Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2014, 06:20 AM   #1

Nor'easters Club
Need help locating a drop hitch please

I ordered a drop hitch from e-trailer.com over a week ago. After not receiving tracking information I called them and they told me it is on backorder from Curt until mid July. By that time I will already have gone on 3 camping trips. They offered me a similar one from Reese for almost double the price. Im not paying $160 when the one I ordered was $85. I have a drop hitch for my trailer now, but its just about an inch too low. It tows great, but puts a little more strain on the front axle of the trailer than I like.

So here is what I need, I would like to hear if anyone has PN C17124 Curt WD shank. Or if they can give me advice of where I can buy one.

If I cant find that part, I need one that is 13 inches from the top of the shank to the center of the bottom bolt hole.

Thanks in advance

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2014, 08:03 AM   #2

Amazon.com: Curt Manufacturing 17124 Adj Hitch Bar 11 In X 8 3/4 In No Rise: Automotive

Old 05-16-2014, 08:29 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Most RV dealers stock assorted Drop Hitches,, There is a REESE adjustable you can find at some Department stores (Wal*Mart?), U-Haul "Hitch World" stores should have them in stock too.. Depending on how deep the drop.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:35 AM   #4

Nor'easters Club
Funny you mentioned that one. I actually just ordered it from there. Thanks for the speedy reply.
Old 05-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #5

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Most RV dealers stock assorted Drop Hitches,, There is a REESE adjustable you can find at some Department stores (Wal*Mart?), U-Haul "Hitch World" stores should have them in stock too.. Depending on how deep the drop.
Thanks for the input, I tried most of those places before and they just dont stock (some cant even order) anything close to the drop I needed.
Old 05-17-2014, 09:31 AM   #6

If you have one thats too low you can get a ball with a 1 inch rise built in to the base. Had one for a goose neck mount in the bed of my truck.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:40 AM   #7

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beengood View Post
If you have one thats too low you can get a ball with a 1 inch rise built in to the base. Had one for a goose neck mount in the bed of my truck.
Thats a good idea, I might get that just to have a backup. Thanks
Old 05-20-2014, 09:26 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Have you ever thought about contacting places that would probably have drop hitches like a hitch shop or RV dealer or camping world?
Old 05-20-2014, 09:31 AM   #9

Nor'easters Club
yeah, I tried the RV shop around here and they were no help at all. They complained it would have to be ordered and very expensive.

Its no big deal, I dont need their help to set it up and all, just need the parts. Im sure camping world had it too, but I was ordering other stuff for the camper from amazon anyway so I figured why not. Free 2 day shipping on a 35 lb hitch was a nice plus.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:34 PM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
I took mine to a good welding shop, he cut out the old vertical, then custom made one to the exact length with better steel then added a gusset for extra strength. Less than a new one, after four trips to and from Texas to North Idaho, still working. gps
Old 05-21-2014, 05:16 PM   #11

Check out your nearest Farm and Fleet or Tractor Supply store.
Selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 06:45 AM   #12

Nor'easters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gpscotty View Post
I took mine to a good welding shop, he cut out the old vertical, then custom made one to the exact length with better steel then added a gusset for extra strength. Less than a new one, after four trips to and from Texas to North Idaho, still working. gps
Thats what I did for both my hitches. I had one for a 2 inch and one for a 2 5/16 ball. However neither of them would work with the WD hitch head, and their shop is slammed right now. Besides, he doesn't usually let me pay for them and I know he has a lot going on, didn't want to be a burden, it was only $85.

Got it all hooked up and torqued on Tuesday, all set for the camping season now.

Tags
cat, need help