RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-15-2019, 07:39 AM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37driver View Post
My current truck is a 1997 F-350 7.3 DRW automatic..... The truck pulls the load OK but it's a slug and I'm afraid the transmission is going to take a dump if I continue to pull this amount of weight.
If you like you tow vehicle, then the tranny is no problem. Before it goes south, take it to BTS = E4OD | 4R100 | 5R110 Ford Diesel Powerstroke Transmissions in the Ozarks. Not cheap, but he can build you a bullet-proof tranny that will last "forever" when working hard. Or if you don't want to take the truck to him, he can send you a rebuilt tranny built to your specs

Quote:
From what I can figure I'm also over the GCWR by 960lbs and over the max trailer weight for the truck by 3600 lbs.
That's why you think it's a slug. A huge help would be a towing tune. I had a DP-Tuner towing tune in my '99.5. It added enough HP and torque that the tranny no longer downshifted for every little rise in the road.
https://dp-tuner.com/ford-powerstroke-tuning/94-97-7-3l

On the DP-Tuner website, check out the F5 chip and the 60 HP towing tune.
Then call them and discuss what you need to safely increase the power of your engine without reducing the longevity or reliability of the engine.

Ford diesel fans hang out on www.thedieselstop.com. Check out the '94-'97 forums. https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f6/

Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196-S, and my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2019, 08:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post

Ford diesel fans hang out on www.thedieselstop.com. Check out the '94-'97 forums. https://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/f6/

I remember when Jason had the Ford-Diesel domain and you were a mod over there back then! Glad to see you're still sharing all your knowledge and experience!

xrcris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 08:51 AM   #17

[QUOTE=tuffr2;4910.

That is a very nice, well built, and rare travel trailer.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, we looked for a long while to find it. It's basically a bumper pull fifth wheel.
37driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 09:56 AM   #18
laj

Need a new truck, my 97 F-350 is overloaded.

if it were me, and i thought i needed/wanted a newer p/u i would keep what i had, and get what i thought i wanted. that way you still have a great rig to go back to when you get fed up with the new one. as others have said, you have a great platform to build off of now. i have a 97, a little different than yours, and i would trade it for 2 new ones straight across. i would have no issues hooking up to your trailer with it and heading on a 4 month trip across country and up to alaska. no emission crap, no def, egr, when i had my 97 7.3 the only issue i had since the injectors are activated by oil pressure was the oil would foam and cause a issue. changed oil brands and no more problems. you want more piwer thatís no problem out of a 7.3
laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:22 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrcris View Post
I remember when Jason had the Ford-Diesel domain and you were a mod over there back then!
Yeah, I was an active moderator on Ford-Diesel.com when Jason first converted from a bulletin board to a website about 1999. Ford later forced a name change. Jason chose TheDieselStop.com as the new domain name and I continued to be active until around 2011. Then I downsized to an F-150 EcoBoost and small TT and was no longer active on TheDieselStop. But the owners to which Jason sold the domain let me keep the moderator privileges, so I sneak back over there periodically.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 01:39 PM   #20

I am going to go look at a 1997 F-250/350 because I must be mistaken about it. I thought it had a very noisy clicky clacky engine. Also I want to know how steers and if it has any rattles.

When I drove my friends 7.3 F-250 across the hay field it did not seem to be road worthy. Plus it really did not have much power.

Again, maybe I am mistaken.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2019, 05:32 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I am going to go look at a 1997 F-250/350 because I must be mistaken about it. I thought it had a very noisy clicky clacky engine. Also I want to know how steers and if it has any rattles.

When I drove my friends 7.3 F-250 across the hay field it did not seem to be road worthy. Plus it really did not have much power.

My neighbor bought one new in '99. You could hear that truck idling 4 houses away. I'd call it loud.

O.P.
Prices on OBS trucks like yours with the "bulletproof, coveted, made of gold" 7.3l are pretty good right now if the truck isn't beat. Might not be a bad time to sell.

As for the 6.2 not being that great, they have increased the power of it over the years so maybe just a tune could wake it up, not sure.
Old 08-15-2019, 09:36 PM   #22

Quote:

You arent mistaken, thats what makes them great. How many motorcycles has harley davidson sold built on 2 wheeled tractor technology? I looooove the way my hd shakes at a stop, and the old one shook even more. I used to love firing up our one old c13. It would fire on a couple cylinders until it started getting warm. Its hard to explain, but the jeep guys have their saying about having to explain it.
Jshopes81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 01:30 AM   #23

I find the distinctive rattle of the 7.3 tends to grow on a person pretty quiickly. My wife has even come to associate the sound with great memories of past trips in our toyhauler and eager anticipation of our next one. The sound of it idling in the driveway usually means that our next adventure is just around the corner.

I did spend a fair amount of time and effort on soundproofing the cab of our van based rig but the results were pretty significant.
5spd97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 05:57 AM   #24

Now the big 3 are making quiet diesel engines. They even advertise the quiet diesel engine...even Ram and the Cummins engine is advertising that it is quieter.

That engine sounds like it is ready to fall apart. Like everything in it is loose.

My friends rusty F-250 7.3 diesel had holes rusted in the bed and the frame rusted through. He did weld it back together. This truck was in Pa. and was used rough. It was used to plow snow is what probably broke the rusted frame.

I would think that most of these trucks in the northern tier of states would have that same rust problem.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:07 AM   #25

Youre right on the rust part. Its about the same as any other truck from the 90s. Some people had theirs undercoated or didnt drive them in the winter.

I dont get the quiet thing. I have to turn the dodge and the ford both off at drive throughs because i cant hear the workers. Its been a few years since ive had a 6.7psd, i cant remember if i had to turn those off or not. I guess theyre quieter than they used to be, but the cummins is not quiet. Not as of 2017 anyway.
Old 08-16-2019, 06:46 AM   #26

Agree the Cummins was still the least quiet engine. In the 2020 MY Cummins will switch to a Compacted Graphite Iron block. Yada yada yada - stronger yet lighter.

I guess this will make the engine more quiet.

For MY 2020 Ford is also advertising a quieter gen3 6.7 Powerstroke.

When driving long distance I like a quiet engine so I can listen to the radio. Actually I like less tire noise and wind noise also.
Old 08-16-2019, 10:33 AM   #27

Quote:
Agree the Cummins was still the least quiet engine. In the 2020 MY Cummins will switch to a Compacted Graphite Iron block. Yada yada yada - stronger yet lighter.

When driving long distance I like a quiet engine so I can listen to the radio. Actually I like less tire noise and wind noise also.
Well our 2001 Ram would wake the dead when started cold, new to use 2016 is very quiet.
Rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2019, 11:56 AM   #28

Quote:

I like motor sounds but i hate a mud tire on the highway and wind noise. That crap makes for a long day. My hd sits at 3000rpm at 75 and its music to my ears. I get no wind noise because of an aerodynamic full face helmet.