Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2013, 01:21 AM   #1

Need advise!

I am considering buying a 40' park type TT and I don't travel a lot but, sometimes I do like to take it on 3 or 4 day trips, my question is even though it is a park model and I always stay at RV Parker so, I don't need holding tanks and my truck that I would be towing it with is a dodge 1-ton dually would any of this be a problem for me, in traveling, plus TT has new tires.
Sacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2013, 01:42 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacowboy View Post
I am considering buying a 40' park type TT and I don't travel a lot but, sometimes I do like to take it on 3 or 4 day trips, my question is even though it is a park model and I always stay at RV Parker so, I don't need holding tanks and my truck that I would be towing it with is a dodge 1-ton dually would any of this be a problem for me, in traveling, plus TT has new tires.
How can you travel and stay at a park without holding tanks?
Mossy cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 01:49 AM   #3

I stay at RV parks they have all hook-ups!
Sacowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:09 AM   #4

so this trailer was not originally designed as a travel trailer, which requires holding tanks ... but was just some kind of single wide park "trailer" ... ??? or have the tanks been removed? or what ... ???

~~~

"Wise men still seek Him..."
Kathryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 04:38 AM   #5

I presume the park model has electric brakes and all of the other roadworthy components and the tongue & tow wt is OK for your dually and you will comply with the GCWR wt for your truck.

How wide is the park model. Some are 14'. I believe in some jurisdictions the road width limit is 8' 6", without it being oversized (not 100% certain of this) but this does not mean you cannot travel with an oversized load but some restrictions usually apply.

Good luck with this venture, I think it wil be challenging but please let us know how you make out if you really do this.

We all have seen these units in transit, but usually with a tow veh larger than a 1 Ton I think.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #6

I'm surprised more people haven't heard of "park model" trailers.
If it is truly a park model travel trailer, it should have brakes and lights OEM, I hope. Even with new tires, take it slow and easy. With proper hitch of course, I think you'll be ok.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 05:18 PM   #7

Jesilvas

I suspect MOST people, especially Rvers, know what a park model trailer is and have seen hundreds of them in RV Parks notwithstanding the two posts about the tanks etc. They work fine just connected to sewer, water and power.

I am also certain most know what what the OP wants to do might work, but getting a 40' unit to the park and setting it up for level operation might be more than one would want to undertake for a 3-4 day stay,

In addition to owning an RV for about 50 years, I owned a park model many years ago (12'×38' with an extension the same size). I would not have trusted the brakes or any moving parts without a good inspection after it sat for years. I asked the OP if the unit had brakes, I should have said "working" brakes. That is really what I meant. Most Park models come off the factory floor roadworthy, but after sitting for a long time this may no longer be the case.

From what I have seen, most newer Park models are more than 8' 6" wide but some older models were 8'6" and had slides. (Have never seen a 40' X 8'6" Park model but perhaps they exist)

I believe special permits are required in most jurisdictions to tow anything wider than 8'6". And the tongue and tow wt of a 40ft unit might challenge the limits of a1 ton truck. BTW, in FL, I had to have a currect license on the park model, even though it was never on the road.

I also owned a modular home in FL that was licensed as a trailer and I had to keep the plates current also. (If I recall correctly, each side of the unit, each being 14' X 52', had a license plate, and they were bolted together so assembled it was 28' wide, ) and these units did not have any moving type undercarriage, brakes, lights etc. The units were hauled and assembled together on site by special movers. I could never figure why they had to be registered with the DMV and plated. They were certainly not vehicles IMHO but it is revenue. Perhaps that is the answer.

I suspect the OP Person will need to check the Park Model dimensions and weight components per road road rules, and then look at the towing parameters of his 1 Ton truck vs the trailer load and go from there.

Again I believe anything over 8'6" requires a special road permit in most places. Perhaps it even requires a special operator license also depending on overall weight. (Don't know for certain on this.)

To the OP, good luck, please report back on how you make out with this adventure if you decide to go ahead with the plan.

Your findings will be interesting. And if you move the unit as proposed, a report on how it went would be more interesting.
Libero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 PM   #8

I have seen 'park models' that weigh 9,000 to 11,000 lbs. like a Jayco Bungalow, or Fourwinds Retreat. These trailers are 39' or 40' long. These particular trailers could be towed by a 1ton dually from 1 park to another close park. I do not believe these trailers are desiged for continual travel. Thus the term 'Park Model' and the term 'Travel Trailer'.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote