Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-10-2015, 07:16 PM   #15

No, you're not the basher. See the p.s. Glad you like your F150. That's got to be some engine. As far as towing with a half ton, they obviously have a lot more capacity than several years ago. I have read many,many posts regarding half ton towing and there are always a few who look down their nose at anyone that doesn't have at least 3/4 ton diesel even if it might be 10-15 years old. I guess it's a macho thing! The whole point, of course is to tow safely. I think most of the responses will assist me in meeting that goal.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-10-2015, 10:10 PM   #16

I would say go with the payload listed on the door of the truck. That said, the pin weight of a close to 10,000 pound FW will be approaching 2,000 pounds. I am not one that would tow a FW with a 150. I have towed a TT with a 150 without an issues. It was a 8,000 pound load trailer and yes I was pushing my 1,700 pound payload, it towed real well. I think the TT will be great. I do tow with a 350 now which is a dream but the 150 did the job.

Old 03-11-2015, 02:03 PM   #17

I think we will be going with the TT. Went through the TT factory yesterday and was very satisfied with the Open Range construction. The weight that would be nearest the limit would we be the tongue weight of the receiver at 1150lbs. I think with a little care in loading the trailer I can stay within limits with no problem. Several years ago I pulled a 28 ft. TT with a 3/4 ton Avalance. Had a decent weight distributing hitch. It pulled easily but a few times out west a couple of pretty strong wind gusts got my attention. From what I have read about the ProPride hitch it offers much improvement.

Just out of curiosity when you were towing with the 150 do you remember if you had P tires or LT tires on it?
Old 03-11-2015, 07:52 PM   #18

If you experienced it once it will surely happen again. I vote for the 5th like the ones I towed for 24 years without any issues.
One thing to consider is not to go light on the hitch. If the rear axle and tires can hold it weight is your best friend.
I have toed for 24 years with loaded trucks from 1/4 tons to 3/4 tons and know the heavier 5th wheel is the best ride and safer unit to pull behind a loaded truck.
I get plenty of comments on my setup. But I know its safe and comfortable. Just like my 5600 lbs 5th wheel was with the 1/4 ton Ranger. I have fiends that tried to tow close to my weigh TTs with 1/2 tons and never had the comfort I had.
Old 03-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #19

JMO but you won' need LT tires when using the ProPride. It will take out any chance of sway. You won't feel the TT back there like you would with a conventional WDH. Less control is needed with the PP. That's why the Hensley Arrow video shows an older big sedan towing an large TT and doing emergency maneuvers. Try the P's 1st before spending the money on LT's. And D rated LT's are enough, no need for E's. You'll just ruin the ride with LT's. And chance are you drive without the TT way more.
Old 03-12-2015, 10:14 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
I... know the heavier 5th wheel is the best ride and safer unit to pull behind a loaded truck.
With a normal WD hitch for the TT, I'll agree. But with a ProPride hitch the TT pulls just as good as a 5er.

The problem with 5ers is the hitch weight is a minimum of about 17% of gross trailer weight, and many have 20% or more. That means a heavier-duty truck is required to tow a 5er if you don't want to overload the tow vehicle. And if your tow vehicle is a half-ton pickup, then you cannot tow any decent-size 5er without exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle - unless your pickup is one of the very rare F-150s with the heavy duty payload package. The only way to get an F-150 with the heavy duty payload package is to order it and wait 6 to 8 weeks or more for delivery. Dealers don't stock them because of low demand for the stiffer ride. GM and RAM do not make any half-ton pickup with enough GVWR to match the F-150 with the heavy duty payload package.

I tied onto my 25' 5er with one slide and GVWR of 7.900 pounds. The 5er was loaded to the GVWR of the trailer, or maybe a few pounds more, with gross trailer axle weight of 6,800 pounds. GVW on the two truck axles was 7,980. So my F-150 SuperCrew 4x2 would need GVWR of at least 8,000 pounds to not exceed the GVWR of the tow vehicle. I had 4,680 pounds on the rear axle, so your half-ton pickup would require more than 4,700 pounds rGAWR to not overload the axle. You probably won't find any with that much rGAWR.

And that 25' 5er is rare with GVWR of only 7,900 pounds. You won't find many 5ers with that little gross weight capacity that has the room and amminities you want in an RV trailer.

So do what I did. With a half-ton tow vehicle, get a TT and hook it up with a ProPride hitch.

But the GVWR of the tow vehicle will still limit the gross weight of the TT. My TT is a Sunline Nomad Joey 19.5' with GVWR of 5,600 pounds. Nice little TT for two old folks and a dog or two traveling around the country. On a long trip last year, my GVW was 7,200 pounds and my F-150's GVWR is only 7,100. So even that small trailer was all the trailer I could tow without being severely overloaded. I need the optional maximum towing package which would give me 500 pounds more GVWR, or the HD payload package that has 1,100 pounds more GVWR.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #21

Take it out in a heavy cross wind and then tell me the same thing.

