Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2014, 12:44 PM   #1

Need help with truck purchase

My wife and I will be retiring in a few months and want to move up to a travel trailer with a lot more room than our current Casita (pulled by a Toyota 4-Runner). We're looking at purchasing a TT in the 28-30' range; wet weight less than 7500#. We will be pulling it all over the US on several-week-long trips; not full-timing.

To pull it, we are looking at a Ford F-150 Ecoboost w/Max Tow, 3.73 electronic locking axle, 5.5' bed. I was thinking about getting one with HD payload but don't want the 6.5' bed and our dealer was having a hard time finding one. He was able however to find several with just MaxTow.

So, what do you think of the F-150 Ecoboost, MaxTow pulling a 28-30', under 7500# TT? I want to make sure I don't make a mistake. The wife wants a bigger TT but I want to hold it to no more than I have stated.

Thanks for your replies.
Eddie

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-02-2014, 12:56 PM   #2

They are great trucks and will handle that load well.

Why do you not want a 6.5' bed?

Old 05-02-2014, 01:11 PM   #3

The truck will be my everyday driver and I want a shorter truck for maneuvering, parking, etc. I might go with a 6.5' bed if the longer WB makes towing significantly better.
Old 05-02-2014, 04:09 PM   #4

The longer wheelbase will tow a LITTLE more stable than the shorter wheelbase. It gives the truck a little more leverage against the trailer swaying.
NFlcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 04:30 PM   #5

A regular short bed is not a big deal, I promise. You will get very used to it very fast.
Old 05-02-2014, 07:16 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
My wife and I will be retiring in a few months ...
Then you have plenty of time to order exactly the F-150 you want. So stop trying to have a dealer find one in stock somewhere, and order one from the factory. If you order tonight, and if it's not already too late to order a 2014, then you'll have either one of the last 2014s made, or one of the first 2015s. If you order a 2015, and assuming the assembly line start date is July 7th, then you can expect to be driving it in late August or earlier. (I'm not a dealerperson, so I don't know the first date of production for 2015 F-150s. But Ford assembly lines often crank up the new model year on the first or second Monday after July 4th.)

Quote:
To pull it, we are looking at a Ford F-150 Ecoboost w/Max Tow, 3.73 electronic locking axle, 5.5' bed. I was thinking about getting one with HD payload but don't want the 6.5' bed and our dealer was having a hard time finding one.
It will be a mistake to settle for a Max Tow. You will be very close to being overloaded over the GVWR of a Max Tow. Order one to get the HD Payload Pkg, which has 8,200 pounds GVWR. Yes, 6.5' or 8' bed is probably required, but you'll get used to it in a very short time.

With HD Payload pkg, you can add a topper or tonneau cover to the bed and thereby haul lots of stuff protected from the weather and without being overloaded while dragging your TT. And you won't be needing to worry nearly as much about exceeding the weight ratings of your F-150.

Quote:
So, what do you think of the F-150 Ecoboost, MaxTow pulling a 28-30', under 7500# TT?
I think you'll be too close to the GVWR of the F-150. I would much rather have more wiggle room as to payload capacity than have the shorter bed.

Suggestion: Go to Ford.com and build&price your new truck. First choose XLT or Lariat trim (HD Payload pkg not available with fancier trim levels), then the bed length, EcoBoost engine, and 3.73 Limited Slip axle. With that combo, the max tow pkg and HD Payload pkg will both automatically be added to the "packages" included in your build&price. If you don't choose the 3.73 LS axle, then you'll never see the option for the HD Payload pkg.

After Ford.com includes your trim and options and the HD Payload pkg, then print out the details and take it to your Ford dealer. Order the truck using those specs you printed out from Ford.com. Maybe see if the dealerperson can make some changes you'd really like to have, but be sure any changes they made does not delete the HD Payload pkg.

For example, the HD Payload pkg includes 17" LT load range E tires. No, you cannot have 18" or 20" tires and still get the HD Payload pkg.

I was just now successful in building a 2014 F-150 Lariat SuperCrew 4x4 with 6.5' box, 3.5L EcoBoost engine, and 3.73 LS axle. Base MSRP was $47,160, and included packages:

500A = basic Lariat trim
HD Payload Pkg
Max Trailer Tow pkg with power tow mirrors with chrome caps
Power Equipment group (windows, door locks, mirrors
17" 7-lug aluminum wheels, high capacity
LT245/75R17E BSW A/T tires

Of course there are all kinds of options you can add to that - just do not add any options that require a change from the 3.73 LS axle.

