Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by timetogo View Post
If you want to tow that trailer with the Toyota, research Hensley and Propride hitches. Get your money back on whatever the dealer put on. Its just not adequate. Good luck.

Ditto on what Timetogo says. I have a Ford F-350, crew cab, used to tow a 27' Travel Trailer. Had a Hensley Arrow hitch, ($2,500.00 rebuilt from Hensley) or $1,000.00 to $1,500.00 used and I would not tow another travel trailer without the Hensley. I can't personally speak to the Propride, which was an evolution of the Hensley, some say a good one, some not, but like I said, I can only speak about he Hensley from PERSONAL EXPERIENCE. Most of the people who speak poorly about the Hensley or Propride do so because of the price, and not because they have any personal knowledge of them. They're just talking out their . . . .well, they're releasing hot air! Anyway, totally eliminated any sway.

That being said, I still think you need a larger, more capable truck. The dealer that sold it to you did what he needed to do to get you out the door, and should be put out of business!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2015, 04:54 AM   #16

A 34' camping trailer does not even look right behind a little 1/2 ton truck. That is a big TT.

Try a fancy sway control hitch 1st. That might take enough sway out of your rig so you can drive without white knuckles.

The next time you take a trip in a car notice how slow 1/2 ton trucks are driving when towing a trailer. Just observe. Then notice 3/4 and 1 ton trucks towing trailers...again, just observe. Then notice dually trucks towing...my observations are such that as the truck gets bigger they can tow at faster speeds.

Just my observation.
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 06:59 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
A 34' camping trailer does not even look right behind a little 1/2 ton truck. That is a big TT.

Try a fancy sway control hitch 1st. That might take enough sway out of your rig so you can drive without white knuckles.

The next time you take a trip in a car notice how slow 1/2 ton trucks are driving when towing a trailer. Just observe. Then notice 3/4 and 1 ton trucks towing trailers...again, just observe. Then notice dually trucks towing...my observations are such that as the truck gets bigger they can tow at faster speeds.

Just my observation.
Totally agree. I can cruise in any lane at any speed with no concerns other than my tires (at speed).
But since I like to occasionally stir the conventional thought puddin'
Here is my hitch setup on a long wheelbase 3/4 ton diesel. The trailer is about 7 feet longer than the truck, but the truck is 1,000lbs heavier than the trailer:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_145519.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	301.5 KB
ID:	101742   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150719_145259.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	387.8 KB
ID:	101743  

TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDI-Minnie View Post
Here is my hitch setup on a long wheelbase 3/4 ton diesel.
That trailer has a lot more than 500 pounds tongue weight. So towing that trailer with a weight-carrying hitch is asking for a huge surprise when you encounter the wrong set of conditions when on the road. For example. a wet (slick) highway on a curve and hit a chuckhole while meeting a huge 18-wheeler at speed with a high cross wind all at the same time. That doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I'm glad I have my ProPride hitch hooked up to prevent the resulting sway.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2015, 11:51 AM   #19

Thor Owners Club
Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
Here is what happens with sway

I just got this video this morning in one of my news letters about trailer sway and what happens. below is the link to the video.
Mel

https://youtu.be/INyiMA3hfto or CLICK HERE
Old 08-01-2015, 01:15 PM   #20

Need help with swaying problems

Quote:

Just my observation.

This is not always true. I tow a 33 foot TT with a half ton, everything including payload is within specs, and with the Blue Ox I don't have sway problems. I DID have problems with the cheap friction setup the dealer sold me. I replaced it after 2 trips.

I just drove it today and had to watch myself from accidentally creeping up on 70mph. Rolling Texas Hillcountry terrain some wind, some interstate, some highway.

Additionally, towing faster is not everyone's goal. I prefer not to exceed my tire limits.
Old 08-01-2015, 01:59 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
That trailer has a lot more than 500 pounds tongue weight. So towing that trailer with a weight-carrying hitch is asking for a huge surprise when you encounter the wrong set of conditions when on the road. For example. a wet (slick) highway on a curve and hit a chuckhole while meeting a huge 18-wheeler at speed with a high cross wind all at the same time. That doesn't happen very often, but when it does, I'm glad I have my ProPride hitch hooked up to prevent the resulting sway.
Yeah, it's a little over 500lbs, but not a lot. I've towed this setup 15,000+ miles including one particularly interesting run through TX from Amarillo to Dallas on 287 last June where we had 30-40mph wind gusts from the SW hitting us broadside. Passing semis got interesting because they actually acted as wind blockers, but I never had an issue other than them maintaining their lane.
That was a long day in the saddle.
TDI-Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 06:36 AM   #22

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Been there, done that. You can use 100 wdh and sway bars and it will not solve your problem. You need a truck with a suspension system and wheel base that will control the trailer, at least a 3/4 ton. Good luck with the suicide rig, many others havent made it.
Old 08-02-2015, 07:31 AM   #23

Faster speeds

Quote:

Just my observation.
Yep, I have noticed that too, but I wonder how many of those people who go hauling down the road with a Travel Trailer with ST tires at speeds of 70, 75 and 80 mph realize that their ST tires are generally speed rated for a MAX speed of 65 mph! I'll bet when they blow a tire at 80 mph, they'll scream long and loud about those crummy tires!
Old 08-02-2015, 07:34 AM   #24

Quote:
Totally agree. I can cruise in any lane at any speed with no concerns other than my tires (at speed).
But since I like to occasionally stir the conventional thought puddin'
Here is my hitch setup on a long wheelbase 3/4 ton diesel. The trailer is about 7 feet longer than the truck, but the truck is 1,000lbs heavier than the trailer:

Just curious, do you have ST tires on your trailer, and if so, have you checked the max speed rating? I didn't realize the ST tires I had on my previous travel trailer were rated at a max of 65 mph. I researched it after I blew a tire on the freeway in Florida while traveling 70 mph.
Old 08-02-2015, 10:48 AM   #25

The OP can solve his payload problems in a "half ton" truck with a new generation Ford F150 with the heavy duty payload package, which can exceed 3000 pounds payload.

http://www.ford.com/trucks/f150/specifications/payload/

Even standard suspension F150s now have very high payloads; I'm considering an extended cab 2WD XLT which has a basic payload of 2280 pounds.

If sway is prevented in the first place (by proper setup, a suitable hitch, etc) then the supposed ability of a super duty truck to control sway in progress is not needed. If the tail never wags it can't wag the dog.
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #26

I am skeptical of a half ton truck, HD payload or not, being able to properly control that trailer. The HD payload F150 is still significantly lighter than the trailer even when at full GVWR and is still a shorter wheelbase truck. Common sense will play more of a role than fictional numbers. Big trailer= big truck.
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #27

Quote:
Yeah, it's a little over 500lbs, but not a lot. I've towed this setup 15,000+ miles including one particularly interesting run through TX from Amarillo to Dallas on 287 last June where we had 30-40mph wind gusts from the SW hitting us broadside. Passing semis got interesting because they actually acted as wind blockers, but I never had an issue other than them maintaining their lane.
That was a long day in the saddle.
The way that 2500 is squatting, I imagine it's a lot more than 500lbs. Have you taken a tongue weight? I'm not chastising- I'm curious
smurfsofwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 11:01 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by smurfsofwar View Post
I am skeptical of a half ton truck, HD payload or not, being able to properly control that trailer. The HD payload F150 is still significantly lighter than the trailer even when at full GVWR and is still a shorter wheelbase truck. Common sense will play more of a role than fictional numbers. Big trailer= big truck.
The numbers aren't fiction. IME much common sense is nonsense. If sway is prevented in the first place what advantage would a bigger truck provide?
Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help