Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #1

Question Need help selecting TT or 5th wheel

My current new truck is a 2015 Ford F150 with the following specs: Lariat supercrew, ecoboost 3.5 engine, 4x4 with 5 1/2 ft. bed and max tow package. (HD cargo was and is not available with a 5 1/2 ft. bed). The numbers for the truck are as follows: empty weight (with very little fuel) 4822, max tongue weight 1150, GVWR 7488, max payload 2666, max listed loaded trailer weight 11500, GCWR 16900, front axle weight rating 3600, rear axle weight rating 3888. I am also considering changing from the OEM P rated tires to Michelin LTXm/s2 tires. Would rather not change but would if needed for safety.

The following two RV's are being considered:

1. Open Range Light LT274RLS Travel trailer with the following specs. Length 31' ,empty weight 6660 lbs., tongue weight 800 lbs.,GVWR 8643, max payload 1983 lbs., The hitch will be a ProPride.

2. Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RLS Fifth wheel with the following specs. Length 29' ,empty weight 7170 lbs., pin weight 1325 lbs, GVWR 9950, max payload 2780 lbs., Hitch will be a 16K reese with revolution pin box.

I have run the numbers thru a couple of different calculators but am not completely confident of the results.

I am looking for any facts/opinions on wheather either one or both of the above RV's could be safely towed with a newer F150 which has quite a bit higher tow ratings than the older models. I realize there are several threads generally relating to this topic and I have studied most of them, but most are relating to older vehicles and different weights. Also, not much discussion on type of tires needed for the TV. I am interested in any input and/or advice from those who have some personnel real world experience.

Thanks for any assistance.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-08-2015, 02:04 PM   #2

Welcom!! Whatever you do, change the tires!! Truck manufacturers install p or passenger car rated tires for ride comfort. I bet if you look at the sidewall for the load capacity of the tires it's less than the truck.
Floor plan!! If DW likes then go with it. I have found that a fiver tows much easier than a travel trailor, I haven't heard of any sway controll for a fiver. I would go as light as possible on whatever you choose

stink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 02:23 PM   #3

That's what I suspected regarding the tires. I guess one can reduce the tire pressure when not towing to improve the ride a little. Both of the floor plans are really good for us. We initially were looking at 5th wheel, but hate to give up the truck bed. Stumbled across the Open Road and found it to be pretty upscale compared to most others. The floor plan, as far as I can tell, is not offered by any other manufacturer. The opposing slides give it a pretty spacious feeling for a 30 footer.

Thanks for the input.
Old 03-08-2015, 05:25 PM   #4

I would also say, especially if you are hauling long distances, to pull the ST tires of and replace with LTs..a much better tire..
Old 03-08-2015, 07:23 PM   #5

For me, the numbers on the Jayco are just too close for comfort. 2666 Max payload, less hitch, additional cargo, passengers etc. Now take an almost 10K GVWR with possible pin of 2K or a little more and you're pushing the numbers.
2011 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LT Ext Cab 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, GY 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 08:21 AM   #6

Yes, the numbers on the Jayco FW are the ones that concern me the most. I think the Open Rang TT numbers are o.k. On the Jayco numbers the one that concerns me the most is the cargo carrying capacity. If I were able to add the HD cargo option to the truck it might be o.k. Unfortunatley that option is not available with the 5 1/2 foot bed. If I add a 6 1/2 foot bed the truck will not fit in the garage and that's not going to happen. It looks like the TT might be the one.

We are downsizing from a Beaver 40' diesel pusher and prior to that a 28' Sunnybrook TT. The Open Range floor plan seems ideal for us now. Two slides, pretty open concept, nice furniture and a fireplace option and all in a 31' length. Will be going through the factory this week and we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for input.
Old 03-09-2015, 08:23 AM   #7

It has been a dozen years since I pulled with a 1/2 ton and am not qualified to say if either of the units are OK to pull with a newer 1/2 ton. But given how close they are in numbers, I would go with the fiver every time, easier hook up and easier/safer towing. I can be more specific, recently rode with a friend moving a TT about 30 miles, even with what he considers a good W/D and sway control setup, the ride was terrible and I could feel the TT pushing and jerking his 3/4 ton diesel truck. I have over 25 yrs experience towing fivers, beginning with 1/2 ton trucks and never felt uncomfortable or unsafe towing. I can't imagine towing long distances with that TT setup. This past week we were chatting, I was talking about a trip to Oregon this summer and he stated his days of long trips were over. Guess I need to suggest a fiver to him. Thanks for asking the question.