With Lariat trim, there are three different equipment group mixes: base 500a, mid 501a and luxury 502a. Check them out and see if you want to pay extra for some of those features. For example, in 501a combined with the Max Tow pkg, you get power fold tow mirrors. Yes, you probably want power fold tow mirrors unless your garage door is at least 10' wide. 502a is not available with HD Payload, so don't even look at that one. You don't need air conditioned seats anyway. 502a "luxury" trim includes navigation and a hole in the roof, but those are also seperate standalone options, so you can still get those with the HD Payload pkg.
Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 08:00 PM   #7

If building a truck to get MaxTow and HD payload, is it worth it to take the "build" to a few dealerships to get the best deal or when building are all dealerships pretty much equal in the pricing from the factory?
Old 05-02-2014, 10:36 PM   #8

Outdoors RV Owners Club
My TT is 30ft and 6900 UVW. I go all over the Pacific Northwest with it. There is no way I would do it with 1/2 ton truck. JMHO. I know many people do. Before you sign, I would really look at the 3/4 ton trucks, gas or diesel. I know this is not a gas vs diesel thread but my 6.7 diesel will pull a TT like mine better and get better mpg than many gassers and that includes the V6 eco-boost. I get 13 towing and 21+ highway bare. My truck weighs close to 8K and does not get pushed around by the TT. 55K OTD, loaded.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 09:54 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardo37 View Post
If building a truck to get MaxTow and HD payload, is it worth it to take the "build" to a few dealerships to get the best deal or when building are all dealerships pretty much equal in the pricing from the factory?
Depending on your negotiating skills, there can easily be several hundred dollars difference between a good deal at one dealer and the best deal at another.

Assuming no trade-in or lease return that muddies the water:

Almost all dealers will settle on invoice price plus TT&L and minus Ford factory incentives such as rebates or low-rate financing. IF you deal with a manager and not a salesman, so they don't have to pay a commission to a salesman. But they are not going to offer that price without some haggling. Without much haggling, you can usually buy it for about $500 over invoice (except in big-city dealerships that have high overhead).

You can determine invoice price by build&price on one of the big car-price websites, such as kbb.com or Edmunds.com.

I spent too much time in the Middle East where you had to haggle to buy anything, or else pay way too much. So I hate haggling. One way to not have to haggle and still get a good price is to get an X-Plan Pin. Then when you get to the dealership, don't talk to anyone but the fleet manager. Ask the fleet manager if he will order you a new F-150 for X-Plan price. If the answer is yes, then your deal is done and no more haggling. The X-Plan price is a coupla hundred more than invoice, but the dealer is not allowed to add any ADP (additional dealer profit) items to the sales contract, and the dealer prep/deliver charge is limited to a reasonable amount.

Ford X-Plan is the "friends and neighbors" plan. It allows Ford employees to give their friends and neighbors a good no-haggle price on a new Ford, to increase Ford sales. I've used it several times. X-Plan is also given out to companies that are suppliers to FoMoCo, or Ford business "Partners". Check the list of companies that have X-Plans and maybe your employer is one of them. If so, then just go to your Human Resources offices and ask about a Ford X-Plan PIN. Or you can find a Ford (not dealership) employee and ask for an X-Plan PIN. They're fairly easy to obtain. Here is a link to the X-Plan rules:
X Plan Rules

Here is a link to the list of X=Plan Partners:
X Plan Partners

There are always a few folks that brag about getting a price far less than invoice. Those folks are always suspect in my mind. Sorta like bragging at a bar late on Saturday night.
Old 05-03-2014, 10:05 AM   #10

Quote:
The wife wants a bigger TT but I want to hold it to no more than I have stated.
Buy a bigger truck now as it is going to cost more when you trade later.
okgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2014, 12:28 PM   #11

Outdoors RV Owners Club
So, you're going to buy a 1/2 ton, load it to the max or beyond, keep it a year or two, then trade it for a 3/4 ton. That is done all the time.
Highway 4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014, 08:40 AM   #12

I did the trading up thing. Towing with a 1/2 ton vs a 3/4 ton is night and day. Take your time and shop for some deals. I picked up a new 13 Ram Laramine 2500 4x4 diesel for 48. The sticker price was 61. Not much higher in price that other loaded 1/2 tons. I tow a 31 foot tt at about 8000 pounds. The truck does not break a sweat and purrs down the highway at low rpm's. 12-13 towing and 21 hwy empty. No more worrying about tw, loaded weight, sway etc. Less worries equals peace of mind, better travels/enjoyment with a lower bp.
Old 05-09-2014, 12:06 AM   #13

Wed had a '14 GMC 1500 as our coach toad. We were selling the coach and were planning to nab a trailer. Our truck had 11,000lb rating (the 1/2 ton one). We were looking at 8,000lb trailer. I thought long and hard, and thought....you know what....I'm getting back into a 3/4T diesel. There's nothing like towing with the right rig. At 7,000lbs a 1/2 ton would work. You'll be a little worn out when you arrive at your destination but it will work. Don't forget to town without full tanks, water makes a big weight difference. If your 1/2 ton sags, put bags on it. Shop around, there's some good deals out there. Now we ended up with a 12,000lb dry weight (17k lbs loaded).
Old 05-09-2014, 05:13 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Highway 4x4 View Post
So, you're going to buy a 1/2 ton, load it to the max or beyond, keep it a year or two, then trade it for a 3/4 ton. That is done all the time.
How do you know what I'm going to do? We've camped in a 17' Casita for 8 years; so we know how to live small; we have no intention buying a big TT; we like the non-commercial gov't campgrounds . Who knows what the future brings; gas may get too expensive to travel; then we may return to a Casita.

Tags
need help, purchase