To be safe, I would want a built in 25 to 30% buffer so in case I have take extraordinary actions, my passengers would be safe.

I drive a 1/2 ton and I agree with you, a 1/2 is more suited to a tt than a 5th..with some exceptions...
Old 03-12-2015, 03:06 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by grassy View Post
Take it out in a heavy cross wind and then tell me the same thing.
Been there, done that. I live in west Texas, where 30-to-50 MPH cross winds are common. Lots of experience dragging either a 5er or TT or cargo trailer in heavy cross winds. Born here, grew up here, went off to college and then spent over 32 years working in or for the USAF, then came back here when I retired.

I enjoyed my small 5er for 12 years and over 100,000 towing miles, but my three-quarter-ton pickup was overloaded with it when loaded for a long trip. My half-ton pickup was severely overloaded with it on a trip from Austin to Midland County to bring it home. So for me it's a TT with a ProPride hitch unless I upgrade to a heavier-duty tow vehicle.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:12 PM   #23

Then I stand corrected. Thinking about pulling a TT for the distances that we will be doing still gives me the willies so i bought a heavier truck.

Not sure if ever a solution to which is better ?

Methinks the floor plan the DW likes wins
Old 03-12-2015, 07:27 PM   #24

Wow, lots of opinions here.

Here's my 2 cents. P rated tires for truck just fine. I run mine at 44 psi when towing.

ST tires are design especially for towing trailers. Will hold more weight than same sized LT tires and have better properties when backing up.

They are designed to run no more than 65 mph. With big trailer you shouldn't be going faster than that anyhow.

1/2 ton trucks should do well towing 7500 lbs or less. That pretty much rules out most 5th wheels. Payload capacity rules most of them out as well. I love the Jayco 5th wheels but they are all to heavy for 1/2 ton trucks.

Good luck in your search.
Nighthawk 96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 09:01 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthawk 96 View Post
ST tires are design especially for towing trailers. Will hold more weight than same sized LT tires and have better properties when backing up.
There are many, many advantages of running a LT over a ST tire on a trailer. Yes, there are LT tires specifically designed for trailers.

I have absolutely no idea why ST tire are still used except that they are cheap for the manufacturer. Cheap for the manufacturer to do the minimum doesn't translate into good for the consumer. You can move up to a LT for minimal cost over what you would spend on a ST.

I know many that that is the first thing they do when they buy a new trailer..
Old 03-13-2015, 09:58 AM   #26

The problem with saying everyone should get LT tires for their trailer is that the majority of trailers sold are with either 14" or 15" tires. TT's outsell 5ers hands down.
The selection of LT tires with adequate load ratings are slim to none for 14" and just as tough in the 15" size. I have 15" tires on my 5er. I've never seen an LT tire that will give me the same load rating as my ST tires. The only one that comes close is the Goodyear Cargo26 and even it has a lower load rating and is 1" less in dia.

It's easy to say ST tires are junk and should be replaced with LT tires. But that only works if you have 16" tires.

The reason ST tires are still used is because no one makes an LT tire rated the same as an ST tire in 14" or 15".
As far as the 16" tire is concerned that's a different story. There's several manufactures that in fact do put LT tires on there units. But those are high end units. Cost is definitely the main factor why trailers with 16" tires still run ST. Michelin, Bridgestone and Goodyear make LT type trailer tires. Problem is they can put a Power King on for $376, but to go to the Michelin XPS rib it's $1048. Now jump to Goodyear G14 and your looking at upwards of $1200. May not seem like much when looking at $80,000 MSRP 5th wheels, but when talking about $25,000 MSRP TT's that come with 205/75/14 tires, you're now talking about a higher priced rim as well as a new suspension design to accommodate the extra room needed for the taller 235/85/16 tire.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:08 AM   #27

Point taken. I was thinking 16s. That really sucks.

I am surprised that none of the companies making LTs have looked at the TT market..

Then your only option would be a pressure / temperature monitoring system. I wish I had bought one when I was running a TT.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:18 AM   #28

Jayco Owners Club
We own an F150 Supercrew with a 5.4 litre engine and 3:73 axle. It's max payload is 1630lbs. I can't believe yours has a max payload of 2600. That's 3/4 ton max payload range. I agree you should triple check that yellow sticker on the door.

Also, our truck has a max towing of 9300lbs. I know the eco boost engines are rated higher, but our trailer is 7500lbs wet and I would hesitate to go any higher than maybe another 700lbs. I know people tow a fifth wheel with a 1/2 ton, I just can't imagine the truck handling the payload unless is some tiny 21 footer. (Which are actually pretty dang hard to find these days)

Good luck tho. We love our F150 and it saddens us to have to sell it to upgrade from our current trailer, but we want a fiver and we can't pull it with this truck.

Tags
5th wheel, need help