The Revolution is an excellent solution for your 5.5 ft bed.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:44 AM   #8

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Compare the truck towing specs to the trailer weights you have. All the numbers you posted are not the truck towing specs. Make sure you have an adequate tow vehicle for the trailer, get the facts not personal opinions, you are legally responsible for having an adequate tow vehicle. 1/2 ton trucks are 1/2 ton trucks and are highly over rated for towing and controlling trailers.

2015 Ford F-150 | View Towing Specifications | Ford.com
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by beavergold View Post
My current new truck is a 2015 Ford F150 with the following specs: Lariat supercrew, ecoboost 3.5 engine, 4x4 with 5 1/2 ft. bed and max tow package...max tongue weight 1150, GVWR 7488, max payload 2666, max listed loaded trailer weight 11500, GCWR 16900, front axle weight rating 3600, rear axle weight rating 3888.
Ignore dry weights. Max tongue weight is because of the receiver weight limits. Replace the receiver with one that has more tongue weight capacity and you can tow a heavier TT. However, GVWR will be your limiter. Your wet and loaded truck without a cap will probably weigh about 6,200 pounds. That leaves 1,288 pounds for max hitch weight. That's a TT with GVWR of about 9,900 pounds or a very small low profile 5er of only 7,600 pounds.

So forgetabout the 5er if you don't want to be overloaded.

Quote:
I am also considering changing from the OEM P rated tires to Michelin LTXm/s2 tires. Would rather not change but would if needed for safety.
Nonsense. The stock P-series tires have plenty of weight capacity to handle the gross weight of the rig if you don't exceed the GVWR of the pickup by a huge amount. Pump the tires up to 44 PSI and you'll have more weight capacity than with LT tires with load range C.

Quote:
The following two RV's are being considered:

1. Open Range Light LT274RLS Travel trailer ...,GVWR 8643,
Perfect match for your tow vehicle. You need to stay below trailer GVWR of 9,900, and your trailer's GVWR is only 8643. Lots of wiggle room. The wet and loaded tongue weight should be about 13% of gross trailer weight, so not more than about 1,125 pounds, which is barely below your max of 1,150 without replacing the receiver.

CAUTION! Know your wet and loaded tongue weight. If it goes over 1,150 pounds, then replace the receiver with a receiver that has with at least 1,200 pounds tongue weight capacity with a WD hitch. Here's one:
Trailer Hitch for 2015 Ford F-150 - Draw-Tite 75910

Quote:
The hitch will be a ProPride.
That's the ticket. Don't believe anyone that says a 5er will tow better than a TT with a ProPride hitch. I've towed my TT with ProPride hitch thousands of miles, and I've towed my 5er over 100,000 miles, and the TT tows just as good as the 5er in all sorts of conditions. Granted, a 5er will tow better than a TT with a cheap hitch, but your ProPride is not a cheap hitch.

Quote:
2. Jayco Eagle HT 26.5 RLS Fifth wheel with the following specs. Length 29' ,empty weight 7170 lbs., pin weight 1325 lbs, GVWR 9950, max payload 2780 lbs., Hitch will be a 16K reese with revolution pin box.
Again. empty or dry weights are misleading = worse than useless. Use the GVWR of the trailer. That trailer has a dry pin weight over 18% of the dry gross weight, so assume the wet and loaded pin weight will be about 18% of GVWR or up to 1,791 pounds. Your max pin weight is only 1,288 pounds without being overloaded, so don't even think about trying to tow that 5er with your current tow vehicle.

Quote:
Also, not much discussion on type of tires needed for the TV. .
You have your fans of the stiff, hard riding LT tires in load range E, but any analysis of the numbers shows that the P-Series tires are all you need - provided you pump them up to the 44 PSI max on the sidewall of the tire. Your stock tires on a 2015 Lariat 4x4 are P275/65R18. When pumped up to 44 PSI, they have 2,355 pounds weight capacity, or a max of 4,710 pounds on the rear axle. Your rear GAWR is only 3,888, or a lot less than 4,710, so you don't need a heavier-duty tire that the stock tires if you don't overload your F-150.

Those claiming a squishy feeling from the loaded P-series tires have too sensitive a butt. Mine don't feel squishy at all - but I carefully pump them up to 44 PSI cold before hooking up the TT.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #10

1st off, Ford doesn't make a 7488 GVW truck. It's 7000lbs. That's the RAWR+FAWR added together. That's not how they're rated. 2nd, you won't get 2688lbs for payload. It's more like 2020lbs according to the Ford payload chart. And that's a base model. You need to look at your door sticker to see what it really is. You have lowered it with the Lariat package. Now figure who and what's going in the truck. Subtract that from the door payload cargo sticker and that's what you really have.

