RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > Trailer Towing and Tow Vehicles Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2019, 06:10 AM   #15
laj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
How the heck have i put 2000 miles on my 6.0 this week? I just dont get it. 10.5 mpg pulling the same trailer a 17 dodge with the 6.7 gets 8.5mpg pulling. Im dumbfounded at this point.

not sure why you donít get it. its easy. you didnít let your 6.0 read these £•~>{} blanket comments lmao. we ran several 6.0ís right from the factory without a single issue. just maintained them with standard maint. there are 1000ís of these out there stock running everyday.

laj is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 06:19 AM   #16

I don't know where you are located but have you considered looking north of the border? The prairies is truck country up here and rust usually isn't an issue. Right now with the exchange rate and the poor economy here in Alberta there are some really good deals.

Old 07-10-2019, 07:18 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
How much work did you do on your 6.0? Those International engines are known to have issues no matter if yours went 2,000 trouble free miles or not.

If you work on that engine enough you can keep it running by fixing all the known weak areas.

You can watch the Long Long Honeymoon on Youtube where the Truck 'SeeMore' was so called bullet proofed. I think 'SeeMore' might have a 6.0 diesel.

Yep, you are old school.
Stock except for exhaust. Alot of the problems with those motors has been attributed to tuners, lack of maintenance, and techs that dont know what theyre doing.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:31 AM   #18

I think Chevy used the big 8.1 litre gas engine until 2003(ish) and Ford with the 6.8 litre V10 until 2010 I think.

It will be a lot of leg work to find a good used clean truck. I would recommend changing all belts and hoses if not already done with paper work proof.

I do not know exactly when the Ford (International) 7.3 litre diesel was turbo'ed but that engine should be on your list also.
IMHO the non turbo'ed 7.3 did not provide much power. I had a friend that used an old F-250 non turbo 7.3 diesel as a farm truck. He said that engine was a dog and took a long time to build any power.

Again, I like that Ford truck with the V10 that Normal Dave found.
tuffr2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 AM   #19

08-10 Ford w/the v10 seems to be the sweet spot in my mind. I keep a lookout for clean ones. Saw a 09 with 129k miles to for $17k the other day at a dealer. That was a solid deal for a CC SRW Lariat. It sold in 2-3 days.
The nice thing about the 08+ trucks is you get a modern interior, added noise isolation, and of course still the 5 speed, which is Rock solid.

The 8.1L is also a good motor, my neighbor had one and loved it in an Avalanche of all vehicles, but it got 10 loaded and also 10...unloaded, so the mileage is pretty poor. Alison trans of course is phenominal - I think that is also a 5 speed.

Stay away from the siren song of the 6.0.....i tried it and got burned hard. And it was well dealer maintained and not abused. If your full-time in the road the last thing you want to do is depend your livelyhood on something that is a shop queen, I did it. It sucked. That engine works works for people who are familiar with the eccentricities of the engine and prepared for it or are diesel mechanics (jshopes81...) but for someone who has never had a diesel before, buying a high mileage used one is asking for trouble. Example: I blew every turbo boot and the CAC....at different times on different grades in different states ,and had them all expensively fixed at...different dealers. and thats not even a 6.0 problem! more of a "new to boost/diesel" problem. Then add on the sensor/wiring issues, injector issues, EGR issues...nah.

The older trucks are nice too, but you start running into things like 4 speed transmissions, 90s interiors, lack of side airbags etc. This is why I typically stay away from the 7.3L. Even the turbo one is slow.

Whatever truck you buy make sure to get the bugs ironed out and learn the vehicle before you leave - take it on multiple road trips, try and have it for like 6 months if you can - easy cheap maintenance at home or at a friendly auto shop is a whole nother ball game when your on the road and new everywhere.
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:13 AM   #20

Older trucks in your price range 2500/3500 for sure. Most will be diesels. Best of the older diesels will be a 5.9L Dodge Cummins. The Cummins 5.9 is a nearly bullet proof motor. Their worst problem was the 47RE automatic. It was simply not up to the power. When they swapped to the 48RE that problem went away.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 09:32 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jshopes81 View Post
By this statement i cant even understand how mine just drug my 10k travel trailer from pittsburgh to cape hateras and then on to st. Augustine florida. Its headed to the keys in 2 days. I just cant figure it out.
Dude!

