it never showed over 115° tire temp on the pickup or dually trailer, and was usually under 100° with 85° or less ambient temps.

We lucked into a nice cool day for hauling the backhoe, with clouds and misting rain and ambient temps never over 85° F. So that helped the engine and tranny coolers keep the engine and tranny cool enough.

I saw a CAT scale while loaded so I weighed the rig. I went to a truck stop with a CAT scale after I unloaded the backhoe and weighed it again to see how much the backhoe weighed. And earlier I had weighed the wet and loaded pickup with no trailer, so I knew it weighed 6,040 without a trailer.

Axle … with U/L trailer… with loaded trailer… Difference…Rating
Front …… 3300 ……………………… 3380 ……………….… 80 ……..… 3600
Rear ….… 4520 ……………………… 5080 ……………….. 560 ……….. 3850
GVW …… 7820 ……………………….8460 ……………….. 640 ……….. 7100
Trailer … 6480 ………………………19,040 ………… 12,560 …….. 20,000
GCW …..14,300 ……………………27,500 ………… 13,200 ……… 14,000
MPG ………….. 9.8 …………………………..6.0
Hitch .......1,780...................2,420.............. ....640
Hitch % ... 27.5 .....................11,3

So the backhoe weighed 13,200 pounds. That's heavier than I would have guessed.

I'm really proud of my little F-150 that made that trip with no issues except awful MPG.

Because GVWR of the pickup was the primary limiter, I loaded the 13,200 pound backhoe so it added only 640 pounds hitch weight to the GVW of the truck. The F-150 looked good when loaded - the front end was not sticking up in the air, and the rear end was not dragging the ground. Ride and handling were great. We cruised at about 65 MPH most of the way.

Tow/haul mode worked great. With my 3.15 rear axle ratio, engine RPM got up near 5,000 a few times when it downshifted into second when climbing one of the hill-country hills at 60 MPH. But since the red line on that engine is 6,500 RPM, there was no cause for concern.

I left the tranny in drive with tow/haul mode all the way. It usually cruised in 5th and often downshifted into 4th. It only upshifted into 6th when going down hill. Compared to the 4R100 tranny in my 1999.5 F-250 diesel, that 6-speed tranny is a marvel.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2015, 03:25 PM   #2

Pickups will take a lot more than the numbers would indicate. We used to farm and I used to regularly put 21,000 pounds of live hogs in a double deck gooseneck and run it from Delaware to the New Holland sale in Pennsylvania. Lots of steep hills and we were using a 3/4T 4WD Ford PU. We didn't speed, tailgate, or drive heavily traveled roads (3AM) but the truck was well maintained and pulled the load just fine. I know about the legal aspects but the safety issues were minimal and the truck handled it just fine. It did get a bit sporty getting up the hills when the snow got to 6" or so. This was a bi-weekly run for us.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 04:44 PM   #3

I would not drive 50 feet with the light weight on the truck. I would rather drag the rear bumper then not load the rear wheels.
Ever tried to steer a tractor when the plows are up.
The truck rear wheels become the steering wheels on a trailer and better have weight to guide it.
Old 05-07-2015, 07:52 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I would not drive 50 feet with the light weight on the truck.
So you don't think 2,420 pounds of hitch weight is enough for a trailer that grosses 21,460 pounds? I thought is was just about perfect given the other conditions of the wet and loaded rig.

BTW, there was a typo in the unloaded trailer hitch weight. It was 20.6%, not 27.5.
Old 05-08-2015, 01:35 AM   #5

Right the truck os way to light and hitch weight will balance the weight so the light truck will work for me.
Seen to many tractors on trailers off the ramps caused by this. It works on straight road but come to a sharp curve like a ramp or wet road and the heavy trailer guides the truck.
Happened to me with my neighbors trailer pulled of the highway on a soft shoulder and the trailer drove the trailer amd truck in the ditch. A bumpy ride and blew a front tire. I had to steer the truck straight not to ruin the truck with the heavy trailer. No more light tongue for me its 20% or no go.
Old 05-09-2015, 11:11 AM   #6

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Congrats Smokey,
You were able to tow several thousand over the truck rating with a very light tongue at highway speeds through hill country. Those 3.15 diff gears are not exactly tow gears and could make life shorter for the trans.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:33 PM   #7

I wouldn't call 13500lbs over GCWR "a few" over ratings. That's entering "Holy sh*t!" territory.

But, since I've been known to put boots to ground and use it like a truck- ratings be damned- glad to see it handled that weight as well as it did! Really surprised at the results with the 3.15s. I'd be a hypocrite if I played the GVWR card
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 03:43 PM   #8

I've seen some crazy combinations hauled around here but I think you might have everything I've seen beat. I can only imagine what some people were saying seeing you go by.
C130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 05:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by C130 View Post
I've seen some crazy combinations hauled around here but I think you might have everything I've seen beat. I can only imagine what some people were saying seeing you go by.

The rig didn't look overloaded. The pickup was not sagging in the rear end and was relatively level front to rear. The gooseneck trailer was also relatively level front to rear. A backhoe is a light load compared to what a lot of folks in the oil patch tow with a pickup. Plenty of power to accelerate with traffic from a stop, and quicker than a lot of 18-wheelers. No problem pulling the hills in the Hill Country without dropping below 60 MPH. So only the very observant that noticed the badge on the side of the pickup might suspect I was overloaded.
Old 05-16-2015, 11:31 PM   #10

Outdoors RV Owners Club
All it would have taken is a a bad situation and that big tail would have wagged the dog. It's possible that in Calif a CHP might have ruined your day.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2015, 08:15 AM   #11

Sounds like one heck of a rig.
RVM #104
Dasmoeturhead is offline   Reply With Quote