No way you'll ever be able to tow a 5th wheel with your configuration. Just not enough payload capability. Only if you can find one with a 1000lb pin weight will that work. But then why sacrifice comfort of a bigger TT for a cramped 5er just to tow 5er. Most 1/2 tons are really better suited for TT's. They have the ability to handle the tongue weights and still tow 6-7000lbs. Anything over 7000lbs and your getting close to 3/4 ton territory. 7000lbs+ gives you a tongue weight of 900-950lbs. That's only 200lbs under your receiver. You need to be carefull with the ProPride as it weighs close to 175lbs. Add your 800lb dry tongue weight to that and your at 975lbs. Now add a battery and propane @120lbs and your tongue weight is @1095lbs. Throw in some stuff in the front cargo hold of the TT and under the bed in the TT and there's another 150+lbs. That puts the tongue weight near 1250lbs. Over the receiver. Best on my knowledge no one makes a receiver with a higher rating than 1200lbs for the new F150. So you'll be very close on an after market one and more than likely over the stock receiver.

You really need to check the door sticker and get your truck weighed with who and what is going to be in it when you go camping.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:04 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
1st off, Ford doesn't make a 7488 GVW truck. It's 7000lbs. That's the RAWR+FAWR added together.
Good catch. You cannot add front and rear GAWR and get GVWR. Max GVWR on any 2015 F-150 without the HD Payload Pkg is 7,000 pounds.

Quote:
2nd, you won't get 2688lbs for payload. It's more like 2020lbs according to the Ford payload chart. .
Right. The max payload available on a 2015 F-150 SuperCrew 4x4 shorty is 2020 pounds.

I keep forgetting that the 2015 F-150 Order Guide now includes payload package selector charts. That's a new and useful addition to the Order Guide for folks considering buying or ordering a new F-150 tow vehicle. Of course, if you're buying a new F-150 off the lot, then go by the Federal Certification label in the driver's doorframe. That label includes GVWR and payload capacity of that exact F-150.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren
Your wet and loaded truck without a cap will probably weigh about 6,200 pounds. That leaves 1,288 pounds for max hitch weight. That's a TT with GVWR of about 9,900 pounds.
Those numbers relied on the 7,488 GVWR. With GVWR of only 7,000 pounds and a wet and loaded truck weight of 6,200 pounds, the max TT weight drops to only 6,154 max TT weight. That means your TT with GVWR of over 8,000 pounds is too much trailer for your F-150.

So weigh the wet and loaded F-150 and find out how much actual available payload you have left for tongue weight. Divide that available payload capacity by 0.13 to determine the max GVWR of any TT you want to consider. (Average tongue weight of a TT with GVWR around 7,000 pounds is about 13 percent, or 910 pounds. But that's average, and many TTs including mine have tongue weight closer to 15%.)
Old 03-10-2015, 08:38 AM   #12

Thanks to all who responded. Even the 1/2 ton basher! Some good info to consider in all of the responses. As expected, varied opinions and there are no absolutes. The numbers game is the one we have to play since we, like everyone else, won't have all actual weights until we already have the combination set up and ready to go. It's a guessing game and we hope to guess right based on as much good info as we can get. Happy camping!

P.s. for wandering1- It's unlikely that ALL the numbers for the truck are wrong. I used a combination of information from the same Ford truck towing guide that you referenced and additionally had numerous communications with Ford directly who were able to give me the numbers for my truck as it is configured.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. Even the 1/2 ton basher! Some good info to consider in all of the responses. As expected, varied opinions and there are no absolutes. The numbers game is the one we have to play since we, like everyone else, won't have all actual weights until we already have the combination set up and ready to go. It's a guessing game and we hope to guess right based on as much good info as we can get. Happy camping!

P.s. for wandering1- It's unlikely that ALL the numbers for the truck are wrong. I used a combination of information from the same Ford truck towing guide that you referenced and additionally had numerous communications with Ford directly who were able to give me the numbers for my truck as it is configured.
What's the trucks CCC number on the door jamb? That's the bottom line. Don't rely on speculation. Same with what ever trailer you buy. The actual weights will be posted on a sticker that's on the trailer.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:52 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Thanks to all who responded. Even the 1/2 ton basher!
Is that me? I'm not a half-ton basher. I love my half-ton F-150 Lariat SuperCrew EcoBoost, but it's overloaded with my 19.5' TT that has GVWR of 5,600 pounds and wet and loaded weight of only 4,870 pounds.

I'm a basher of overloaded tow vehicles, whether half-ton, one-ton dually, or two-ton medium duty trucks.

Tags
5th wheel, need help