Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-21-2014, 07:58 AM   #1

Need a Truck recommendation please

Can someone please recommend a truck to pull a 33 ft. 7,600 lb. TT with a 925 lb. hitch weight? We're getting a 2014 Keystone Outback 298RE and we're not sure if a 2500 or F150 would do it.

Thanks guys!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2014, 08:31 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
An F150, or 1/2 ton, is not going to be anywhere close enough to handling that big a trailer. a 2500, F250, or 3/4 ton, is going to be the minimum that you will want to pull this trailer. Personally, I find that the empty ride difference between a 3/4 ton and a full 1 ton is negligible and I would go with the 1 ton just for added security in towing.

If you are looking at diesel engines, go with the Ram pickup as the Cummins diesel is the easiest and least expensive of the big 3 to work on. Ideally it would be the 5.9 engine, you will get the best torque and highest fuel economy of all the diesels.

If you are looking at a gasoline engine then go wih the biggest one available from your choice of the big 3.

I hope this helps you with your decision making

Russ

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 01:30 PM   #3

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Look at the truck towing specs that all truck manufacturers have and pick a truck that will handle the trailer. Do not take personal opinions, get the facts. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
Old 06-21-2014, 01:53 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
Look at the truck towing specs that all truck manufacturers have and pick a truck that will handle the trailer. Do not take personal opinions, get the facts. You are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle.
X2 look at the truck specs.

There are F150s out there than can handle this but not all.

Also remember all things being equal the longer the wheel base of the truck the smoother the ride and more stable.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:09 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lori Meyer View Post
Can someone please recommend a truck to pull a 33 ft. 7,600 lb. TT with a 925 lb. hitch weight? We're getting a 2014 Keystone Outback 298RE and we're not sure if a 2500 or F150 would do it.

Thanks guys!
You are reading dry weights, first. You need to plan for the heaviest you will tow, because you will load a lot of stuff.
Dry weight is 7605. Carrying capacity is 1395. That is a maximum weight rating of 9000 lbs
The hitch weight is probably dry too.

Most people agree that, with an F150 w/Eco Boost and Max Trailer Tow Package (which is rated for 11500), they don't feel comfortable above 8000 or 9000 lbs. So you're on the edge.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:10 PM   #6

Look at the F150 ecoboosts. Much higher towing capacities than you'd think from a half-ton.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:12 PM   #7

GMC 2500HD w/Duramax!
Old 06-22-2014, 12:11 AM   #8

Retired Fire Service RVer's
An F150 EcoBoost with trailer towing package AND the Max Payload option would probably tow that trailer okay. BUT, it's unlikely from what I've heard that you would find that combo with the Payload package in stock at your Ford dealer.

I'm also a newbie at this, but have spent a lot of time here, and also using Ford's online build/price feature. What I was surprised to find out was that a pretty much standard F250 had a much better "real" towing capacity than a highly optioned factory order F150...for just a few hundred more dollars for the 250.

Once I listened to a bunch of experienced folks here, my decision is to buy an F250 and not worry whether or not I had a safe towing vehicle. And, our goal for a trailer is something a bit shorter/lighter than what you are considering.

Good luck and happy camping.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:37 AM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
F250!

Eventually you're going to want a bigger trailer and/or more stuff.

3/4 ton.
Old 06-22-2014, 12:56 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddypaws View Post
Eventually you're going to want a bigger trailer and/or more stuff.

3/4 ton.

And quicker than you think

I would go ahead and get the 350 or 3500 as there is only a few hundred dollars difference in price !!!
Old 06-22-2014, 01:27 PM   #11

The big question is how do you plan on using the truck when your not towing and how often do you plan on towing. I don't do any heavy towing with the exception of stuff at work and we have a F450 and International Durastar for the heavy stuff (17000 LBS). The funny thing is the F450 out pulls the International Durastar by far. But if your looking at a F150 I think it will be easily over loaded with to much rear axle weight once your all packed up and ready to go. The 9.75 rear axle is a robust axle but still has limitations. Unless your looking for a full time travel trailer and plan on a lot of long trips, I would consider a F250 or F350 under 10K GVW with the 6.2L gasser. This engine is a strong tower for a gas engine and when you get it under that GVW it is rated with higher HP and TQ than the version with a higher than 10K GVW. I have talked to a lot of customers over the past few years that tow with a 6.2L Superduty and they all say the same. It tows very well with no issues. Very stable and plenty of power. But not diesel power but still does very well.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #12

I've heard of that different power rating for the over/under 10K GVWR, but can't fathom why Ford would set up the 6.2 that way? Guess I need to do more research...

Always assumed the two GVW ratings were for tax and/or licensing purposes in some states...but the power ratings?

Cheers! Bill
Old 06-22-2014, 10:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeabeckS View Post
I've heard of that different power rating for the over/under 10K GVWR, but can't fathom why Ford would set up the 6.2 that way? Guess I need to do more research...

Always assumed the two GVW ratings were for tax and/or licensing purposes in some states...but the power ratings?

Cheers! Bill
It is for the intended purpose of a truck that is rated for a heavier job. More power = more heat and energy. The reduced power calibration still allows for all the work that it needs to do while allowing the engine to work hard for years to come. GM does the same with their larger trucks with the diesel and gasser and Ram also does the same.
Old 06-22-2014, 10:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamesrxx951 View Post
It is for the intended purpose of a truck that is rated for a heavier job. More power = more heat and energy. The reduced power calibration still allows for all the work that it needs to do while allowing the engine to work hard for years to come. GM does the same with their larger trucks with the diesel and gasser and Ram also does the same.
Very interesting! A point I'd never thought about...obviously!

And just found the numbers: under 10K, 405 ft-lbs/385bhp; over 10K, 397 ft-lbs/316bhp. Wow! Guess I now know why to spec the under 10K option for a new 250...

Thanks.