Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-30-2015, 09:21 PM   #1

Need help with swaying problems

i own a 2012 toyota tundra crewmax 5.7 ltr pickup which i am told can tow up to 10,000 lbs.?? we bought a 2016 coleman 34' travel trailer that is suppose to be 7400 lbs. dry weight. The sticker in my door says 7000 GVWR with 18" tires but the truck was purchased with load D 20" tires.
Anyways, even pulling the trailer home empty for two hour trip, once I got to 50 mph or higher, the trailer would begin to sway and even felt like it was moving the truck. I have to hold tightly with both hands the entire time pulling it to control it and slow down when swaying. It doesnt look like much of a sway in the mirror, but you can feel it in the wheel. the trailer dealer set it up with a weight distributing hitch and weight dist bars along with a friction sway control bar. I took it back for them to check it loaded and they said trailer and truck were still level and only suggestion was maybe another sway control bar on the other side of the tongue. Said trailer was just so long is why i was getting sway. Question: do I need a different setup or do I need to upgrade to 3/4 - 1 ton truck? I dont want to buy a new truck if its not going to fix the problem. Please Help

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2015, 09:33 PM   #2

Sorry to say, you have WAY too much trailer for the truck. The issue is not trailer weight, but too much hitch weight and lack of weight and suspension in your truck.

But for now you need to work on the hitch setup and try to lower the ball height to offset the bigger wheels/tires. Also, max out the psi in your truck's rear tires.

You will need a 3/4 ton+ with a really good hitch setup if you want to keep that trailer.

Old 07-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnbsullivan View Post
i own a 2012 toyota tundra crewmax 5.7 ltr pickup which i am told can tow up to 10,000 lbs.?? we bought a 2016 coleman 34' travel trailer that is suppose to be 7400 lbs. dry weight. The sticker in my door says 7000 GVWR with 18" tires but the truck was purchased with load D 20" tires.
Anyways, even pulling the trailer home empty for two hour trip, once I got to 50 mph or higher, the trailer would begin to sway and even felt like it was moving the truck. I have to hold tightly with both hands the entire time pulling it to control it and slow down when swaying. It doesnt look like much of a sway in the mirror, but you can feel it in the wheel. the trailer dealer set it up with a weight distributing hitch and weight dist bars along with a friction sway control bar. I took it back for them to check it loaded and they said trailer and truck were still level and only suggestion was maybe another sway control bar on the other side of the tongue. Said trailer was just so long is why i was getting sway. Question: do I need a different setup or do I need to upgrade to 3/4 - 1 ton truck? I dont want to buy a new truck if its not going to fix the problem. Please Help

Don't believe what you were told until you call Toyota Tundra and ask them specifically.

I am assuming you have a 1/2 ton pulling a 34' 7400 lb trailer. Do you have the heavy duty towing package on the Tundra, extra leaf spring on back axles, heavy duty oil/tranny cooler, heavy duty tranny?

I had tried to pull a 5th wheel 26' with a 1/2 ton with the heavy duty tow package and I had lots of sway amongst other things. Bought a 3/4 with all tow packages and no problem anymore. Not saying you have to buy a bigger truck I did as I didn't like the slow crawl up hills.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:00 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Send a message via Skype™ to normandlegra
BJN... you don't have the proper setup at all ! You are a public danger to everyone !

You need at least a one ton dual rear or even more...
Old 07-31-2015, 01:09 AM   #5

You're kidding, right?
Old 07-31-2015, 04:08 AM   #6

Need help with swaying problems

Friction sway is not going to be enough for a 1/2 ton towing a 34ft TT. You need inline sway control such as a Blue Ox or Equalizer that does not use the friction sway bar. Sell the cheap friction sway setup on Craigslist and get a quality WDH.

Better yet, I would recommend a ProPride hitch for anyone towing at the limits of their vehicle, and trust me, you are.

Check the door of your truck and post up the payload limit please. It may be listed as payload or cargo capacity. If not, then post the curb weight and GVWR. Also please post the GCVWR. These should all be on the sticker of the door of your truck. I'll help y do the math if you'll post these values.

Your payload needs to accommodate all people and stuff in the truck plus the weight of the hitch plus 12% of the weight of the TT. If your tongue weight is less than 12% of the total TT weight this could account for the sway. You may need to go to a CAT scale to get your tongue weight right.

In all honesty I suspect you have too much TT and not enough truck but I'd need the numbers from your truck door to be sure.

I can tell you that your loaded and wet trailer's tongue weight would put me over the payload limit for my 2015 RAM 1500 5.7L.

I tow a 33 foot (total) TT with a dry weight of 6104 with a Blue Ox WDH. I would not go bigger and will definitely go 3/4 ton or more for our next truck. I'm within all my numbers, but I do get pushed by wind or passing semis and I feel a 3/4 ton would do a much better job keeping the tail from wagging the dog. I've got power all day long, it's the control that would improve with a 3/4.
Old 07-31-2015, 06:39 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by normandlegra View Post
BJN... you don't have the proper setup at all ! You are a public danger to everyone !