Even if the 6.0 had a 50% failure rate it would still have a 50% success rate.

No one, NOT EVEN FORD denies the 6.0 was a terrible engine. The engine was partially redesigned and the designation was changed in a week attempt to avoid the bad reputation. Ford designed the 6.7 in house to distance themselves from the 6.0.

Fords own marketing trashed the 6.0 to make their in house 6.7 different and better.

Just because there are thousands of 6.0 out there pulling reliability does not mean it was a good, reliable reputable engine.

In the life of retail automotive markets the 6.0 was/is junk and should be avoided
Old 07-11-2019, 12:12 PM   #22

Thank you for the suggestions and advice. I have found a nice F150 2011 77,000 miles on it 3.5 ecoboost. What is the consensus on towing a 7,000 lb(gross) trailer with that truck? Is that enough power, tow capacity is listed at 9,800lbs so thinking it should be.
ready2leave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #23

Should be fine. However your not going to have any room for more without also getting more truck. Thats is always the big problem. Once you stsrt down the RV life, especially full timing you find something is just not right. Thus you trade for more, bigger, different. That often means you need more truck. I always suggest buy the tow vehicle for your next trailer.
450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 12:54 PM   #24

That is why I initally thought about a 3/4 or 1 ton. Leaves room for more. But with it being just me and the dog, I don't really need much more.
ready2leave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 01:11 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
IMHO the non turbo'ed 7.3 did not provide much power. I had a friend that used an old F-250 non turbo 7.3 diesel as a farm truck. He said that engine was a dog and took a long time to build any power.
My grandpa had one; geared to tow anything it topped out wide open and empty at 60 mph. It was about as doggy as you can imagine.
jjackrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 02:30 PM   #26

You will be ok if 7,000lbs is the max. The Eco-Boost will be able to tow with plenty of go power but you may need to fight sway until you get your WD / sway control hitch dialed in.

That truck will also make a great daily driver and will put a smile on your face when you step on the gas peddle. Your doggie will like it also.

I towed a 26.75' 5,500 lb trailer with a 2011 F-150 with a 5.0 litre and that was a perfect combination with just a Drawtite WD hitch. With the Eco-Boost you will have the best towing 1/2 ton truck built in 2011. It will tow more like a diesel engine with torque low in the RPM range. You can go to YouTube and get lots of views on that truck. Most views are very positive. One video shows 205,000 miles on one stock truck.
Old 07-11-2019, 04:06 PM   #27

I can tell you guys right off where you guys screwed up with the 6.0s. Dealer. Right there is the mistake. They only "fix" them to how international made them. Price a rebuild on a dodge slushbox, youll spend more on the transmission of a dodge than addressing all the 6.0 problems at their worst, 48re included. Ok motor attached to a garbage truck.

Tuffr, the 7.3 idi turbo was built in early 94, replaced by the powerstroke for 94.5.

I cant figure out how anyone likes a dodge but then i remind myself theres a market for colt 45 and schlitz.
Jshopes81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 03:02 AM   #28

I googled 'Generations of Ford diesel engines'. I did not realize the turbo on the good ole 7.3 diesel was only offered for about 1 model year. Emissions killed the 7.3 for the 6.0 then the 6.4 each interation a bit more powerful with additional emission changes. From what I read the 6.4 diesel was much better than the 6.0 but still had a few issues.

Reading about those old engines gave me shakes. Ford took International / Navistar to court over the 6.0 litre engine failures.

Also I keep seeing and reading that the 2011 introduction of the in-house Ford built 6.7 is a pretty good engine with not massive failures. I am still unclear on the power ratings in 2011 of 375HP and 735ft. lbs of torque that Ford issued a service bulletin to bring those engine to Ford to have it reflashed to 400HP and 800ft.lbs. of torque. Then upped the factory rating to the same 400hp and 800ft. lbs. of torque for the 2012 model year.

I had a new 2012 Ford dually until I traded for a new 2017 Ford F-250 gasser. I had the dually for 6.5 trouble free years and thought it was a good truck.

OP - did you buy that 2011 F-150 Eco-Boost yet? If so, what do you think of that truck?