Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-04-2011, 11:26 PM   #43

Wow... Lot of good info.

Well the Dodge fell through. By the time the dealer would have repaired the tranny (they wanted to drop a new one in for $3k), the bank would not finance the truck because of the year (2006) and mileage (158k). Weirdness.

So the sales guy is trying to find me exactly what I need and also what I can live with.

I have always been a Ford man. I love Ford. I never have any problems with the three Ford trucks I owned. I had owned two Chevy's and a GMC prior to my Fords and every one of them had alternator problems, especially the Suburban.

I have always said to friends that if you look at the road and what's on it, you will see Chevy and Ford because they last. Dodge, though a great truck, falls apart after 5-7 years. I don't see many (if any) Dodges on the highway that are over 10 years old. It's always Chevy and Ford, with a tad of Toyota.

But Dodge I can live with, even if the body falls off and the thing rattles. My old Chevy Caprice did, and I never cared about the rattle.

I would love to buy a Ford. Honestly. But I am terrified that the 6.0 or 6.4 engine will be a big pile of "WTH?" after I buy it.

I would buy a Chevy, but I am afraid of the alternator problem biting me in the backside and my wife asking me "But didn't you say they had problems?" every day of my life thereafter. But hey, if the Chevy can pull what I plan to tow then why not? Right?

Every Dodge I look at I think this - I like it, it looks nice and is a decent truck, but the whole time I am wishing it was a Ford with a Cummings engine.

If they just had a F350 SRW with a Cummings. Man... What a truck.

With our trade in we can effectively spend $22k on this truck, maybe even 23 to 24. I would like to save some room for warranty and/or TTL, etc... You know... I usually only drop $500 at the dealer when I buy (at most) because I prefer to have the deal all together without extra money needing to be tossed around. I'm not a millionaire. If I was, I'd probably have a new Dodge 3500 4x4 etc etc, LOL.

So, from limbo, I remain patiently waiting for the right deal to come along and I keep gathering info from you find folks and formulating what I should buy.

PS: I'm fixed on the Jay Flight, but 26-28' is workable. I think these are fine TT and I love the idea of the 86-90 gal of fresh water. I'm also thinking that maybe a 5th wheel wouldn't be too bad as the plan is to take the trailer up, live in it while we build the house, and then... who knows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:53 AM   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brembo View Post
I'm also thinking that maybe a 5th wheel wouldn't be too bad as the plan is to take the trailer up, live in it while we build the house, and then... who knows.
I prefer a 5er, but a comparable size is heavier and will have a lot more hitch weight, so requires a truck with more GVWR to tow them.

When discussing a TT, I wrote: "So assuming the 26BH, what do we need to tow it with? 7,500 pounds loaded trailer weight with 12 percent hitch weight = 900 pounds hitch weight."

Sticking with Jayco, their smallest 5er comparable to the Jay Flight TT is the Jayco Eagle model 313RKS. Wonderful RV, but it has a GVWR of 14,000 pounds and will have a wet and loaded hitch weight of at least 17 percent, or 2,400 pounds. But because the dry hitch weight is 22 percent of the dry trailer weight, you'd better count on closer to 20 percent hitch weight when wet and loaded for the road, or 2,800 pounds. That's a lot more than the 900 pounds hitch weight of the shorter Jay Flight TT.

Assuming a 2005-up Ford diesel CrewCab 4x4 tow vehicle, one with single rear wheels (SRW) will weigh about 8,500 before you tie onto the trailer. That's loaded with driver, one passenger, tank full of diesel, toolbox full of tools and jacks and extra fluids, and 5er hitch, but no additional payload in the back seat or bed.

The 8,500 truck plus 14,000 trailer = 22,500 combined weight. The GCWR of the 2005-up Ford SRW diesel is 23,500, so it will meet the requirements for towing capacity, even if you add another 1,000 pounds in the back seat and bed of the truck.

