Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-31-2019, 04:28 AM   #1

My test drive, in a nutshell 2020 F-250 Diesel

Yesterday I test drove a 2020 Ford F-250 6.7 powerstroke XLT FX4 package. The payload was 3,528 lbs. Sticker price was 61k

I was blown away by how smooth and quiet this truck drove. Ford lightened the steering and did something to the suspension to smooth out the ride. This truck is ultra refined, at idle (600 RPM) the new diesel engine has virtually no vibration. Ford worked hard reducing NHV. (Noise, Harshness, Vibration)

I test drove the much improved 2020 GM 2500, the 2019 Ram 2500 both gas and a 2019 F-250 diesel. I drive my very good driving 2017 F-250 6.2 daily. I thought I liked my truck until I drove new GM truck. But driving the ultra smooth 2020 Ford diesel blew me away.

Oh, on the Ford diesel it is kinda easy to break the rear tires loose. I saw a dyno test and that showed 950ft lbs of torque going to the ground.

I am patiently waiting to test drive the 7.3 10 speed Ford SuperDuty.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-31-2019, 06:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
Yesterday I test drove a 2020 Ford F-250 6.7 powerstroke XLT FX4 package. The payload was 3,528 lbs. Sticker price was 61k

I was blown away by how smooth and quiet this truck drove. Ford lightened the steering and did something to the suspension to smooth out the ride. This truck is ultra refined, at idle (600 RPM) the new diesel engine has virtually no vibration. Ford worked hard reducing NHV. (Noise, Harshness, Vibration)

I test drove the much improved 2020 GM 2500, the 2019 Ram 2500 both gas and a 2019 F-250 diesel. I drive my very good driving 2017 F-250 6.2 daily. I thought I liked my truck until I drove new GM truck. But driving the ultra smooth 2020 Ford diesel blew me away.

Oh, on the Ford diesel it is kinda easy to break the rear tires loose. I saw a dyno test and that showed 950ft lbs of torque going to the ground.

I am patiently waiting to test drive the 7.3 10 speed Ford SuperDuty.
Probably very nice new but I'm not crazy about wiggly, wobbly unsafe steering and front suspension so I'll stick with a reliable,comfy, independant front suspension from GM. Death wobble is not for me, experienced it once on an old Jeep, very scary.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:02 AM   #3

The GM trucks are also very good riding but I just wonder what Ford did to improve the ride on their 2020.

What is more amazing to me where did all the noise, harshness and vibration go in these trucks?

Ford's new very powerful diesel engine with a lot of different parts is refined, smooth and quiet.

Anyone looking for a new 2020 truck now has the best trucks on the planet to choose from.
Old 12-31-2019, 08:44 AM   #4

Quote:
The GM trucks are also very good riding but I just wonder what Ford did to improve the ride on their 2020.

What is more amazing to me where did all the noise, harshness and vibration go in these trucks?

Ford's new very powerful diesel engine with a lot of different parts is refined, smooth and quiet.

Anyone looking for a new 2020 truck now has the best trucks on the planet to choose from.
Yes, newer diesels are nearly as quiet as gas engines. Improvements in the injection systems from mechanical to electronic multi pulse injection has taken away the Big Bang in the older mechanical single pulse injectors.
Even in 2011 the Rams were already very quiet, test drove one while on a work trip, could not believe how much quieter than our 2001 it was.
Rhagfo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:57 AM   #5

We've been moving, and I've been towing trailers every day with my 17 year old 7.3 F250 with a tuner. I'm still amazed how strong my old generation truck is, and how they're happier towing really fast on the open road.

My only issue is that my rear tires are really wearing--while my front Michelins still have plenty of tread. I'm slow to rotate because the tires/wheels are just so heavy to manipulate.

I honestly am afraid to test drive one of the new model 3/4-1 ton trucks--thinking I'd pull one of my quick decisions to buy something. My wife already told me to buy a new Corvette if I wanted--but they're completely sold out for 2020. I'd probably kill myself in such a vehicle anyway. Some of us are really truck people anyway.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2020, 06:35 PM   #6

Quote:

Probably revised valving in the shocks. Im still waiting on ford and gm to go to an air ride system like dodge has. I think this would really improve the ride of these trucks. I really get tired of my pop going flat in a 10 mile trip and ending up all over the console. Things like shocks are easy to change in a production line because they can just call and tell the mfr what they want. Stuff thats made in house like frames and body panels cost them a bunch more to swap out.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2020, 05:12 AM   #7

TFL just posted Dyno runs of both the 2019 and 2020 6.7 diesel engines. The Dyno runs were done by 5 Star Tuning. The 2020 was able to put more power to the ground, 470HP and 970 torque.

