Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-10-2014, 09:45 AM   #15

I believe he was going by the line that was quoted above--if my wife wanted a larger TT, then that is what we would get. His point was that when looking at trailers and tow vehicles, if a larger unit will be considered in the future, it makes sense to buy the tow vehicle now to handle it.
Joe

'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #16

Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
How do you know what I'm going to do? We've camped in a 17' Casita for 8 years; so we know how to live small; we have no intention buying a big TT; we like the non-commercial gov't campgrounds . Who knows what the future brings; gas may get too expensive to travel; then we may return to a Casita.
Great response! You obviously have thought this move up pretty well. There are always a few folks hanging around here who have the idea that you should go big, or go home.

Best of luck finding the right set up for yourself and your lady!

Old 05-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #17

I think what HW4x4 is saying that a 30 footer can easily push the envelop on most 1/2 tons. I don't know where the advertised dry weight comes from but my 30 ft, 7,100 lb unit was well over 8,000 before I completely loaded it. I'm now over 9,000. I pull it with a 2500hd duramax. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about the weight of people, fuel, water, bicycles and the like. If you pull 6%+ grades like Monteagle Pass or Blackrock mountain pass in Tenn/NC its going to tax a vehicle that's not loaded to the max.
BTW, Ed, I live in Columbus GA
Old 05-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvstringpicker View Post
I think what HW4x4 is saying that a 30 footer can easily push the envelop on most 1/2 tons. I don't know where the advertised dry weight comes from but my 30 ft, 7,100 lb unit was well over 8,000 before I completely loaded it. I'm now over 9,000. I pull it with a 2500hd duramax. The nice thing is I don't have to worry about the weight of people, fuel, water, bicycles and the like. If you pull 6%+ grades like Monteagle Pass or Blackrock mountain pass in Tenn/NC its going to tax a vehicle that's not loaded to the max.
BTW, Ed, I live in Columbus GA
Thats why in my original post that I will limit my purchase to "under 7500# WET weight". There are lots of units that meet that spec. BTW, I've pretty well decided to get an F150 Ecoboost with MaxTow and HD Payload.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:40 AM   #19

Just got a 2014 F150 with ecoboost last week and love it!!!! We pull our 30 ft TT with no problems.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399902000.125928.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	853.1 KB
ID:	62660Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1399902018.979812.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	936.6 KB
ID:	62661
Old 05-12-2014, 08:52 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
BTW, I've pretty well decided to get an F150 Ecoboost with MaxTow and HD Payload.
You'll probably have to order it, because most dealers don't stock the ones with HD Payload pkg.

The 2015 F-150 with aluminum body is not scheduled to be available until near year end, so count on ordering a 2014 if you order it now. "Normal" delivery time for a factory order is 6 weeks, but it can vary from 4 to 8 weeks or more.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:10 AM   #21

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
F150s are highly overrated. A 1/2 ton truck still has a 1/2 ton suspension system which is soft and mushy and a short wheelbase. The trailer will control the truck. You want a truck that will control the trailer to avoid swaying and fishtailing which in a lot of cases ends up in a wreck. Read the Ford trailer towing specs to pick the truck you need once you know the trailer you will be towing. If you don't know how much the trailer weighs then you don't know what you need to tow it with.
Old 05-12-2014, 09:11 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager5761 View Post
Just got a 2014 F150 with ecoboost last week and love it!!!! We pull our 30 ft TT with no problems.
Yeah, it will pull it with no problems - even over steep mountain grades. That EcoBoost powertrain is a power house. Mine will easily pull an 8,000-pound fifth wheel RV through the Hill Country without breaking a sweat, but it's severely overloaded over the weight rating of the suspension, brakes and rear axle.

But that pickup has only 6 lugs on the wheels, so it does not have the HD Payload pkg. With a 30-foot TT, you'll be very close to exceeding the GVWR of the tow vehicle if you load the trailer lightly. So weigh the wet and loaded rig when on the road and know where you stand comparing the scaled weight on the two truck axles to the GVWR of the F-150.

