Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #1

My son has a 1997 Expedition with 5.4L V-8. They are suddenly interested in taking the 5 kids camping this summer and I am trying to do a little hand holding in RV selection. The driver door data plate has only the GVWR and axle ratings. Does anyone know the GCVWR for this vintage of Expedition? Anyother useful towing information or how to find it. I have drawn a blank all afternoon googling. They are considering a popup @ about 3800 GVWR. Thanks, Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-31-2005, 04:09 PM   #2

My son has a 1997 Expedition with 5.4L V-8. They are suddenly interested in taking the 5 kids camping this summer and I am trying to do a little hand holding in RV selection. The driver door data plate has only the GVWR and axle ratings. Does anyone know the GCVWR for this vintage of Expedition? Anyother useful towing information or how to find it. I have drawn a blank all afternoon googling. They are considering a popup @ about 3800 GVWR. Thanks, Bill

Old 03-31-2005, 08:36 PM   #3

RVsafety.com says 1997 with 5.4 is 8000 lbs for 2 wd and 7900 lbs for 4 wd. No mention about axle ratio. But that is probably with 1 person aboard and otherwise empty and stripped.
Old 04-01-2005, 05:10 AM   #4

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">RVsafety.com </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Thanks Calvin. I have that site bookmarked but failed to look there. I'm still looking for a GCVWR if anyone knows a source. With the size of his family and all their "stuff" combined wt will be a factor. I was surprised that it isn't posted on the door as with my newer truck. Regards, Bill
Old 04-01-2005, 07:42 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Moby bill, this may help.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/exp...eatures/specs/
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 08:26 AM   #6

That would be:

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/exp...eatures/specs/

for the Expedition. But I'm not sure of the changes made between the 97 and 05. The 05 has independent rear suspension. I have an "98" with the towing package. When I get home I'll have to look in the owners manual.

That RVsafety.com is a great resource. Mine has the 3.73 gears rated at 7900 lbs. And 17" wheels, not the 16" mentioned as Item (k).

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 09:02 AM   #7

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Location: Klamath Falls, Oregon (The right side of the Cascades and home of Crater Lake)
Oops! I did read Explorer for Expedition; I'll blame it on bifocals . It seems though that even with the kids and gear it will be well within the GVCW towing the pop-up. Another consideration would be the use of a weight distribution hitch. The weights would be the same but equally distributed on the axels. I would also suggest a little weight & balance drill before the first outing. Weigh each person and get at least an approximate weight of the gear. Then take the loaded car(full tank[if you can afford it]) to a scale for an accurate weight. That will give a good GCVW window for selection of a camper. Oh! One last thing. This is all about safety not the capacity of the vehicle. You want to be sure the vehicle will handle properly and stop safely when needed.
Hoverbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2005, 12:20 PM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">One last thing. This is all about safety not the capacity of the vehicle. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yup. Thats exactly why I'm trying to get enough info to give reliable advice. Those are my grand kids that will be in that rig and I want it done right. Thanks for the link. I had the 2005 data but it I suspect it is a lot different vehicle than the 1997. I know it can easily handle a pop up, but I anticipate them looking for something bigger and nicer as they shop and I want to throw out the anchor if they start to go too heavy. Thanks Bill
Old 04-01-2005, 01:07 PM   #9

I didn't even think to mention that last year my wife drove the Expedition towing our 1987 Prowler Lynx 24'. I have a Reese weight distributing hitch and dual cam sway control system. She only had the dogs with her because I was driving the motorhome (kids wanted their own place at Wildwood.)

The rig towed great. Straight and smooth since I was in the position to watch. My wife was VERY pleased with the way it handled.

1992 HR Imperial, "87" Prowler Lynx, "88" Coleman Williamsburg.
RedHR35CSXS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #10

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Moby Bill:
My son has a 1997 Expedition with 5.4L V-8. They are suddenly interested in taking the 5 kids camping this summer and I am trying to do a little hand holding in RV selection. The driver door data plate has only the GVWR and axle ratings. Does anyone know the GCVWR for this vintage of Expedition? Anyother useful towing information or how to find it. I have drawn a blank all afternoon googling. They are considering a popup @ about 3800 GVWR. Thanks, Bill </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends on the rear gearing and tire size.

But either way this should be well under the combined rating with the 5.4. I believe that the 97 were similar to my 99. The ratings on mine I believe are from 12K to 13.5 (3.31 Rear end to 3.73 with 16 inch tires) The GVWR also takes into account 4X4 or 4X2. Either way the ratings are from 6400 to 7900.

Hope it helps. Like I said these are the '99 ratings that I believe are the same as the 97.

Bill Christoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2005, 05:31 PM   #11

Thanks to all. They have in fact now settled on a pop up that is well within their tow ratings. I suspect there will be a new tow before there is a new trailer. Administrator: feel free to delete this thread unless you think is useful to others. Bill