If you guys get a chance, go test drive the 2020. I would be interested is what others think.
Old 01-03-2020, 05:49 PM   #8

If the dyno showed that much power, Ford under rated the engine, it had been modified or the dyno was under sea level producing ~50 ft-lbs more. Get the Ford.

The Chevys look hideous. Not just the front end with the dual bumper look. The tailgate looks lame too. I saw one today. The whole exterior style looks like crap. The RAMs and Fords look sharp.
Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 06:27 PM   #9

TFL Trucks will have testing posted Jan 21 or 22. TFL really improved there testing with the 5 Star connection. They are going to do 2019 Ford's vs the 2020 Ford's testing.

I am interested in the 7.3 gas vs the 6.2 gas a bit more than the diesels but just by small amount as the diesel testing will be interesting also. They are going to test MPG as well as towing.

If Ford trufully rated the engine it will be a great truck to tow with. Hot Shot drivers (Danger Industries, and Work and Play) will be good testers also.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtn. Lion View Post
If the dyno showed that much power, Ford under rated the engine, it had been modified or the dyno was under sea level producing ~50 ft-lbs more. Get the Ford.

The Chevys look hideous. Not just the front end with the dual bumper look. The tailgate looks lame too. I saw one today. The whole exterior style looks like crap. The RAMs and Fords look sharp.
I'm a GM guy and even I agree this revised "styling" is pretty ugly,especially certain models and levels of trim.

The GM 3500 seems more "stomachable" than its Chevy counterpart. I'm still waiting to see how quick they revise the styling. If sales drop off due to it I wouldn't be surprised new grilles,tailights and maybe even body panels get replaced.

Some 1500 models are just...AWFUL. Looks like they took the worst styling cues Ford,RAM and even Toyota had to offer and mixed it up in a blender.
kdauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 07:38 PM   #11

The GMC 2500/3500 trucks look good. I saw a GMC 2500 TX4 (or whatever they call their off road truck) and it looked real good. I think it looked better than Ford or Ram.

I bet the GMC will sell a lot of trucks.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:01 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdauto View Post
I'm a GM guy and even I agree this revised "styling" is pretty ugly,especially certain models and levels of trim.

The GM 3500 seems more "stomachable" than its Chevy counterpart. I'm still waiting to see how quick they revise the styling. If sales drop off due to it I wouldn't be surprised new grilles,tailights and maybe even body panels get replaced.

Some 1500 models are just...AWFUL. Looks like they took the worst styling cues Ford,RAM and even Toyota had to offer and mixed it up in a blender.

I wondered if the design got the OK from management based on politics. I haven't heard anyone say they like the new look and that leads me to question how they signed off on it.

But, it is a Chevy and it does have good numbers. GM is competing at the functional level.

It seems pretty hard to nail looks and function. My old 2005 2500 HD 4X4 with the 8.1L 496CI big block and Allison nailed both. I wish I still had it.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:02 PM   #13
JDT

Just got this 2020 Tuesday. 6.7 diesel. I drove it home from the dealer trying to find some rough roads, which around here is easy to do. No bump steer and a much smoother and controlled ride that I did not expect. The next day I changed the stock shocks to a set of Fox 2.0 and now it is even better. The 10 speed transmission is very smooth, almost like driving the wife's Subaru with the CVT. The seat of the pants feel on the power seems quite a bit better than my previous 17 F350 dually.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0155 (1).jpg
Views:	87
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	271312   Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0156.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	271313  

Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_0157.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	271314  
JDT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:07 PM   #14

Quote:
TFL Trucks will have testing posted Jan 21 or 22. TFL really improved there testing with the 5 Star connection. They are going to do 2019 Ford's vs the 2020 Ford's testing.

I am interested in the 7.3 gas vs the 6.2 gas a bit more than the diesels but just by small amount as the diesel testing will be interesting also. They are going to test MPG as well as towing.

If Ford trufully rated the engine it will be a great truck to tow with. Hot Shot drivers (Danger Industries, and Work and Play) will be good testers also.

The Godzilla engine is exciting. I'd love to have one or at least ride on one at WOT.

GM (at least Corvettes and Camaros) put their engines through an industry standard output test to end the under/over rating of HP/TQ output and eliminate large variances in output for the same engine. I don't know if Ford does that.

Tags
diesel, test