Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2016, 02:01 PM   #1

My WDH Observations. Husky vs. Equal-i-zer vs. Blue Ox

I thought I'd share my observations after using all three of these hitches this year.

My setup:
  • 2012 F150 Crew 1588 lbs payload.
  • 2013 Jayco 26BH scaled at 6200 lbs, 720 lbs tongue weight.

Husky Centerline (not TS):
  • This hitch is extremely heavy making it hard to even install in the receiver.
  • Install was pretty standard.
  • It controlled tongue weight nicely.
  • It was moderately noisy.
  • Adjustments are somewhat difficult requiring loosening of the frame brackets.
  • It was just OK at controlling sway. There was always a little wiggle as I drove in a straight line no matter how I adjusted it.
  • I would not buy this hitch again.

Equal-i-zer:
  • Nice light weight.
  • This hitch is noisy! No amount of grease would solve it. I never did try the pads for the saddles though.
  • It controlled sway very well.
  • Install was standard.
  • Adjustments are difficult requiring disassembly of the hitch head and trailer disconnection.
  • I hated the exposed grease where the bars swivel in the head.
  • It always felt like the friction from the bars was trying to hold the trailer in whatever position it was in rather than trying to centre the trailer. I didn't like this because it made steering corrections somewhat unnatural.
  • I would consider buying this hitch again.

Blue Ox Sway Pro (new style) :
  • Very easy installation.
  • Very easy hook up.
  • Very easy adjustments. Simply use a new chain link on the bars.
  • Looks like the best made unit of the bunch.
  • Has a great powdercoat finish.
  • Has the nicest towing feel. Every movement felt softer, dampened.
  • Controls sway well. The Equal-i-zer was slightly better.
  • The supplied wrench for the swivel brackets is too short. I'll be using my own breaker bar and socket.
  • Hitch is almost entirely silent.
  • So far this is my favourite hitch.

Feel free to ask me any questions.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2016, 02:13 PM   #2

My WDH Observations. Husky vs. Equal-i-zer vs. Blue Ox

That's interesting as my equal-I-zer isn't loud at all with the grease. But it is frickin heavy!

There are many adjustments you can make when initially setting it up but once that's done you never have to touch it again.

Old 07-02-2016, 02:24 PM   #3

Outdoors RV Owners Club
About the Equal-I-Zer, did you apply grease per the instructions in the owners manual, or did you "wing it" with where to apply the grease?

Properly greased, my Equal-I-Zer hitch is silent unless I am making a fairly sharp horizontal angle change in road surfaces, like with some driveways or a suddenly steep sloped street from a flat one, but even then it's not something I call troubling.
Old 07-02-2016, 03:59 PM   #4

The grease was applied as per the manual. I disassembled everything for cleaning first and then greased. This cut the initial noise in half. It sounded like the rest of the (still very loud) noise was caused by the bars rubbing in the frame brackets and those should not be greased.
Old 07-02-2016, 04:21 PM   #5

I grease the L brackets. No noise and no adverse affect on sway control. It also seems to track better.
Is it possible when you set it up that you have too much tension on the bars? Maybe need one less washer?
It is a pain to setup properly as you have to remove the hitch head. On a new trailer I spend a ton of time setting it up over several trips but then it's dialed in perfectly and tows great.
I did have sway once when first setting up my first trailer and that truck. I made an adjustment to the setup and haven't had sway since. Even with the lube on the L brackets and in worse traffic conditions.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:02 PM   #6

With the Equal-i-zer I already did not like having exposed grease. I'd rather deal with the noise than add any more as the noise wasn't the only deciding factor.

Both the Equal-i-zer and Husky hitches were noisy because the use very similar L brackets and friction control. Both had exposed grease. The Equal-i-zer had more exposed grease and was louder. The Blue Ox is a different design that contains the grease (it has grease zerks) and is almost silent because it uses chains and swivel brackets rather than L brackets.

I've always spent a lot of effort setting up my hitches. We tow across the windy prairies and hitch/unhitch often. It makes sense to spend the time to have a good, safe tow setup.

Your experience may be different than mine but due to some bad luck (stolen hitch) I was able to compare all three of these hitches back to back on lengthy trips this spring.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:35 PM   #7

What's the issue with exposed grease? I don't understand.

I was in the market for a new hitch for our new trailer. I have an equal-i-zer and ended up getting another one. However I did look long and hard at the blue ox as these 2 seem to be the best you can get under $600.
Old 07-02-2016, 05:38 PM   #8

I have a 5 year old boy.
Old 07-02-2016, 07:20 PM   #9

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Well, this topic is starting to take a strange turn.
Old 07-02-2016, 08:00 PM   #10

I used to just spray a little WD40 or PBS blaster on the L brackets before installing the bars... always quiet after that and not near as messy as grease.
chertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:33 PM   #11

Anyone who recommends greasing or spraying or anything else should contact Equal-I-Zer and ask them for their advice. They don't recommend it. Yes I have talked to them. There is some noise from the brackets but as they wear in it lessens. Who cares about a little noise? The brackets with chains don't control sway as well because they let the ends of the bars swing around. Simple physics.
I take my hitch apart frequently and clean and grease all items that need it then reassemble. Hitch head adjustments are not difficult. Climbing Everest is difficult, some disassembly to adjust a hitch head is simple and straight forward.
Old 07-11-2016, 12:04 AM   #12

I hated using my EQ with 4pt sway. I always greased the sockets and NEVER the L brackets. After a long tow at the end of the day the EQ was so noisy I'd get people in the CG turning their heads to see what the ruckus was as I rolled thru the CG.
I'd NEVER own an EQ again.
Best hitch I ever used besides the Hensley Arrow was the Anderson. No grease, completely silent and very light.
Old 07-11-2016, 07:29 AM   #13

Good report. I enjoy how simple, clean, quiet, and effective my old style Blue Ox is.

Tags
blue ox