You need at least a one ton dual rear or even more...
Not helpful.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:27 AM   #8

I pull a 33' TT with my Tundra using a Reese DC hitch with no issues. My TT loaded averages 6800#. 34' of TT is too much for a single friction sway bar. Because the simple act of just doing 50 mph induces sway I believe you either don't have enough tongue weight or your hitch setup is off. As stated run tires at max sidewall PSI. Its one thing if trucks passing you or wind gust induce some sway but just doing 50 should not. Trailers should not sway on their own.
Old 07-31-2015, 07:39 AM   #9

Trailer sway is almost always from having too little hitch weight. With a trailer that long, I would want at least 13% of the total trailer weight on the coupler. You might run into overloading with that much weight on the ball and adding people plus items in the bed. You do the math.
Sway control devices can and do help, but the underlying problem still remains.
Old 07-31-2015, 08:11 AM   #10

One way or another, you need to correct the problem before you do any towing. Trailer sway should not be taken lightly. look at this https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=34&v=INyiMA3hfto

Joel
J Birder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 10:11 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjnbsullivan View Post
i own a 2012 toyota tundra crewmax 5.7 ltr pickup which i am told can tow up to 10,000 lbs.??
Your pickup can probably PULL 10,000 pounds, but it cannot HAUL the hitch weight of a TT that has 7400 pounds dry weight without exceeding the 7,000 pounds GVWR of your pickup.

Quote:
we bought a 2016 coleman 34' travel trailer that is suppose to be 7400 lbs. dry weight.
That trailer will probably gross around 9,000 pounds when wet and loaded for an RV trip. If your tongue weight is 1,150 pounds (a little over 12.5% of gross trailer weight), then the trailer weight is not causing the increased sway problem. But your pickup is probably overloaded over the 7,000 pounds GVWR of the pickup.

(My pickup with 7,000 pounds GVWR is overloaded with my small TT that weighs only 4,870 pounds on the road for an RV trip)

Quote:
The sticker in my door says 7000 GVWR with 18" tires but the truck was purchased with load D 20" tires.
That should not be a cause of sway, unless you don't have the rear tires pumped up to 65 PSI or more.

Quote:
the trailer dealer set it up with a weight distributing hitch and weight dist bars along with a friction sway control bar.
That's a cheap hitch. Get rid of it and replace it with a good sway control hitch. Good sway control hitches list for around $1000 and sell online for $500 to $650. There are 4 I recommend for your size trailer.

Reese Strait-Line
Husky Centerline
Blue Ox SwayPro
Equal-I-Zer

Or for over $2,000 you can buy a new ProPride hitch that will definitely eliminate sway under even adverse conditions.

(I have a ProPride on my TT and a Strait-Line on my 7x14 enclosed cargo trailer. I can't tell the difference under normal towing conditions. I bought the ProPride just in case I encounter a rare combination of conditions that can overcome the sway control of the Strait-Line. If you have ever experienced uncontrollable trailer sway, you'll pay a lot to be certain it never happens again.)

Quote:
. Question: do I need a different setup or do I need to upgrade to 3/4 - 1 ton truck?
If you don't want to be overloaded, then you need both.

Regardless of the tow vehicle, you need a good sway-control hitch, such as one of those listed above. Reese and Husky both make cheap hitches as well as good hitches, so be sure if you get one of those brands it is a Strait-Line or Centerline model. Blue Ox and Equal-I-Zer don't make cheap hitches.

For tow vehicle for a 9,000-pound TT, you probably don't need a dually, but some three-quarter ton pickups won't be quite enough, So consider a "one ton" 350 or 3500 with single rear wheels (SRW). No, Toyota doesn't make one, so you must move over to Ford, GM or Ram.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 11:56 AM   #12

If you want to tow that trailer with the Toyota, research Hensley and Propride hitches. Get your money back on whatever the dealer put on. Its just not adequate. Good luck.
Old 07-31-2015, 12:16 PM   #13

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
I don't care what type or brand of hitch you buy. It will not solve the problem. Yes many do tow long trailers with a 1/2 half ton, but they arew not doing it safely. I had a Big diesel Ford F-250 heavy duty crew cab pickup that I pulled a 34 foot denali travel trailer the truck had a tow package and air bags on the rear. Everything was set up right to pull that trailer. at over 50 MPH I would get the same thing fish tail and sway even with a big 3/4 ton diesel truck which is a lot heavier than you 1/2 ton. do yourself and us a favor. Get a truck that is made to pull a trailer of that size, preferably a one ton. You need a good heavy truck or that trailer will push you all over the road. Been there done that. I sold the truck and trailer and got a CLass A motor home.
Mel
Old 07-31-2015, 07:32 PM   #14

Weight on the long trailer isn't a problem until you get moving, and then the faster you go the worse it gets. The trailer becomes a large sail, catching wind off passing vehicles, cross winds, or everyday breezes and then the weight pushed by air, starts swaying. Slightly at first, and will continually get worse because the trailer (tail of the dog) outweighs the truck (the dog). Once started, the motion is difficult to stop with a light truck and usually gets worse because a 1/2 ton truck comes with P metric tires for a car like ride. Too much sidewall flex. Soft suspension adds to not being able to stop the sway. A travel trailer is hooked by a ball 3-6 foot behind the rear axle and that is like a giant pry bar pushing the rear side to side as the heavier trailer moves the truck with this lever. The lighter truck is no match for this long trailer. You may prolong the inevitable with a better WDH, but a gust of wind may, at any time, be too much and you will crash. Not trying to scare you, but this is a reality that may happen. Longer trailers require heavier trucks to control them (and longer wheelbase too). The weight of a big V8 or diesel plants the front axle and IF a gust catches the trailer and sways the 3/4 ton, the LT tires and stiffer springs better resist the push from the trailer and stay straight. If small sway is allowed to continue, even a 3/4 ton can get snatched around by an out of control TT. There is a video in another thread that shows a 3/4 ton Ford getting spun out from a TT that swayed and he was going too fast and didn't slow using the trailer brakes to kill the sway.
Think about jockey trucks in industrial parks and ports - they never get to highway speeds, as they wouldn't be able to control 40 to 58 foot of trailer behind them. Road trucks are quite larger than jockey trucks to move trailers cross country. Proper tow vehicle matched to the trailer means safer ride, and people with TT usually have their family with them. Isn't their safety a concern?

NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help