Add 2,400 pounds hitch weight to the 8,500 truck weight and that's 10,900 minimum GVWR needed to handle the hitch weight if the hitch weight is 17 percent. Add 2,800 pounds hitch weight and that's 11,300 minimum GVWR needed to handle the hitch weight if the hitch is 20 percent. F-250 is out of the question because it has only 10,000 GVWR. F-350 SRW has 11,500 GVWR, so it will barely meet the requirements for hauling capacity - provided your hitch weight is not more than 20 percent and you don't haul any additional weight in the bed or back seats.

But if you're moving to Alaska, then you'll probably need to have the back seat and bed as well as the trailer loaded to the gills. So if it were I making that trip with that trailer, I'd want a dually tow vehicle to be sure I wouldn't be overloaded. The 2005-up F-350 DRW has the same GCWR as the SRWs, but it has 1,500 pounds more GVWR. It weighs almost 500 pounds more than the SRW, so it has net of about 1,000 pounds additional hauling capacity. And I'll bet that even with the DRW, when you weigh the wet and loaded rig on the road to Alaska you'll be right up against the GVWR of the dually.

Because you plan to live in the trailer for a while, the bigger 5er with two slides would be a lot more roomy than the smaller TT with no slides. It will also cost considerably more than the TT. So with that additional cost of the trailer and the need for a dually pickup to tow it, is the extra comfort of the bigger 5er worth the extra cost and hastle of getting it to Alaska? It would be for me, but I'm not the one paying the money to purchase the rig.

Or if you're not stuck on the Jayco brand, maybe look for a smaller 5er of a different brand, with a GVWR of closer to 10,000 pounds. Then the 2005-up SRW pickup would be able to handle the hitch weight with no problem. For example, I had a Keystone Sprint for about 10 years that we really enjoyed. We drug it all over the USA, probably close to 100,000 miles. The current comparable RV would be a Keystone Sprint Cooper Canyon. Their model 270FWRET has one big slide and a GVWR of 10,150 pounds. It probably has about 1,750 pounds wet and loaded hitch weight. It would probably overload an F-250, but should be fine with an F-350 SRW tow vehicle.
Keystone Copper Canyon | Floorplans

Old 12-05-2011, 10:48 AM   #45
CD

Brembo
Don't get hung up on brand A having one problem, brand B having another problem, etc. All brands have problems at times. The trick is to find out what problem each is prone for and what years. I have had 2 Dodges with the Cummins. The 91 had almost 200K on it when I sold it(what I had the most problem with was the gear splitter that was after market and that was wireing). The 01 I have now has 90K and so far very little problems. When you find something you like, tell us and see what feed back you get.

'01 3500 Ram QC HO 6sp. BD Exhaust Brake
CD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 11:19 AM   #46

Good advice, CD.

I wish there was a manual that told me "Ford between 04-07, Dodge 03-06, Chevy 05-08 are the good ones". It's a lot to try to absorb so much and formulate an idea. I like them all and the info has been extremely helpful. Such as why glow plugs would not be great in AK. I know next to nothing about these motors, so that info was HUGE. Does Duramax use glowplugs? Which Duramax is a better one? Wasn't it in 2006-2007 that the DPF was put in, so going pre 07 is a good idea right?

You guys are great. I truly appreciate the help.

In spite of the issues, I find myself still looking at the F250/350 and wishing it had the Cummings. LOL.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:19 PM   #47

Quote:
Good advice, CD.

I wish there was a manual that told me "Ford between 04-07, Dodge 03-06, Chevy 05-08 are the good ones". It's a lot to try to absorb so much and formulate an idea. I like them all and the info has been extremely helpful. Such as why glow plugs would not be great in AK. I know next to nothing about these motors, so that info was HUGE. Does Duramax use glowplugs? Which Duramax is a better one? Wasn't it in 2006-2007 that the DPF was put in, so going pre 07 is a good idea right?

In spite of the issues, I find myself still looking at the F250/350 and wishing it had the Cummings. LOL.
I wish my F-350 had the Cummins too. As I said earlier stay away from the Ford 6.4 motors 2008 - 2010. Nothing but bad news there.

The late 2003 - 2008 6.0 have their EGR and oil cooler problems but can be fixed and a lot of them were. 2005 - 2007 are the best years and if the P Owner deleted the EGR, put in a new oil cooler and changed the gold coolant to CAT coolant you will be fine.