You don't want to be overloaded when you're sharing the road with my grandkids.
Old 05-12-2014, 11:17 AM   #23

after 38 years of marriage to the SAME woman, if the DW wants a larger TT, somewhere down the line, she will get it. You can get another NEW truck then to tow it. jmho oooo yea Roll tide
Old 05-12-2014, 07:43 PM   #24

Outdoors RV Owners Club
There is a big difference between the vacations taken while working and the long multi-week trips over several thousand miles. Really take your time with the purchase of your RV. There is probably going to be times you have to wait out some rain and bad weather. Everyone has different wants/needs in a TT & truck. I prefer not to be on the edge of truck ability and TT comfort for me. The same set-up might be way too much for some and way too small for others. It's just cheaper to get what you want the first time and not have to upgrade in just a few years. Enjoy the search.
Highway 4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2014, 08:26 PM   #25

National RV Owners Club
Had a 1500 GMC with a 5.3 c/w cold air, electric fans, over sized tranny cooler and a beefed up tranny, hauled a 24.5 foot 5th wheel. Tell you now I will not do that again, as it is mentioned I was wasted when I got to where I was going. Looked at a 1 ton diesel with a 32/36 5th wheel but instead got a 36 MH DP and am much more happy. So is the DW!!!!!
Old 05-18-2014, 08:13 PM   #26

We not only have Ecoboost, but we also have the 3.31 axle ratio package on a SuperCrew with 145-inch wheelbase. We bought the special towing braking system and maximum trailer towing package. Towing capacity is 9,400 lbs. Our TT is an Ultra Light. The dry weight is 4,213 lbs, hitch weight is 410 lbs and cargo weight is 2,287 pounds. My wife and I don't exceed 350 lbs. We were assured by the Ford dealership AND the RV dealer in Nashville that our setup was fine. Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2014, 09:12 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voyager5761 View Post
We not only have Ecoboost, but we also have the 3.31 axle ratio package on a SuperCrew with 145-inch wheelbase. We bought the special towing braking system and maximum trailer towing package.
The integrated trailer brake controller is an option for your truck, so you could easily have that. But with 3.31 axle, you do NOT have the max tow pkg. So your GVWR is only 7,200 pounds.

Quote:
Towing capacity is 9,400 lbs.
Right. But only if your truck has no options and there is absolutely nothing in the pickup but a skinny driver. Your GCWR is 14,900 pounds, so your towing capacity is 9,400 only when your wet and loaded F-150 with driver, full tank of gas, and weight-distributing hitch weighs less than 5,500 pounds.

Quote:
Our TT is an Ultra Light. The dry weight is 4,213 lbs, hitch weight is 410 lbs and cargo weight is 2,287 pounds.
Dry trailer weight and dry hitch weight are good for computing the percentage of hitch weight, and nothing else. Your hitch weight percentage is 10.25%. so your wet and loaded hitch weight will be about 600 up to 650 pounds when the trailer is loaded for a long camping trip.

Quote:
My wife and I don't exceed 350 lbs. We were assured by the Ford dealership AND the RV dealer in Nashville that our setup was fine. Thoughts?
Your unused payload capacity available for tongue weight is about the same as mine, maybe a bit less because your 4x4 drivetrain more than makes up for my heavier 157" wheelbase and camper shell. And on mine for a long trip last year with 570 pounds of tongue weight, I was overloaded by 100 pounds over the GVWR of my F-150. So your dealerperson is probably right, but if you don't exceed the GVWR of your F-150 then you probably won't have much excess weight capacity for hauling more people or stuff.

So don't brag until you are a few hundred miles from home with the wet and loaded RV trailer, then stop at a truck stop with a CAT scale, fill up with gas, and weigh the wet and loaded rig. Add the weights on the front and rear truck axles, and compare the total to your 7,200 pounds GVWR. Good luck.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:04 PM   #28

We have made our decision and today ordered a sterling grey Ford F-150 Supercrew 4x4 with Ecoboost, 6.5' bed, MaxTow, HD payload. It will be very hard waiting for its delivery; should get the vin number next week. Thanks for all of your help in my decision.

Now we can concentrate on which TT to buy; no big hurry cause the money for that won't be available till fall/winter.

Tags
need help, purchase