Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2013, 10:29 PM   #15

Okay so for the frontal area this is what i got from the manual:

40 sq ft (3.72 sq m)

What should i be reading or looking for in the manual ?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2013, 10:48 PM   #16

trade in the jeep and get a echo boost f150 it will haul it check out the numbers

RVM481968 eagle 475hp Detroit 8v92
Dwayne & Shara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by breed View Post
trade in the jeep and get a echo boost f150 it will haul it check out the numbers
Well if i do that then i want something that can haul up to 8-10k lbs :P haha .
Old 08-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adaycj View Post
Frontal area may be a concern in this specific application.
Frontal area of the trailer is definitely a limiter. Frontal area translates into aerodynamic drag (wind drag). At highway speeds, the wind drag can be more of a limiter than trailer weight or length.

For a while I towed a 7x14 cargo trailer with a 2003 F-150 SuperCrew with 4.6L 2V engine with 3.55 rear end. The tow rating for that pickup was 6,200 pounds, but it struggled with an empty cargo trailer that grossed less than 3,000 pounds. Even empty, because of aero drag that trailer was too much for that underpowered pickup. After a trip from west Texas to Phoenix with a load of furniture in that cargo trailer, and the return trip back unloaded, I decided to trade that pickup for something with more towing power. You don't even notice the grades on I-10 in southeast Arizona in a tow vehicle with adequate towing power, but with that pickup and even an empty cargo trailer you'll definitely notice climbing out of dry gulch valleys and climbing over ridges.
Old 08-22-2013, 12:22 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by aedubber View Post
Okay so for the frontal area this is what i got from the manual:

40 sq ft (3.72 sq m)

What should i be reading or looking for in the manual ?
So you can tow a 8' wide trailer 5' high. It is telling you "popup or folding trailer only". You selected tow vehicle will not work. The good news is that lots of people ignore frontal area specs, and it likely won't make it much more unsafe. The bad news is that it will put a huge additional load on the vehicle to operate well above the frontal spec. It will "beat up" your vehicle a lot. You stated you wanted to avoid this, so upgrade or look at popups.
Old 08-22-2013, 01:34 PM   #20

Wow okay thank you and good to know ! I been doing some reconsideration and I think I might just keep the jeep as my daily vehicle and splurge on a class C or high end class B motor home . Seems like a more ideal way of things plus having the convenience and ease of just getting in and go. I think a a budget of 40-50k I could score something decent and nice.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:42 PM   #21

As others have already said, your limiting factors are the GVWR of your jeep (which includes axle and tire ratings) and frontal area of tt. Some tow ratings manafactures advertise these days imo are bs. Although i have no experience towing with any jeep, i would suppect due to the wheel base and your "trail rated" suspension i would aim on the smaller side of a tt under 23ft under 4000lbs loaded with a nice ayrodynamic profile. Remember around 12% of tt weight will be on your jeep plus passengers etc. Dont overload your jeep. Stay under your 1200lbs payload.
Dont believe anyone claiming only 3/4 ton trucks can tow safely and take advice from people with actual tow experience using a jeep like yours as every type of vehicle is different. Dont listen to RV dealers and make sure you have everything setup correctly

Tags
towing, weight