The 1999 - early 2003 7.3 motors were awesome so if you can find one with low millage in good shape that may be the way to go. I just saw one on Ebay with 92,000 miles going for $10,500. Good luck.
Old 12-05-2011, 04:42 PM   #48

Well today my wife threw a monkey wrench at me by suggesting that we simply buy a house in AK and haul our stuff up there. While I agree this would be cheaper, it would also take half the adventure out. sadfaced...

I still think I should get a Diesel.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:07 PM   #49

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
You wont find a better truck than the 97 f350 with 28k miles I posted the link on http://www.2lcustomtrucks.com/preown...ail.cfm?iid=76. It has the best diesel engine made for a pickup. You should get at least 250k trouble free miles out of it. He needs to move it and am sure he will make you a good deal.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #50

I found a better one. I have a '99 F350 crew cab dually with a banks kit with 35,000 on it. And I'm keeping it.
Old 12-05-2011, 07:17 PM   #51

But your right, that one is a good deal. Someone offered me $7500 just for the powerstroke I have in my 99 E-350. Only has 26,000 but it is derated because Ford didn't have room to put a CAC on them.
Old 12-05-2011, 08:57 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering1 View Post
You wont find a better truck than the 97 f350 with 28k miles I posted the link on 2L CUSTOM TRUCKS - Pre-Owned. It has the best diesel engine made for a pickup. You should get at least 250k trouble free miles out of it. He needs to move it and am sure he will make you a good deal.

Oh believe me, I saw that and loved it. It's just not 4WD.

What a beautiful truck though. Man, Ford makes one gorgeous truck!
Old 12-05-2011, 09:07 PM   #53

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
What do you need a 4x4 for. Definitely not needed for a 5th wheel.
Old 12-06-2011, 06:50 AM   #54

Alaska.

From friends who grew up there and/or lived there all their lives - 'Make sure you get a 4x4, or you're going to wish you had'.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:59 AM   #55

Quote:
Good advice, CD.

On RV.net there is an account of a person from Tennessee that purchased an Arctic Fox truck camper from a dealer in Idaho and put it on a Dodge Cummins truck. On the long way home he operated the truck in temps as low as -24F with no issues. Very cold temps might have been an issue some years ago but most of the modern diesels run just fine.
Old 12-06-2011, 12:17 PM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmtandem View Post
On RV.net there is an account of a person from Tennessee that purchased an Arctic Fox truck camper from a dealer in Idaho and put it on a Dodge Cummins truck. On the long way home he operated the truck in temps as low as -24F with no issues. Very cold temps might have been an issue some years ago but most of the modern diesels run just fine.
How modern?

Such as, 2005 and up?

My wife's father raved about Cummings, and I would love to get one, but as pointed out elsewhere Dodge doesn't seem to have the best package around that motor. For instance, I was joking around with a friend this morning who told me that his 2010 Dodge had to be serviced for the rear fender falling off. Astonishing. Even more to learn that it was an "oops" from Dodge and the fender (which had come off on the highway) had not been fully secured. Dodge blames the dealership, the dealership blames Dodge. Either way, you gotta wonder what they're doing that they don't noticed the bolts holding the fender on are plastic and not metal. I didn't ask to many details. I just told him, "Yep... Great engine. So-so bodywork". It's what I hear from nearly all Dodge owners. Well not my dad. He loves his 2010 5.7 Hemi 2500 4x4. But he's a marine and they can take anything, or so I've been told all my life... lol

Ever since I looked at that first Ford, I've had this guy there sending me links to inventory with updates. Well he might have gotten my attention today. He's got two Fords.

2008 F150 4x4, 73k miles, 5.4 Gas, Black with tan interior, 4 door. With everything I need to tow a trailer full of what we plan on taking (since it seems the TT idea has gone out the window (thank you honey, :( )) and then some. very nice condition

2007 F250 4x4 6.0 Diesel, Dark Red, with most of what I need. I forget the mileage, but it's under 120k. good condition.

Both the same price.

There are not too many Dodge's laying around here that fit within my criteria without having something out of whack such as high mileage or 2 doors... etc.

What a journey.