Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-01-2011, 08:55 PM   #1

Need new tires for my tow vehicle

I need new tires for my 2007 2500 Silverado Diesel Crew Cab. I am towing my 5th wheel from Alaska back to Florida. I also want to be able to use the warranty if I need to, so need a tire type where I can get it fixed in most states. What would you recommend?
I have LT245/75R16 on the truck now.

Thanks, Tom
mga60tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-01-2011, 09:05 PM   #2

I like Michelin's myself. A few bucks more, but they pay you back by lasting longer, and giving that warm fuzzy feeling. JMO

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:45 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
I'm another Michelin fan, but a slightly less costly option to Michelins that seems to give good service is the BF Goodrich Commercial TA.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 12:07 PM   #4

I did an extensive search on the diesel forums for new tires for my truck. A lot of users recommend Toyo or Nitto tires. An these seem like they would perform ok but wear life was only 40K to 45K.
I ended up buying Michelin tires for my truck. I bought the LTX M/S2 a 70 K mileage rated tire. Discount tire handles them and the warranty is nationwide.
I have read that if you buy from Wal-Mart/Sam's than you can only go to them for warranty work on the tires if they need warranty.
Jim W.
Old 07-02-2011, 12:38 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Both my car and minivan wear Michelins.

However, my 1/2-ton Silverado has BFGoodrich All-Terrain T/As. Great, durable tires at a non-Michelin price. Can't beat it.

Peacekeeper6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 04:53 PM   #6

I have also had the B. F. Goodrich tires on my Blazer. They wear like iron, but for heavy hauling I still like the Michelin's better.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 09:13 PM   #7

OK, I'll throw a different tire in the mix: Good Year Wrangler Silent Armor Pro Series, 10 ply. Took off the OEM Michelins at 2600 miles and installed 6 of the Silent Armors. A rather aggresive tread design, might come in handy driving from Alaska or getting out of a grassy camp site after a night of rain, but extremely good wear and quiet. Run about the same as Michelins. Put them on my presious 2005 Dually and still looked like new when traded with approx 35000 on them.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #8

Michelin's are probably the best tire in this space. I think the MS2 will do you well.

If price is a factor, I'd seriously look at General Grabber. Its a tire that has done really well and was rated highly by consumer reports! TireVan - General Grabber HTS Tires

G'luck with your drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post
I need new tires for my 2007 2500 Silverado Diesel Crew Cab. I am towing my 5th wheel from Alaska back to Florida. I also want to be able to use the warranty if I need to, so need a tire type where I can get it fixed in most states. What would you recommend?

Thanks, Tom
enthusiast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #9

Take a look at TIRERACK on the web. Have purchased three times from them and been very well pleased. Had the tires mounted at WALMART and have used WM's
program to continue to keep the tires balanced and rotated. TIRERACK has a very good, informative research information on tires to purchase plus good feedback from prior purchasers.
JB
JBDISCOVERY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 05:08 PM   #10

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Make sure you get the proper load rating to handle the payload pin weight. It never hurts to go up ^ one load rating.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 08:17 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Another vote for Michelin. They cost a few $$$ more, but I have never had a tire problem with an Michelin. I cannot say the same with Firestone, Goodyear or Goodrich. I have also had good sucess with Bridgestone and Cooper.

Michelin is on both the car and the truck.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 09:37 PM   #12

I put BF Goodrich commercial TA tires on my dually at 57K miles, it now has 103K miles on the odometer and I'll need new tires this fall. I've had one tire repaired; seems it picked up a finish nail just after the tornado wrecked many homes along the highway from my house into town. That was the only issue with my BF Goodrich TA commercial tires. My thinking is: since they are used by UPS delivery vans they are good enough for my dually.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mga60tw View Post

Thanks, Tom
I vote for Michelin. Try to put one size larger tire if you can and get one that has a higher weight rating than you current have. Will say on the side of the tire in small print (rating, lbs, etc.).
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 06:30 PM   #14

Got 120k from the first set of MICHELIN LTX A/S with 4/32's remaining. Second set could make it to 250k.

The other tire brand that catches my interest is BRIDGESTONE Duravis in several types.
Rednax is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires