Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2015, 09:56 AM   #15

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
Lord knows touching the brakes or just picking the right gear at the top like a real truck driver would be out of the question.
I have a class a cdl with all available endorsements, including HAZMAT, and have used those privileges extensively in the mountains of the western US with a plethora of equipment. I've descended many long steep mountain passes in seventh or sixth gear while others pass me, sometimes their brakes smoking or headed to it, enjoying the view the whole way down. Now, the computer that runs the truck does all the hard guessing work for picking gears.

I'll just assume that your opinion wasn't directed solely at me.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2015, 11:38 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bigmess View Post
I'll just assume that your opinion wasn't directed solely at me.
It was directed at your comment about the exhaust brake. You obviously know that when decending a steep grade you don't just leave it in high gear and mash on the whoa pedal. If your bakes start smoking it's too late.

If you pick the right gear, you don't have to use the brakes much either. Granite pass, 10 miles of up to 8% with Manditory trailer brake check at the top for RV and commercial alike. Full grey and black. Only had to use the brakes to negotiate the hairpins with a hemi Ram. 36' work and play with a quad and rzr laoded, and full grey and black tanks. Close to the rated limits of my vehicle. 4,000' drop in 10-12 miles.
drittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:01 PM   #17

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by drittal View Post
It was directed at your comment about the exhaust brake. You obviously know that when decending a steep grade you don't just leave it in high gear and mash on the whoa pedal. If your bakes start smoking it's too late.
There's a picture in the TA truck stop in Denver of a truck already in the runaway vehicle escape ramp, another at the very bottom of the ramp, and another heading down the hill, brake billowing out smoke. What's that line about bad things happening in threes?

The way my truck works is in tow/haul mode with the exhaust brake switched to "auto", the truck begins to descend and pick up speed. At about four MPH over the cruise set speed, the truck will downshift and apply the exhaust brake. IF it continues to gain speed, it will constrict the exhaust further. If I feel uncomfortable with the speed, I can apply the foot pedal brakes, slow a little, and if the engine senses the transmission can downshift again, it will.

The speed at which I took my foot off the brakes is my new downhill set speed for the exhaust brake and transmission to work to keep.

Even with the exhaust brake working, if a vehicle needed a small amount of pedal brake pressure to keep the descent speed in check, it seems like it would be very little, as the exhaust brake creates more restriction if I press the brake pedal. When I release the brake pedal, the computer changes the amount of exhaust restriction to maintain the new downhill set speed. This is verified by the vehicle information center in the dashboard, showing the exhaust brake working harder when I apply brake pedal pressure than when I am simply allowing the system to work alone to control downhill speed.

It's rather smartly done, and I am impressed with the ability of the various systems to work with together with me to easily and safely descend while towing. There hasn't been a single white knuckle moment with my vehicle combination yet, but I am aware that I have much more truck than my trailer needs.

And I like it that way!
Old 11-07-2015, 12:06 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
I am confounded by the number of owners who seem to think if they overload their tow vehicle and then drive fast it is manly. At least that is the way I interpret their posts.

It says "rebel" and expresses a lack of respect for the safety of themselves, their family and those around them. While many will drive for years and not have an incident they are passing their "wisdom" some who do not have the knowledge or skill to accommodate all of the variables for a safe driving experience.
Old 11-07-2015, 06:06 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
I am confounded by the number of owners who seem to think if they overload their tow vehicle and then drive fast it is manly. At least that is the way I interpret their posts.

It says "rebel" and expresses a lack of respect for the safety of themselves, their family and those around them. While many will drive for years and not have an incident they are passing their "wisdom" some who do not have the knowledge or skill to accommodate all of the variables for a safe driving experience.
Well said. "As they say, can't fix....."
Old 11-07-2015, 07:57 PM   #20

could you explain how at 26k iam over weight ..I scale my truck and check all axle weights and tire weights. But now you tell me i am over. I dont understand.
TL259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 09:08 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by TL259 View Post
could you explain how at 26k iam over weight ..I scale my truck and check all axle weights and tire weights. But now you tell me i am over. I dont understand.
An educated guess based on 2015 numbers published by the big three giving their gas powered 3500 drw trucks GCWR under 26k. Maybe the numbers I have found are incorrect? In another thread you state you have an 03 F350.

20,500 chevy
22,500 Ford
23,400 Ram
Old 11-08-2015, 02:13 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Depends on your specs. For example, if your truck is a 2012 Ford, GMC or Chevy DRW, then you're overloaded:

2012 F-350 DRW 4x4 with 6.2L gasser and optional 4.30 axle: GCWR = 22,500. If you are loaded to 26,000, then you're overloaded by 3,500 pounds. If you don't have the optional axle ratio, then GCWR = 19,500 and you're overloaded by 6,500 pounds.

2012 GM 3500 DRW with 6.0L gasser and 3.73axle: GCWR = 16,000
Same TV with 4.10 axle: GCWR = 20.500. So with a GM gasser DRW, you're overloaded more than with a Ford.

2012 RAM? I don't find specs for a 2012 Ram DRW with gas engine.
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 02:47 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Depends on your specs. For example, if your truck is a 2012 Ford, GMC or Chevy DRW, then you're overloaded:

2012 F-350 DRW 4x4 with 6.2L gasser and optional 4.30 axle: GCWR = 22,500. If you are loaded to 26,000, then you're overloaded by 3,500 pounds. If you don't have the optional axle ratio, then GCWR = 19,500 and you're overloaded by 6,500 pounds.

2012 GM 3500 DRW with 6.0L gasser and 3.73axle: GCWR = 16,000
Same TV with 4.10 axle: GCWR = 20.500. So with a GM gasser DRW, you're overloaded more than with a Ford.

2012 RAM? I don't find specs for a 2012 Ram DRW with gas engine.
2012 ram 3500 not available with gas engine only diesel. 5.7 litre hemi was only gas engine available that year for heavy duty. 2013 and up 6.4 litre hemi available in entire lineup of heavy duty trucks.

Chad
onechaddude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 03:04 PM   #24

He stated in another thread...

Quote:
Has anyone put a full air ride suspension in their tv ? or what is the best way to help with the sag and harsh ride when the tv gets heavy? I guess what i am asking is I have a 03 f350 cc lb srw tv and most of the time it tows and rides very well but when i load lots of fire wood and stuff in the bed the truck sags just a little bit more and the ride gets very harsh its not overloaded i have weighed it. I am asking all of you what is the best way to modify the rear suspension and what mods ride and handle the best.Thank you for your help.
These are the #'s I found for 2003 Fords. 26k appears way over.
Old 11-08-2015, 07:40 PM   #25

ok that make sense. thank you for that.
Old 11-08-2015, 08:01 PM   #26

thanks for your help. just went outside and looked at the gcwr and it is 20k. i just all ways went off the axle wr. and was all ways with in spec. good thing with my trailer that i tow is very light i am with in gcwr and the one time i towed the heavy trailer i was not. thank you for your help. now i will never make that mistake again. thank you again.
Old 11-09-2015, 05:31 PM   #27

The reason that people don't like gassers for heavy hauling is that Diesels are much superior to gas engines for hauling heavy. More power, torque engine life , etc. Gas is fine for lighter tows.
My set up weighs about 24,500 and l am much happier with a diesel
After owning and driving 18 wheelers for 35 yrs if it isn't diesel l don't want it !
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 05:34 PM   #28

The peak torque of a diesel is at a much lower RPM then a gasser.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow